U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2019, 11:42 AM

65 posts, read 22,112 times

Advertisements

Silkfl or anyone else familiar with Heritage Isle...

Great news! They are currently below the 20% threshold and do consider sub 55 owners.

I am still hoping for feedback on 2) and 3) the next time you are on CD.

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 11:57 AM

I made it down to Viera to check out Heritage Isle. Unfortunately, it won't work for me. Hopefully, what I found will help someone else researching it.

I pulled up to the security gate and my first impression was the resident entering on his super loud and obnoxious Harley.

Driving through the grounds, the grass in the common areas was quite high, much higher than on the resident lots.

As noted earlier, the centerpiece of the development, the massive clubhouse, is cordoned off into a construction zone.

On the street where the first house I was to view was located, one of the neighbors had set up his woodworking shop up out in his driveway and had his garage door open. Two other neighbors on that same street had their garage doors open the entire time I was there. One was outside pressure washing his house but not using the garage. The other was nowhere to be seen. I saw various lawn ornaments and realtor signs on the street as well.

At this point, I decided not to view any other homes in Heritage Isle.

It is surprising that home prices in Heritage Isle haven't fallen given the years-long removal of its centerpiece amenity and the possibility of a large special assessment to help with its repair.

On the positive side, during my brief visit I neither saw nor heard any dogs and the guarded and gated entrance were just what I was looking for.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:46 PM

788 posts, read 781,183 times
Nothing to do with Heritage specifically, but I believe it is fairly common in good neighborhoods, if home, to leave the garage door open in Florida. It gets quite hot in there when closed and this keeps it aired out and cooler.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:03 AM

The associations I have found with the most restrictions don't allow garage doors to be open unless one is going into or out of them. Allowing open garage doors is similar to having to view a neighbors yard strewn with junk.

Heritage Isle restrictions (section 13.14) actually don't allow garage doors to remain open. But apparently that restriction is not enforced. Similar to the guy being allowed to set up his workshop in his driveway.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:04 AM

32 posts, read 76,724 times
Smile Heritage Isle/Grand Isle pros and cons

Just to clarify the 55+ restriction, you can purchase a home in an age restricted community in Florida if under 55 as long as there are no children under 18 residing there with you.

As to the garage door issue, you are permitted to have your garage door open if you are doing any outside work, gardening, washing car, etc. You are allowed to have your garage door open if it has a roll down screen. Most people don't leave their garage doors open unattended as snakes could and do get in. The person doing the woodworking in the driveway could have been a vendor installing crown molding or wood floors, which is common.

The grass may have been taller in the common area because that wasn't their scheduled mowing day. The landscapers here always do a great job, and there are many reasons why some days they can't mow because of rain making the grounds so wet it would cause ruts, or maintenance on irrigation system.

The Clubhouse has been cordoned off because it is a construction zone at this point. When the work is finished, the clubhouse will be like new. The costs are covered by insurance so far and any talk of an assessment has been rumor at this point. Homes are still selling and generally prices have gone up. The Club activities are still going on in different venues. All of the outdoor sports venues are still active, as are luncheons and potlucks.

As far as I know, there is no law prohibiting motorcycles from any community. Making excessive noise of any kind is a violation, but have not had a problem with noise from motorcycles. In fact, this is the quietest community we have ever lived in, it's a running joke that people must go to bed by 8pm, that's how quiet it is! Also, dogs are not to be left unattended and barking on patios, The HOA will issue a violation that will be enforced.

Hope that answers any questions for you and anyone researching Heritage Isle. No community is perfect, but hope you find one with low grass, no motorcycles, open garage doors or barking dogs.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:38 AM

I appreciate your knowledge. It is why it is so important to talk to someone actually on the ground.

I have come across some hoa restrictions which allow screens on garages. Unless that was an amendment to the Heritage Isle restrictions it isn't 'allowed' there. However, due to your firsthand knowledge it clearly is at least informally allowed. Often, what is written in restrictions and what is actually occurring in neighborhoods may not match.

By the way, some hoas do ban motorcycles and it was not a contractor.

Do you happen to know of any more restrictive associations?

Old 03-16-2019, 03:01 PM

32 posts, read 76,724 times
Default Heritage Isle/Grand Isle pros and cons

Our HOA Architectural Control Committee amended the standards 12/19/2016 re: screens, storm doors, and garage screens (13.12) "only roll-up or retractable style garage screens are allowed on garage openings", so it is formally allowed.

Also, you are allowed to work on/around your house or in the driveway, however if any noise/activity becomes a nuisance to others, it can be reported and violation letter will be issued.

Not aware of any more restrictive associations in this area. There are a couple of other 55+ communities in Viera, and it's possible they may have more restrictions.

We have lived in other gated communities in Florida that had a lot of restrictions. The Association would send a group out to do a "walk around"with a camera and take note of every little thing, counting how many flower pots in the yard, plants not approved by the board, basketball hoops in driveways, tv antennas in the wrong spot, landscaping removed without approval, small cracks in house stucco, etc. They looked for anything and even if you followed the rules, they would always try to find something, to the point of being annoying. This wasn't in a 55+ community, still enjoyed living there, but sometimes the Board members were a little too enthusiastic about issuing violations.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:43 PM

That other association sounds just about what I am looking for except in a 55+ version.

Thanks again!

Old 03-18-2019, 09:23 AM

252 posts, read 138,239 times
mountaintosea...you sound like an absolute joy to live next to. Perhaps the mountains would still suit you better. With no neighbors.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:47 AM

A joy like you, who comes on here just to attack a stranger. Yep, neighbors of your kind are exactly what I am trying to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County