U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 05:09 PM

71 posts, read 111,954 times

Advertisements

I know this is an old thread but if anyone could give some feedback on what you decided on and if you’re still there etc. Thanks so much! 😀
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 06:03 PM

784 posts, read 773,417 times
I think a lot has changed in both areas. I never particularly liked the cookie cutter feel of Viera and now over crowded schools, but it definetly is convenient, newer and has many nice features that attracts residents to it.
Merritt Island has been transforming itself ever since the market started improving in 2012/2013. Many of the run down older homes have been brought up to more modern standards. Prices have since doubled and the space industry and economy have improved. Flippers came roaring back and many neighborhoods have transformed into very desirable places to live. Sure the mall is not doing so well, but shopping is prevalent if you look around. You are 10-15 minutes to the beach or to the port or Cocoa a Village, each which have their own vibe. I feel Merritt Island is really the center spot of so much and still relatively affordable. Throw in a 25 minute ride and you get the Viera shopping experience if you want it.
I am also very partial to canal and waterfront living which you can't get in Vierra.
Yes there still are some not so great areas, but also many nice ones that are commanding higher prices to be in. Older yes, good place to live yes. Will you find a car parked on the grass here and there, yes, but not in most neighborhoods. So drive around and check it out for yourself and see what makes sence to you.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:07 PM

38 posts, read 83,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocogrove View Post
I know this is an old thread but if anyone could give some feedback on what you decided on and if you’re still there etc. Thanks so much! 😀
I've been following this thread since it's original post back in 2012 when we were living in South FL. It's all too ironic. We had been wanting to make the move to the Melbourne area for several years, particularly to the Viera area and guess what...we moved here 3 yrs ago already and I couldn't be happier.

Yes our community is somewhat "cookie cutter" and even funnier as I look at some of the older posts...we are in a community in Viera East that has been here for 20 yrs and it is very nicely kept and the home values have increased dramatically even since we've moved here. We have an HOA which can be annoying sometimes but at the same time it also keeps the home values up as well as the clientele decent.

Our home backs up to a preserve and when I sit on my lanai it doesn't even seem like I have neighbors other than the occasional bobcat, otter, raccoon, possum, armadillo, should I go on?? LOL!!! The wildlife is amazing!! I prefer not to back up to water (although we have a bit of a swamp back there) because there are gators in our lakes here and there are many lakes in our area so not sure what the other poster is saying about Viera lacking lakes, etc? This entire area is known for its preserves especially here on the east side. So I guess it's all the matter of opinion and even more, "relative" to where you are now. It may not be oceanside but I honestly don't want to be on the ocean or the river for that matter.

IMHO I would have no desire to live on Merritt Island. Yes some of the areas are very nice but those areas come at a high price tag and when the hurricanes come roaring in I don't think I'd feel safe riding out a storm in my home there, but I guess if you like being on the river/ocean that's just the chance you have to take. It's all the matter of preference. I guess I'm a "cookie cutter" kinda gal.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:40 AM

Lakes in Viera, canal/riverfront all over Merritt Island. You can't have a boat in your back yard and get out to open in water in minutes. That is not possible in Viera.
As for storms, they are not partial to particular areas, no matter where you are. I had more damage with Trees and fences down in Palm Bay (not on the water), then any of my Merritt Island properties with Irma last season. Sure, it is possible the water could eventually rise and cause flooding, but it's never happened in any of my properties (thankfully).
They really are two very different areas and one should see for themselves which checks the boxes that appeals to that individual. You really can't go wrong with either area.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:44 AM

2,298 posts, read 4,164,471 times
when I was house shopping Merritt island was my first focus. I own properties on the gulf side of Florida one of which is a gulf access with dock. I was hoping for the boat in the backyard on the canal experience in Merritt. Unfortunately when I drove around the area it didn't have the feel I was hoping for and the water quality in the canals and rivers were a huge turnoff, the rivers here are nothing I would want to swim in, fish in etc. many were too far from the ocean. then a big driver was some of the merritt island properties I was looking at were only 6 feet above sea level. If you believe in any of the global warming theories you're just asking for problems buying in low lying areas. The parts of Viera / suntree I was looking at were 30 feet above sea level. I decided to keep my boat on the gulf side and take trips over there on long weekends.
If HOA's are a problem for you do not even look at a house in Viera/ suntree. got a letter my first week living here saying the sidewalk in front of my house was dirty and was out of compliance. But neighborhood is kept pristine condition. I would put equal favor on both school systems.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:19 PM

93 posts, read 80,495 times
Merritt Island is an evacuation zone, Viera may or may not be. Irma passed way West of here, can't compare that to one that passes over us or just to the West of us.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:48 PM

Irma still threw gusts of up to 94 mph in Brevard. It did do damage. My Neighor two houses down had their roof severely damaged. It was hit and miss with damage and some roofers are still slow to get out today. Same goes for dock builders, most are months behind nearly a year later. Quite a few were damaged due to higher sea levels. But very few houses, if any, flooded by my area in central Merritt Island. Most of my tenants to my surprise, rode the storm out at the houses, with shutters put up and faired well. These older 1960's homes were built well and solid.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:46 AM

3,554 posts, read 6,180,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
Irma still threw gusts of up to 94 mph in Brevard. It did do damage. My Neighor two houses down had their roof severely damaged. It was hit and miss with damage and some roofers are still slow to get out today. Same goes for dock builders, most are months behind nearly a year later. Quite a few were damaged due to higher sea levels. But very few houses, if any, flooded by my area in central Merritt Island. Most of my tenants to my surprise, rode the storm out at the houses, with shutters put up and faired well. These older 1960's homes were built well and solid.
We finally have the permit on the house for the roof. Now if the rain just cooperates so the roofer can get out and get the job done so it has time to seal in the hot sun before a storm gets here. Still lots of blue tarps on the beach and mainland in South Brevard, but nothing compared to 2004.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:26 AM

133 posts, read 232,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
We finally have the permit on the house for the roof. Now if the rain just cooperates so the roofer can get out and get the job done so it has time to seal in the hot sun before a storm gets here. Still lots of blue tarps on the beach and mainland in South Brevard, but nothing compared to 2004.
Wow, why did it take so long to get a permit?

Old 07-13-2018, 08:40 PM

3,554 posts, read 6,180,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
After a hurricane, lots of people need roof work, it takes time. Ours was not leaking and we wanted to wait for summer sun to seal the shingles. Also we were dealing with some surgeries and recovery and did not want the noise. And just maybe .......they put us off too.....when we said they did not need to deal with our insurance company and did not tell them the amount of insurance before they would give us a quote on the roof . So we have been waiting since May. We knew there were 3 or 4 in front of us but rains have added some delay, too. They must have pulled the permit last week and city taped it on the house Monday so they should start soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County