U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 5,596 times

Advertisements

After living my whole life in Miami, I am planning to move to Merritt Island this summer...better schools, less traffic (accidents & rude drivers), friendlier people, a more nature feel to it...what Miami (that I grew up in) "use to" be . Coming from South Florida, South Merritt is ideal (and Cocoa Beach, but too expensive), because its still allows us to be close to the water .

I have been working with a Realtor, who has been great with showing us homes. But I want to be sure what I am getting myself into when it comes to the details...like Taxes, Insurance, Utilities, and just cost of living in general. I did get a quote for car insurance, and realized there is a difference of 35-64% difference in cost depending on coverage. I was astounded that I may paying so much more in the same state, just to say I live in Miami ...but then again we do have a lot of accidents,thefts, and some serious road range!

Any clues on what kind of Homeowner's Insurance and taxes I might be looking at for an average (not too old) 4 bedroom pool home, not more that 2,500 SF??? Here Property Taxes start at about $3,500/year anywhere up to $7-$9,000/year. Insurance is anywhere from $2,200 to $6,000/year. And there's also the Homeowner's Associations that range anywhere from $104/month to $500/month.

How about the average utility bill??? I did notice that groceries in general are much more economical.

Any hints on the job market??? I noticed most jobs are in Melbourne and Cape Canaveral. Here in Miami I am Realtor, and it does okay, because I have lived here all my life. But, its become rather saturated; making it difficult to make a decent living. I will be new to the area, so I know it will take some time before I am able to build my business over there, therefore I would need to find employment.

Any feedback would be great !!! This is a big move for me and my family, and although I am VERY excited, I am still rather nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,260 times
How did your move go? I might be relocating to Merritt Island next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County