Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 06:39 PM

11 posts, read 18,656 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Satellite Beach and I'm considering a move back with my family. What can I expect as far as families with elementary age children in SB, IHB, Indialantic, and Melbourne Beach? I am looking for a community of other families with kids the same age and enjoy a more laid back lifestyle. I know I grew up with a lot of kids, but I don't know how the demographics for the area are currently.

I couldn't wait to get out of that area when I graduated from Satellite High and I think I'm kinda crazy for wanting to go back, but its a lifestyle choice! I loved growing up at the beach but after high school I was ready to conquer the world so I went to the "big city" and didn't look back. Now, that I've been in the hustle of the city, I'm looking for a beautiful area to settle down and enjoy my family and watch the kids grow and flourish. I've been gone for over 15 years. We live in a very high cost of living area now in a suburb of DC and do very well for ourselves. However, the pace and lifestyle are wearing me out. And I find myself longing for the beach, the sun and the water. The schools are pretty impressive on the beaches too now. I like the idea of a smaller school with an academic focus for the kids. The high school we're zoned for where we are currently is almost 4000 students. And although my kids are in elementary school now... we want to find the house to settle into for 15+ years, so we have to look ahead.

Am I crazy for thinking of going back to SB? Are there other families like ours still in the area or is it going to more of a wealthy retiree/ snow bird/ tourist area? I wouldn't consider anywhere but the beach if we moved down there and really only from Satellite High to anywhere south of there. What do you think... are there still young families and neighborhoods where the kids can grow up together?

And for real estate... is waterfront/ canal front better investments? We love the water, but aren't big boaters... although we could always learn I guess?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 07:12 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
There are still families in Satellite Beach, but have to tell you the county was considering closing one of the elementary schools there this year. Like you, the kids that lived near the elem schools that were built to accommodate them there have grown up and moved away, leaving lots of homes with just the middle aged parents living there.

It is still a great place to live and raise a family by the beach though.
The job situation would be the thing I would be more concerned about.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 AM

Thanks! Thats what I thought. Our jobs come with us thankfully so that isn't a problem. We are both able to work from home for the same companies we are currently. However, I am concerned about the idea of families in the neighborhoods, so I'm going down to check it out myself to get a feel for the area again and talk to the schools, house hunt, etc. Honestly, I think we might do better in a smaller neighborhood of families, but I would at least want the kids to have one or two neighborhood friends in addition to their school friends, etc.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:49 PM

732 posts, read 968,774 times
Hi, I lived in DC suburbs till I was 37. When I was a teen my parents kept moving father out, and the commute got longer. I ended up staying close to DC till I had children and saw what things cost at that point. While the schools in DC suburbs are super the real estate costs where so unbelievable and everything else you can think of. That area got taken over by beltway bandits, defense company lobbiest types and so many others who pay huge saleries to try and get government deals all day long. While I have many fond memories I would never move back unless there was something really motivating.

I can not think of a reason to stay DC suburbs, even though I grew up there. So if you have transporable jobs - geez go. Get out now. DC only place in country without a real estate bubble pop yet, and it may start. Even if realestate in that area starts to pop everything else is double or triple priced there, and as one can see bubble pops take years to happen. It is not happening today but if the government ever actually trys to cut back that area will suffer. That may not be tomorrow.

True cost of living isn't everything. But Brevard is basically good, I do not think you would have any problems. You won't miss the traffic up there either.

SB seems mixed when I drive through it. I would never live beachside again since I was burned in hurricanes, but I'd pick melbourne beach first, then maybe farther up, or upper SB as a start going north except cocoa beach itself. Nothing beachside on east cost is as nice as most of the gulf side actual beaches such as sand etc but then gulf coast has other issues perhaps and it is a matter of what you may like.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:37 PM

Thanks so much for the input! I booked my flight for next month to do a search mission and interview schools and house hunt. I do agree that Melbourne Beach seems more appealing to me. My only concern with Melbourne Beach is the isolation further south, but I guess we could focus closer to the causeway.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,834 times
HSLGRED,

So what did you determine? I too have been looking to return to FL and have been considering the Satellite Beach area. Turtle Island looks promising. I'm in a situation very similar to yours and would love to know where you've landed with this.

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 AM

7 posts, read 15,806 times
Default Vote for Melbourne Beach!

Hi -- You have probably already made a decision and moved - but I thought I would throw my vote out there for Melbourne Beach. My husband and I can live anywhere in the country and we chose Melbourne Beach. We moved here about 3 months ago with our 3 young children (9,7,4) and love it! It is VERY family friendly and full of young families. Gemini Elementary School is fantastic -- very highly rated. If you are coming from the DC area - it is also extremely affordable. We lived in Vienna, VA for a number of years (as well as Chicago and Northern NJ). We researched it heavily and in our opinion, this is the only place in the country where it is affordable to live beach side AND have highly rated public schools. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County