U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:59 PM

85 posts, read 92,675 times

Advertisements

I hope your husband has a speedy recovery.
Best wishes,
Shawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 08:37 AM

2,094 posts, read 2,713,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck-in-mn View Post
I hope your husband has a speedy recovery.
Best wishes,
Shawn
He is doing pretty good, but he is not a good patient! There is something to be said for staying in the hospital for a day or 2 after surgery. LOL I prefer the old ways.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:46 AM

I'm glad to hear he is doing well. Tell him to be a good patient or he will have to stay longer and get an enima

Old 11-08-2011, 11:25 PM

587 posts, read 457,373 times
I wouldn't bother with enemas!

They're useless!

Why do they have to wrap them up like that?

My doctor prescribed an enema, but the one he gave me was wrapped in silver paper and it was a bugger to get off!

Took me 10 minutes to unwrap it.

When I took it, it tasted awful and for all the good it did, I may as well have shoved it up my bum!

Hope your OH is doing well, Rabflmom, but I can certainly understand his reluctance to be a patient.

Hospitals cater for 'In-Patients', they cater for 'Out-Patients' but nobody ever seems to consider the 'Im-Patients' - People who want to get the hell out of there because they've got far better things to do than lay around in bed all day.

As I mentioned elsewhere in an earlier post, my wife went to the Viera hospital ER having had a fall in the shower. She was in considerable pain, but the X-ray indicated no spinal damage.

"Oh, I can go home now then?"

"Not quite. We have to do blood tests."

"Why?"

No answer.

"Well, can I go home now?"

"No"

"Why not?"

"Because you haven't seen the doctor."

FIVE HOURS in the ER. No spinal damage (took 2 hours to prove that) but then another 3 hours to escape!

Not really acceptable, IMO.

The care given in that hospital was excellent, but the waiting time was unacceptable and neither my wife nor I will use that particular hospital again.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:24 AM

That is funny. Sorry you guys had to wait so long to get out of there. If that hospital is like any place I have worked, it is the lack of MD's. The RN has to wait for the MD's to give us the green light to send you home. I'm putting my house on the market I hope it sales soon, then we are going to move down. Thank you for all the info

Old 11-10-2011, 08:08 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,557,024 times
I can only go on the perspective of being a patient. I had both my kids at Holmes (this was 12 and 18 years ago). The care I recieved from the staff was excellent. They were attentive and kind. With my first kid I had a private room and I didn't want to leave. With my second kid I had to bunk with another person and I was anxious to leave, but I did have to wait for my doctor before they let me leave. I was packed and dressed and just waiting for her approval.
You do need to check your bills. They billed me twice for a couple item and for a few things I never recieved, but they fixed these problems without fuss.
Melbourne is a decent place to live, but it is far from old Florida. I was here before the mall was built and when the beaches weren't full of condos. We went to Three Forks at the end of Malabar Rd this weekend (it's the first time we have been there in 7 years, because we moved out of state) and I couldn't believe all the new housing developments. The over development is saddening, but it beats the MN cold.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the reply, I was there in the late 70'and 80's to visit family, so I know what youmean about it growing. I still like it and compared to south Fl it is laid back. My wife is from a town of 400 and grew up on a farm here in MN. I think that Melbourne is laid back enough so she wont freak out too much. I myself have lived in Port Charlotte and loved it. MN winters get old fast. Cant wait to move down.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:39 PM

332 posts, read 596,669 times
Just a word of warning about HealthFirst hospitals (Holmes, PB, Viera) - they're the only hospitals that I've ever been to or even heard of that don't include suture removal in the original payment. It cost me another $75 ER copay to get my stitches out. I should have taken the damn things out myself... And of course I don't find this out until I'm trying to leave.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:53 AM

Wow that is lame. Maybe if you went to your primary doctor it would have been free or lower copay.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:52 PM

489 posts, read 326,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck-in-mn View Post
Wow that is lame. Maybe if you went to your primary doctor it would have been free or lower copay.
No sense in being nasty here!!

No one is perfect, including you stuck-in-mn....

Health First is OK! I have just spent the last two weeks in Holmes Regional having two surgeries on my RT foot, and I am glad to finally be out of there. In general, I have no complaints with the Health First nurses or the CNA's, but there doctors are OK, and need some serious bedside manners. Sometimes I wonder if their nurses have more medical knowledge than their doctors. My own DPM doctor (did the surgery on my RT foot) was the best and was not too fond of Holmes either.

I love how Holmes shuffles you out of there as quick as possible like a herd of cattle instead of providing the best care as feasible. My own doctor wanted me to be in there at least a couple more days to monitor my foots condition after surgery. I mean for Christ sake, part of my RT foot was amputated due to having a very acute & chronic bone infection (osteomyelitis).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County