Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 11:23 AM

35 posts, read 91,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Brevard County has a current unemployment rate of +/- 12%, not including those who have given up on finding employment, or the chronically unemployed. This only looks to get higher with the closure of Cape Canaveral space exploration programs. Sorry, it doesn't matter what area you live, if you don't have the skills, and the area you are looking doesn't have the jobs, why put your families through the anguish?
I must say in some ways I agree and we did recently move back to NJ due to my Husband being laid off and no work ...but it does depend on where in Brevard county you are looking and what you plan on doing once there.

If you can find work the cost of living is very cheap compared to other areas but its cheap due to the lack of work...it really is a catch 22

I have lived many different places west coast to east and north to south and really the cost of living is dictated by the area ...lower cost of living generally is lower paying jobs and less work to be had.....higher cost of living is generally more jobs etc. It is all supply and demand.

Don't be discouraged though .....if you really want to move you will find a way to make it work .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Hypothetically, if we assume that your husband (your family's lone source of income) is able to secure a job for his level of skills, he will probably max out at $10 per hour in Brevard County. This is assuming a lot because $10/hr jobs are extremely scarce nationally, even rarer in the Florida economy. This would translate (in the best of circumstances) to a gross yearly income to feed a family of 6 to $19200. If you can find a rental for $800 per month plus utilities, you will have no more than $7000 to feed your family of 6 for the entire year. In other words, your family will be well below federal poverty levels for a family of 6, even with the best of circumstances.

It doesn't matter how much homework you do, if you cannot do the basic math. Unless you have a large bankroll to bring with you, or have family to offset your soon-to-be burgeoning costs, you will be destined to join the growing ranks of the Florida working poor, welfare dependent, and/or chronically unemployed.
Wow...do you lived in Brevard County??? I lived there for years recently moved and always had a job over 10.00 ph ...although I do agree they are not common and it depends on exactly where you live and what you do...my niece works at Target and makes over 10.00 ph ...but the cost of living is much cheaper there then here where the pay scale is roughly the same as there in Brevard County....but where my home insurance was 683.00 in Florida...(1268.00 without my homestead rebate) my taxes here in NJ are 7200.00 per year...then add my mortgage payment on top of it.....which is more then my mortgage... insurance.. and taxes in Florida. Grocery are also much higher here ....300 a month for hubby and me....now bout 400 or more. You also save on costs for clothes as you don't need the winter clothes (basically) like you do up north.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHUMPHREY1026 View Post
We do have a SUBSTANTIAL amount of savings and when we get down there I am also going to go back to work as an RN so therefore we will be fine. I have no doubt we will make it.
You will be fine just have all your ducks in a row first...

As far as the schools go....what area are you looking at?? there are good and bad (as like with all places) but I can tell you the quality of the education is not the same.....a 5 school down south (sorry southerners LOL) is bout a 2-3 of Northern schools that I can tell you with out a doubt as I lived in both areas (at least from the areas I am from up north) all the kids though florida learning was a vacation cause the classes and such were so easy...much harder up here they actually have to study and work to get there a's and b's

Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 PM

6 posts, read 15,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggsbasement View Post
You will be fine just have all your ducks in a row first...

As far as the schools go....what area are you looking at?? there are good and bad (as like with all places) but I can tell you the quality of the education is not the same.....a 5 school down south (sorry southerners LOL) is bout a 2-3 of Northern schools that I can tell you with out a doubt as I lived in both areas (at least from the areas I am from up north) all the kids though florida learning was a vacation cause the classes and such were so easy...much harder up here they actually have to study and work to get there a's and b's
We were thinking about Viera or Melbourne, but like I said Im really not quite sure where to avoid and that. The school system my kids are in now is rated a 2 out of 10, which is HORRIBLE!!!! They are taking out sports and shutting down MORE schools. Our kids are just starting school so we need to go where schools are better. And like I said the utility's there are cheaper than here( they are KILLING us at around $350/month just for electric and gas!) and the housing I've seen is cheaper.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
We were thinking about Viera or Melbourne, but like I said Im really not quite sure where to avoid and that. The school system my kids are in now is rated a 2 out of 10, which is HORRIBLE!!!! They are taking out sports and shutting down MORE schools. Our kids are just starting school so we need to go where schools are better. And like I said the utility's there are cheaper than here( they are KILLING us at around $350/month just for electric and gas!) and the housing I've seen is cheaper.
Melbourne has some good schools but not sure which I have a friend that lives there and her kids do GREAT and she lives off Murrel Rd in Melbourne not Viera so what ever school that is I can check and repost later......I know PT St John area has a couple schools that are pretty good and I know Apollo in Titusville is good Viera is a very new...yuppie kinda place LOL is beat way to describe it but it is very nice, lots to do ....up coming area but it is also much more expensive then a few other places I named. I would live there though ....I lived in Titusville but when we moved and now are considering come back we are looking in Pt St john or Viera area ourselves. Be prepared Electric here will run you around 225-325 per month depending on size of home ...the heat when you use it won't be as bad and you won't use it that often but air you will need a good 6-7 months easily...and the may-sept bills are killer. mainly june july aug and sept ....

Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Default There are ups and downs everywhere; Brevard is no different

Quote:
We've lived in Brevard (Satellite Beach) for the last 30-years --- and specifically moved to the beachside because of the high quality schools. Ironically, a major part of 'good schools' is often the socio-economic demographics of the area (such as Vierra, Satellite Beach, etc). The lower income 'Title 1 school areas' (my wife was Principal at one) typically have lower quality schools for a reason! Generally speaking, education is often not stressed as much at home, plus, parents must often work nights/weekends ... when other parents are not working and available to guide their kids socially and educationally. (The best teachers, likewise, tend to gravitate to the 'best schools.')

The job market here is difficult and somewhat unstable - particularly in the construction arena! As an RN, however, you are in high demand here and should have no problem! Unemployment statistics are often a half-full/empty glass' -- Even at 12%+, 88% are employed ... Further, your husband only needs ONE job, not 12% of the available jobs.

The Brevard County area is great -- but, it is a geographically long county; stretching all the way from Mims/Port St. John ... south to almost Very Beach. The northern most areas may seem to offer the lowest housing prices, but there is a reason for that! --

The sunshine here is great! -- outside activities are comfortable for 10-12 months out of the year -- Also, no heating bills here! However, A/C is a must and will push utility bills 30-40% higher for at least 3-4 months out of the year. But, as you know, cold weather (Illinois) is also more costly on other fronts: clothing, transportation, entertainment, etc.. Also, Florida has NO state income tax!

From your other posts, it looks like you have thought things out ... A few good thoughts are: Find jobs first; Thoroughly study the housing/school markets; Consider renting for the first year or perhaps a lease-option; Stay financially liquid and safe -- keep moving expenses and other initial transition expenses from eating-up your savings.

Paradise is waiting!! --Come on down!

Old 04-29-2011, 11:51 PM

14 posts, read 34,780 times
Hi there BHUMPHREY026,
I have to say, it's good you're getting opinions from all kinds of people, however I feel nobody knows your situation better than you do. I do suggest working on the employment prior to relocation, however I would not let some of these negative comments interfere with your interest. Brevard County has many positives. It's a great area to raise a family, with good schools, nature activities (surfing, boating, hiking), excellent parks n rec programs, and safety. I highly suggest doing all the research you can prior to your move. If you decide to visit the area, I would take a look at the websites below for more info:
viera.com
discoverbrevard.com
cfnews13.com

I am a licensed Realtor, so if you need any assistance with housing, I'm happy to help you.
kpenn@viera.com

Old 04-30-2011, 09:18 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
=prices, but there is a reason for that! --

Paradise is waiting!! --Come on down!
Florida certainly is not paradise for 11% of those unemployed, and this does not include those who have ceased trying to find employment, those who are working in jobs paying considerably less than a livable wage, or those who can find only part-time work. Florida's paradise does not include the significant number of those citizens whose homes are in foreclosure, or cannot afford even a modest medical bill in a statewide work environment virtually devoid of health benefits.

The OP needs to be very cautious of those who have nothing to lose, and everything to gain, by selling "paradise". Florida has the perk(s) of a statewide tax structure that greatly benefits the wealthy and retired, plus the warmer winter climate, but this does not translate to a "paradise" to a family with 4 children.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggsbasement View Post
Wow...do you lived in Brevard County??? I lived there for years recently moved and always had a job over 10.00 ph ...although I do agree they are not common and it depends on exactly where you live and what you do...my niece works at Target and makes over 10.00 ph ...but the cost of living is much cheaper there then here where the pay scale is roughly the same as there in Brevard County....but where my home insurance was 683.00 in Florida...(1268.00 without my homestead rebate) my taxes here in NJ are 7200.00 per year...then add my mortgage payment on top of it.....which is more then my mortgage... insurance.. and taxes in Florida. Grocery are also much higher here ....300 a month for hubby and me....now bout 400 or more. You also save on costs for clothes as you don't need the winter clothes (basically) like you do up north.
And you have a family of six to support with your $10 per hour job?

Old 05-04-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
And you have a family of six to support with your $10 per hour job?
I said I made over 10 ph and I do have a family to support and did so confortably for a year before we moved (since my husband got laid off) so believe me when I tell you that I know about the unemployment....the medical bill and other items you mentioned cause Once we moved for the jobs...back to NJ... from that area....ironicly enough we both got laid off here in NJ and have no medical insurance......and while we did make our bills in Florida...here with that income you can't even touch them. Rent on apts is 1200 a month for one bedroom!!(and thats if your lucky enough to find one that cheap) a house is bout 1800-2600 depending...and we have state tax as well as federal.....health insurance bout 1800 a month if you are lucky enough to to get it ....grocery and insurance way higher here. Car insurance runs extremely high.....
My point being that it is tough all over not just Brevard...but that family has just a good chance there as anywhere else and if they find what they are looking for I say good for them!! At least they can do it in warmer weather and at very least drop the clothing bills down if nothing else!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County