U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,920 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will graduate from college this May and am looking to relocate to Florida. I currently reside in Iowa and need to get out of the cold. I am also looking to live in a place with more to do for someone my age.

I have visited Brevard county many times, and I have enjoyed my time there. My biggest concern with Brevard county is the seemingly large number of retired individuals. I understand it's Florida and that's going to be pretty much everywhere, but I just want to be sure there are opportunities for someone my age to meet people and have a good time.

I would love to hear any opinions anyone has on Brevard county.. Also, if you think there are other areas of Florida that I would enjoy more, please let me know... I really don't like Jacksonville or Miami, but am open to hearing about other areas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 PM

330 posts, read 590,160 times
What field are you looking to work in?

We don't have that many retirees here compared to the rest of Florida. At least around Melbourne, it seems like the biggest demographic is middle ages families with kids.

What are your interests and hobbies? What are you looking for in an area? I moved here right after college and love it. I know a few folks who did the same and don't like it here.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 PM

4,888 posts, read 4,411,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerguy0322 View Post
Hello all,

I will graduate from college this May and am looking to relocate to Florida. I currently reside in Iowa and need to get out of the cold. I am also looking to live in a place with more to do for someone my age.

I have visited Brevard county many times, and I have enjoyed my time there. My biggest concern with Brevard county is the seemingly large number of retired individuals. I understand it's Florida and that's going to be pretty much everywhere, but I just want to be sure there are opportunities for someone my age to meet people and have a good time.

I would love to hear any opinions anyone has on Brevard county.. Also, if you think there are other areas of Florida that I would enjoy more, please let me know... I really don't like Jacksonville or Miami, but am open to hearing about other areas.

Thanks!
What about Orlando... Only an hour away or so

Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 PM

114 posts, read 114,779 times
A person in my age group from Iowa that thinks it's too boring and cold. Sad.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,920 times
I'm majoring in Marketing and Entrepreneurship. I'm currently working in the financial industry, but I hope to one day earn my living in Real Estate (I know all about the Florida market.. but one day it will rebound! haha).

I really enjoy the water, so living at least somewhere near it is important. I considered Orlando, but I've been told unless you have a lot of money, it's difficult finding a nice, safe area. Though, I could be wrong and honestly have not done enough research to know myself.

As far as the area goes, I'm a "typical" 22 year old. I like going out to the bars and socializing. I definitely don't need the crazy Miami scene though. I would just like options. Are there a lot of young professionals on the Space Coast?

Thanks for the replies!

Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 PM

4,888 posts, read 4,411,376 times
Quote:
I'm majoring in Marketing and Entrepreneurship. I'm currently working in the financial industry, but I hope to one day earn my living in Real Estate (I know all about the Florida market.. but one day it will rebound! haha).

I really enjoy the water, so living at least somewhere near it is important. I considered Orlando, but I've been told unless you have a lot of money, it's difficult finding a nice, safe area. Though, I could be wrong and honestly have not done enough research to know myself.

As far as the area goes, I'm a "typical" 22 year old. I like going out to the bars and socializing. I definitely don't need the crazy Miami scene though. I would just like options. Are there a lot of young professionals on the Space Coast?

Thanks for the replies!
Orlando has a better scene for young profs. Only 50 mins to cocoa beach in brevard

Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 AM

330 posts, read 590,160 times
Quote:

Thanks for the replies!
There are a decent number of young professionals in town, mostly engineers. A number of the tech and defense companies recruit college grads heavily. As a result, there's more men than women in that crowd. We all joke that we had to import our women from elsewhere

The nightlife here is significantly better than it was 5 years ago. Downtown Melbourne went from one bar to 10+. There's college-type bars, sports bars, tiki bars, martini bars, craft beer bars, wine bars, and pubs. The nightlife here is all about bars though; we don't really have any clubs worth mentioning.

I like Melbourne better than Orlando personally, but Orlando is definitely more exciting for some folks than Melbourne. I'd rather live by the beach in a slower-paced town and drive to Orlando than live in faster-paced Orlando and drive to the beach, but that's just me. There are plenty of affordable places to live in Orlando that are nice. It's very affordable compared to places like Miami.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 PM

56 posts, read 104,684 times
I had planned on moving to Melbourne this summer, but now researching Hollywood, and so far, it sounds good. Check out Hollywood, good for a young person i think.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:55 PM

8 posts, read 6,665 times
You will probably find Brevard County a bit boring, but if being close to water for kayaking, jet skiing, surfing, fishing, boating is your thing, then this is a great place. Nightlife, stay away from Titusville. Melbourne or Cocoa Beach would be better. Close enough to Orlando to go out there and avoid the daily hassles of traffick.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:17 AM

83 posts, read 90,730 times
Are you set on Brevard? I'd think Tampa would be a much better choice for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County