Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:00 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TessieB View Post
Thanks for the reply. How far in (or out) are you? In the more densely populated part or out where the properties are spaced farther apart & many lots aren't built on? Are the roads out there dirt?

Also, by "whatever you want", what kinds of activities do you mean?

Sorry for all the questions! We're planning a trip down there at some point to check some areas out, but we're trying to get an idea of where we'd like to explore since we won't have that much time.

thanks again!

Oh - you know, um, ANYTHING YOU WANT!! You know, um, just --uh, WHATEVER YOU LIKE! So, uh, you know, don't ask so many questions! Ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman_Cometh View Post
These people arent telling you what you need to know.

The Compound basically has 0 houses, just streets laid out. The few houses that are "in" the Compound arent really in the compound but right on the fringe.

The compound, back in the 80s went bankrupt and has been untouched ever since. There are roads, but thats it, the entire area is over grown. It really is just a place for rednecks to drive dirtbikes and teens to have parties. At one time, I would go out there everyday for almost a year and never once saw any police patroling. Its a very strange area, in the 80s after it went bankrupt, many drug smugglers landed their planes out there either to refuel or drop off supplies.

One time when a friend and I were out there we saw a lot of unmarked white vans with huge antennas. 15 minutes later we came across a huge RV with "Northrup Grummand" on one side of the RV and "US Government" on the other. We backtracked real quick and about a mile in to the compound we came across these:

They dont look that big, but Im 6'2" and they were easily a foot taller than me.
Every time I go to the wikipedia site and try to say something about these things, and that there may be some type of government testing going on out there, my entry is quickly deleted.

This sounds like some total X-Files stuff!!!!!

I love how in the Wikipedia page describing The Compound they show pictures of those radio antennas on the desolate streets but THEY NEVER EVEN MAKE THE FEEBLEST ATTEMPT AT EXPLAINING WHY THEY'RE THERE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 01:19 PM

21 posts, read 99,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warm11 View Post
Have you looked at the area yet on google map?
Yes I have--and read the Wikipedia entry--but wanted feedback from anyone that actually knew the area.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:22 PM

X-Files--that was my thought too!

Old 04-11-2011, 01:23 PM

okaaaaayy...

Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Oh - you know, um, ANYTHING YOU WANT!! You know, um, just --uh, WHATEVER YOU LIKE! So, uh, you know, don't ask so many questions! Ok?

This sounds like some total X-Files stuff!!!!!

I love how in the Wikipedia page describing The Compound they show pictures of those radio antennas on the desolate streets but THEY NEVER EVEN MAKE THE FEEBLEST ATTEMPT AT EXPLAINING WHY THEY'RE THERE!!!!
Sorry to dig up a year old thread but I can explain exactly why they're there. Harris, Grumman, and other local defense companies often use the Compound to do things like radio tests. It's big, flat, and unpopulated which makes it perfect to do things like test the receive sensitivity of new radios, antennas, and such. It's nothing nefarious at all. And for what it's worth, I'm the one who removed the conspiracy nonsense from the Wikipedia entry and I left a nice explanation on the talk page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:The_Compound

Old 04-25-2012, 02:23 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,912 times
I'd go just a little further south to the Grant - Valkaria area.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
A.)Sorry to dig up a year old thread but I can explain exactly why they're there. Harris, Grumman, and other local defense companies often use the Compound to do things like radio tests. It's big, flat, and unpopulated which makes it perfect to do things like test the receive sensitivity of new radios, antennas, and such. B.) It's nothing nefarious at all. And for what it's worth, I'm the one who removed the conspiracy nonsense from the Wikipedia entry and I left a nice explanation on the talk page.

Talk:The Compound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A.) Don't be sorry! I'm GLAD you revived this thread! It was one of the coolest threads on the forum!

B.) You're one of THEM!!! XD XD XD LOL!!!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:23 AM

Damn--I was so hoping for something out of X-Files or Fringe! :-)

But thanks for the updates. We're still thinking of moving to FL, but more like a winter home--when we come into our millions, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
View detailed profiles of: