U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM

306 posts, read 588,912 times

Advertisements

Is that any new car coming from out of state? So if you purchase a car there, you will just have to pay the $40?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 03:23 PM

93 posts, read 170,715 times
It's the selection overall that we are missing in the store. The produce is a big area where we are lacking. The fruits and veggies are prewrapped in celophane so you can't choose the pieces or number of pieces that you would like. I guess the stores aren't worried about being "green." I can't find the yogurt we used to eat. I tried to find a kind of ice cream that looked appealing, but none did. I liked UDF Cherry Cordial. I looked for the Ben and Jerry's equilavent, but they didn't carry it. I can't find Republic of Tea teas. I can't get sesame cashews from Trader Joes. I can't get the pop chip things from the machine at Whole Foods or their sweet potato chips. The stores just don't have the same amount of choices. I finally did find a more typical store - a Publix in Palm Bay near Minton - that resembled a store that I'm used to. I'm used to a Starbucks, a Fifth Third bank inside, and and olive bar. I know...suck it up, Florida has sun. It just surprises me that everyone seems ok with the way things are here. It's not just grocery stores that I've found surprising disappointing. I have high expectations and expect good service and choice when I am paying for something. I know it's not a southern thing b/c I lived in a major city in the south for many years and things weren't like they are here.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:48 AM

334 posts, read 981,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBoy20 View Post
Is that any new car coming from out of state? So if you purchase a car there, you will just have to pay the $40?
It's technically for any new registration. If you buy a new car and get a new tag for it, you pay the tax. If you buy a new car but transfer your existing Florida tag, you avoid the "new wheels" tax. Since people moving from out of state don't have a Florida registration for their cars, they have to pay the tax.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommster View Post
It's the selection overall that we are missing in the store. The produce is a big area where we are lacking. The fruits and veggies are prewrapped in celophane so you can't choose the pieces or number of pieces that you would like. I guess the stores aren't worried about being "green." I can't find the yogurt we used to eat. I tried to find a kind of ice cream that looked appealing, but none did. I liked UDF Cherry Cordial. I looked for the Ben and Jerry's equilavent, but they didn't carry it. I can't find Republic of Tea teas. I can't get sesame cashews from Trader Joes. I can't get the pop chip things from the machine at Whole Foods or their sweet potato chips. The stores just don't have the same amount of choices. I finally did find a more typical store - a Publix in Palm Bay near Minton - that resembled a store that I'm used to. I'm used to a Starbucks, a Fifth Third bank inside, and and olive bar. I know...suck it up, Florida has sun. It just surprises me that everyone seems ok with the way things are here. It's not just grocery stores that I've found surprising disappointing. I have high expectations and expect good service and choice when I am paying for something. I know it's not a southern thing b/c I lived in a major city in the south for many years and things weren't like they are here.
Blue Bell brand ice cream is one of the things that my family from Indiana can't get that they go crazy for down here.

For produce, check out Downtown Produce on Ellis Road in Melbourne. They have very high quality produce, meats, and gourmet food items. And if any place in town is going to have the tea you're looking for, it would be them, otherwise you may just need to order it online.

I've also found that the hispanic produce stores and roadside produce stands usually have good stuff. They're everywhere, but the one we usually go to is the stand on the side of the Citgo gas station on the corner of US1 and Malabar Road. Keep in mind that their selection is seasonal however.

As for a lack of Whole Foods and Trader Joes, we're a small town. That's not a Florida vs. the rest of the world thing, it's a big city vs. small town thing. Whole Foods only has locations in major metro areas. There are a few in Orlando and W. Palm Beach that aren't too hard to get to. To compare, I used to live in Fort Wayne and we had no Trader Joes or Whole Foods either, and it's a much bigger city than Melbourne.

Perhaps you would have been happier moving to a major city?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 AM

93 posts, read 170,715 times
No doubt. I don't think that I am that odd or picky. I like choice and good healthcare.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
No doubt. I don't think that I am that odd or picky. I like choice and good healthcare.
Well definitely check out Downtown Produce. It may not replace everything you miss, but it will hopefully help ease the pain a little bit!

Downtown Produce

A few other places worth checking out would be Petty's (2 locations - Wickham in Suntree and Babcock in Melbourne) and the Green Turtle Market beachside on Eau Gallie. They both also have things you can't find at Publix or Winn-Dixie.

Petty's Meat Market and Catering
Green Turtle Market

Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 PM

85 posts, read 158,095 times
[quote=PaliBoy20;23076052]$1300!?!?

It's that way in VA, too. I paid $90 for 2 years registration.

Why in the world is it so high? Was it dependent on your car value or what? WOW lol.

Guess that compensate it somewhere,

When I left VA you had to pay for your county sticker, your inspection sticker and that add up quick.
Now here in MN I just paid $364 for my wifes 07 Explorer sticker every year until it is 10 years old, so that sounds cheap to me.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:25 AM

3,551 posts, read 6,174,470 times
Quote:
Where are you shopping that everything is prewrapped.? I see some wrapped ;but there is usually more not wrapped that you can pick up and look over etc. Also any store will even let you buy 6 eggs instead of a dozen if you just ask. For produce don't overlook the flea markets and the corner produce stores. sometimes you will find really good stuff for less.

You can also get Ben and Jerrys down here at Publix. You can also tell them if they don't carry the flavor you like and they will order it for you if they can. We love one salad dressing that tastes like the salad dressing they use at Monicals Pizza in the Midwest. They stopped carrying it for a while but when I asked about it, they ordered it and it is back on the shelf. Costs more than the other small jars but well worth it. If you happen to like plain vanilla, don't be afraid to try the Publix low fat vanilla. It is better than the expensive ice creams in my opinion.

BTW different Publix stores may carry a few different meats or items if the people who live near the store tend to ask about items. In some areas it is sort of hamburger status but in some you will find different cuts, more lamb chops, Kosher, ethnic, etc, because the clientele want it.

Don't see it....don't be afraid to ask. Publix will try to get it for you if possible. Sounds like a commercial doesn't it? But I don't work for Publix.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
Blue Bell brand ice cream is one of the things that my family from Indiana can't get that they go crazy for down here.

For produce, check out Downtown Produce on Ellis Road in Melbourne. They have very high quality produce, meats, and gourmet food items. And if any place in town is going to have the tea you're looking for, it would be them, otherwise you may just need to order it online.

I've also found that the hispanic produce stores and roadside produce stands usually have good stuff. They're everywhere, but the one we usually go to is the stand on the side of the Citgo gas station on the corner of US1 and Malabar Road. Keep in mind that their selection is seasonal however.

As for a lack of Whole Foods and Trader Joes, we're a small town. That's not a Florida vs. the rest of the world thing, it's a big city vs. small town thing. Whole Foods only has locations in major metro areas. There are a few in Orlando and W. Palm Beach that aren't too hard to get to. To compare, I used to live in Fort Wayne and we had no Trader Joes or Whole Foods either, and it's a much bigger city than Melbourne.

I think Publix has had Blue Bell Ice Cream for a few years now. Seems like I have seen it here in the Palm Bay stores. If not in the store you are shopping ask about it because according to the BB web site it is here in Orlando area.Albertson's used to have it when it existed and it was too fattening for me....uses corn syrup and I have to avoid that type of stuff as much as possible.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post

If you ever go to Sea World, the ice cream store there is a Blue Bell ice cream store. Had never noticed the huge sign for Blue Bell Ice cream on the store before.... Thought of your comment as I ate my huge waffle cone of strawberry last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County