U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 PM

3,554 posts, read 6,183,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca96 View Post
We went down there last week to visit and pick a town -- we fell in love with the area - so beautiful! Can anyone shed light on Melbourne Beach? It seems to have everything: great schools, homes on or near the water, reasonable prices for the homes, etc. Are there any glaring negatives to be aware of? We are choosing between Melbourne Beach and Viera...thanks so much for any input!

Becca, just a clarification.....are you talking the real town of Melbourne Beach or the area of Melbourne across the Eau Gallie causeway that is Melbourne beach side( the hotels in their ads often say say they are located in Melbourne Beach but really aren't). The town of Melbourne Beach is a one traffic light, little town South of Indiatlantic and does not have access to the mainland without driving North or South to a causeway. The town of Melbourne Beach does not have a high school or junior high just an elem. school.

It definitely is not a cooky box community like Viera.The houses are mostly custom built townhuses or condos. . It has one little strip shopping center with a small grocery store( another Publix shopping center strip mall south of town on A1A) , a library, a bank, a few restaurants, but it is a drive to any other kinds of stores, businesses, even doctors etc..

You can walk or ride a bicycle to get anywhere in town almost. If we could afford it, I would definitely choose M.B. over Viera to get the Florida atmosphere instead of living in a town that is more like any town in any state like Viera is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 11:25 AM

9 posts, read 22,560 times
I'm new here, and my family and I are also looking at a possible move to Florida in the next 6 months. Would appreciate any help from those who know the Brevard and surrounding counties area. My parents have been living in Vero Beach area for about 15 years now, and so we've visited Vero often. Haven't been particularly drawn to that area, since it seems perhaps more appropriate for seniors.

We're late 40s and have kids in elementary, jr high and high school. Certainly schools are probably of utmost importance. I haven't seen many posts on comparing schools in the Brevard county area. Especially interested in high schools and their quality. I noticed someone in this thread said that the high school for the Viera area is getting overcrowded. Could someone else comment on that and whether we should stay away from the Viera area because of it?

We've got a budget of around $500k for a 5-br house (4 kids still at home) and are just wanting a nice place with a pool in an area with excellent schools. My wife is a labor and delivery nurse, so being somewhat close to a hospital wouldn't hurt, but she works only a couple days a week, so drive time isn't a huge deal, and she works odd hours so she doesn't have to worry about rush hour. And I work from home with my business, so commute isn't an issue.

Any recommendations of towns, neighborhoods, etc? Especially with regard to being zoned for better schools?

Thanks for ALL help.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 PM

21,132 posts, read 30,232,986 times
The better schools outside of Viera are closer to the beaches, as are the hospitals. If you're not one who's looking for brand new, cookie-cutter new construction and can "make do" with very nice, well established neighborhoods you'll find some nice homes east of the Intracoastal in excellent school districts within your price range. I noticed a couple of nice 5 bedroom/3 bath homes in gated waterfront communities in Satellite Beach for around 400K, which would be a good choice for you in terms of location. All in all Satellite Beach HS (A-rated) is tops in the area in my opinion as it's able to maintain a high level of academic achievement without the benefit of an IB Program ( like Cocoa Beach HS) which tends to inflate overall test scores. It's also far less crowded than some of the other schools (only 1150 students in all four grades) as this area was built out years ago and isn't going through the growing pains of the west side of the county.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 AM

3,554 posts, read 6,183,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The better schools outside of Viera are closer to the beaches, as are the hospitals. If you're not one who's looking for brand new, cookie-cutter new construction and can "make do" with very nice, well established neighborhoods you'll find some nice homes east of the Intracoastal in excellent school districts within your price range. I noticed a couple of nice 5 bedroom/3 bath homes in gated waterfront communities in Satellite Beach for around 400K, which would be a good choice for you in terms of location. All in all Satellite Beach HS (A-rated) is tops in the area in my opinion as it's able to maintain a high level of academic achievement without the benefit of an IB Program ( like Cocoa Beach HS) which tends to inflate overall test scores. It's also far less crowded than some of the other schools (only 1150 students in all four grades) as this area was built out years ago and isn't going through the growing pains of the west side of the county.

Amazingly with the new grades out Satellite High school was one of the few schools in Brevard County that got a B grade this year. Almost all the rest of the high schools got A's.

press release (http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/This_Week/releases/pdf/01-04-2012_HS-ScoresReleased.html - broken link)

You really can't go wrong with most of the schools in Brevard County. The whole county is the district so they work to the same goal in every school. The ones that have parent volunteers and active PTOs tend to be higher ranked because of follow up at home when it comes to schooling.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:12 PM

9 posts, read 22,560 times
Thanks everyone. That press release with new ratings is very helpful.

Cheers.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 AM

512 posts, read 621,134 times
I do not believe those ratings, while possibly helpful there are reasons to be doubtful. The sizes of schools here were our greatest concern. We moved from PA. Where our kids were was the biggest high school in about ten area counties. They had 800 students in that high school. Here 800 kids is the plus and minus of enrollment each year. The schools here, especially the high schools, are nothing less than gigantic. While gigantic does afford great sports teams and big budgets to spend we just had tons of concern about the sizes and kids being just a number. Or worse, high schools where there are so many students they can't keep track of some kids that would be probelms and so on. It is hard for me to say, we just never saw anything like the model here. The many schools in that list may deserve the almost 100% A grades with a couple exceptions, but that does not mean all concerns are gone like A implies to me.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 AM

21,132 posts, read 30,232,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Amazingly with the new grades out Satellite High school was one of the few schools in Brevard County that got a B grade this year. Almost all the rest of the high schools got A's.

press release (http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/This_Week/releases/pdf/01-04-2012_HS-ScoresReleased.html - broken link)

You really can't go wrong with most of the schools in Brevard County. The whole county is the district so they work to the same goal in every school. The ones that have parent volunteers and active PTOs tend to be higher ranked because of follow up at home when it comes to schooling.
Yeah, well missing from the explanation of new grading criteria is the fact that schools are all held to varying standards based upon previous performance. Satellite Beach HS didn't get "dumber" over the course of one year, they just were held to a higher goal than previously which they didn't achieve. The new system isn't fair in the transition period as it penalizes high performing schools. The same thing happened in Seminole County where I live now, knocking perennial "A" school Lake Mary HS down to a "B" for the same reason. Parents really need to investigate and perform due diligence as a result because former "B" schools are going to enjoy an unearned "bump up" as a result.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 7,815 times
Hi bookdude,
I'm researching the area and noticed you have the exact requirements we need for a possible future move! Do you mind sharing where you decided to live? How do you like the schools?
Thank you!

Old 02-18-2017, 06:26 AM

179 posts, read 131,222 times
Beachside has the best schools overall. Check of Freedom 7 (my sons went there), Melbourne School for Science & Odyssey Charter. All except Odyssey require you to enter a lottery to gain admission & the deadline for that is January 9th. Odyssey is first come first serve. I considered Gemini in Melbourne Beach when we were moving here too. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County