Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 9,023 times

Advertisements

hey guys! im new to this forum and currently trying to apply to college.
i just moved to florida a few months ago and i am trying to claim florida residency for tuition purposes.
i live with my brother who is a florida residence and is therefore my claimant and also pays tax blah blah like any other typical resident. i was wondering,i know i need legal guardian papers for university in florida and my question is............ where do i start? how do i get that legal guardianship done so i can fax it to the universities to claim florida residency? i need major help here as right now i am depressed and if i dont get fl residency i will kill myself
oh and my parents dont live here.... and WILL I BE ABLE TO CLAIM FLORIDA RESIDENCY CUZ OF MY BROTHER AND WILL I GET LEGAL GUARDIAN PAPERS IN TIME FOR COLLEGES?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:11 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief101 View Post
hey guys! im new to this forum and currently trying to apply to college.
i just moved to florida a few months ago and i am trying to claim florida residency for tuition purposes.
i live with my brother who is a florida residence and is therefore my claimant and also pays tax blah blah like any other typical resident. i was wondering,i know i need legal guardian papers for university in florida and my question is............ where do i start? how do i get that legal guardianship done so i can fax it to the universities to claim florida residency? i need major help here as right now i am depressed and if i dont get fl residency i will kill myself
oh and my parents dont live here.... and WILL I BE ABLE TO CLAIM FLORIDA RESIDENCY CUZ OF MY BROTHER AND WILL I GET LEGAL GUARDIAN PAPERS IN TIME FOR COLLEGES?
Harder to get in state tuition than it used to be. You cannot move to the state just to come to college. You have to show that you are a resident who has had a full time job for 12 months, permanent ties to Florida, and not merely coming to the state to go to college. Being from another state and attending college does not even make you a resident in the eyes of the state so that you can change to in state tuition for grad school etc.

State University System of Florida | Board of Governors : For Students
This sight will give you more facts and checking with admissions office of school you plan to attend would be your best bet.

One thing I do remember from when my son was in college , you cannot receive money for tuition from parents who live out of state, have you as dependent on their insurance, or as a dependent on their income tax.
As for guardianship for an adult(18 is considered adult) you would have to be declared incapable of taking care of yourself in a court hearing.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:17 PM

nooo u didnt read my post .. :P my brother is a resident of florida. i live with him which means i need legal guardian papers, any idea where i should start? i am a dependent student, under 18

Old 01-08-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
nooo u didnt read my post .. :P my brother is a resident of florida. i live with him which means i need legal guardian papers, any idea where i should start? i am a dependent student, under 18

Uh yes, I did. I read it to mean that you were here to get residency for college. Missed the under 18 at the end,though. My bad. Sorry didn't realize you came down to go to high school and get your HS degree here first. That may make it easier. Your brother and parents will need a lawyer and have to go to court to pass the guardianship to your brother. But the way I understand the residency law for most colleges; you , your parents, and your brother will have to give some other reason than to get in state tuition. Schools will check to see that your parents are not paying your tuition or declaring you as a dependent on their income tax or health insurance.

Actually I am surprised the schools here in county haven't already asked for guardianship papers in case of emergency since your parents don't live here.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:52 PM

hmm so if i get that done,then hopefully i will get the in-state status. My parents dont live here either,this will be hard to do but i really need in-state or i wont be going to college. if i get out of state i will be really depressed, my hopes of going to "florida state" will be ruined

Old 01-09-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
hmm so if i get that done,then hopefully i will get the in-state status. My parents dont live here either,this will be hard to do but i really need in-state or i wont be going to college. if i get out of state i will be really depressed, my hopes of going to "florida state" will be ruined
If your only reason for coming to the state is to get in state tuition most colleges have the clause that you will not pass the residency status to get in state tuition. Coming a year in advance and living in the state for senior year of HS might help but the only way you will know is if you and your brother talk to Florida State admissions. I would imagine that your brother will have to be your guardian for a full year and prove that he is providing financially for you before you go to college to get the in state tuition status; so you might have to wait a year to start college. Work somewhere full time so you can prove this is your permanent residency and then apply.

With parents living out of state the college might question the reason for guardianship to make sure it is valid for something other than the tuition. If they provide you any assistance then the state will say you do not qualify.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:42 AM

ahhh i see i don't want to wait a year for college sigh sigh.................well my brother is gonna call monday so hopefully things go well. I want to thank you for your help! much appreciated!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
ahhh i see i don't want to wait a year for college sigh sigh.................well my brother is gonna call monday so hopefully things go well. I want to thank you for your help! much appreciated!
Sure. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County