U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 AM

198 posts, read 380,916 times

Advertisements

I know that everything is computerized and the agents I have contacted send me listing alerts even though I tell them that I have access to the Brevard MLS and check it myself everyday. Are there no realtors or buyer's agents willing to work with me on a personal level? Maybe it's because I only want to spend 70-80K and that is not enough for them. Their sites make me sign up to give me access to the same listings I can find on MLS myself. Then every few days they send me the same ones--not new listings but all of them. I ask questions about towns and do not get answers. I have received better advice from some great folks here than from the "professionals". I have tried to research agent reviews and I am having a hard time getting that info.
The following is what I emailed to an agent and his reply:
> I have been in contact with about 4 realtors in Brevard county. Everyone
> seems to keep sending me the same listings over and over again. I have
> only found one who I had to call on my dime to discuss what we are looking
> for. Maybe it is the low price range and that's fine. Now I am researching
> palm Bay. Many have advised me that Palm Bay is unsafe and not where we
> would want to live. Others say that the SE and SW areas are ok. I am
> confused as we have been looking at Titusville/Mims because of our 3 large
> dogs and 4 cats and we must have a large yard with a privacy fence and
> apparently city water. We also must have a pool. So I see some of the
> cheaper listings at 40K would allow us to add a pool to get to our top
> price of $80K cash.And I know there are pool homes that need some updating in my price range, but I need expert advice about the areas in the towns so we do not buy in an area that we would not like. I know the email alerts are all computerized but I
> would love to receive my specs for all the towns in Brevard. I would
> really like to know all about palm Bay and if it is an area we should
> avoid. We are relocating from VT as soon as our home sells, and may need
> to rent (with all of our pets) short term before we find the right home
> for us. Thank you!

His reply: Hi Allison,
I can send you listings for all of Brevard County but I need to know how
many beds and baths, square footage, year built, block or frame
construction, garage, and lot size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 PM

504 posts, read 619,181 times
Sad as it sounds I don't think many RE agents take most customers seriously, buyers and sellers. I am looking at listing a house in another state as the personal representative of my mom's estate and I get the other end. What are you going to do to help sell when I ask?... "well we are going to put it on MLS and take a few photos", ok but what are you going to do to market it for real?, again they reply "put it on MLS"....

Unfortunately at your price point, plus most agents don't care too much to find exacting details, you might not get a ton of help. I went through the same kind of thing getting listings in about 5 cities we looked at moving too last few years. What a pain. Those searches almost never work that well. The listings are inaccurate enough many drop off a search, plus those searches are just so inflexible. I finally found that searching on number of bathrooms then eliminating half myself worked better than searching by bedrooms because some people list everything as a bedroom, others do not.

I'd give them search criteria but try to create my own because that is what worked for us. When we bought it took me 4 trips here to find what we ended up doing. I wish it was easier.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 PM

I have my own home listed here in VT with a realtor. I also have my own website for it and it's on Craigslist. I have a signed agreement with the realtor that if the buyer comes from my efforts then I will pay her 3%. Most of my traffic has come from my efforts. I don't mind doing it because I need to sell it so we can relocate to FL. I do hope that someone there will realize that I am searching the MLS everyday and before we go down there I will have a list of homes we want to see if they are available so we don't waste a lot of time for any of us. I want their expertise about the towns that would be a good fit and the areas within those towns as it is hard to get great info about that online.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 PM

153 posts, read 305,414 times
$40k to $80k wont get much in FL, especially if your looking for a pool, fenced yard, safe area .... Best bet is to look at foreclosures, short sales and HUD homes and try to find a desperate seller or bank owned property. With that being said, you may also want to be more realistic with your expectations with a realtor as the market here for the $40K - $80K price range pretty much limits you to mobile homes and foreclosures in the hood, and your seven pets will make it nearly impossible to find a rental here, hence why no one is contacting you back. Good luck!

Old 05-04-2012, 06:03 AM

Thank you for your stellar advice. Now if only I could figure out a way to find listings of foreclosures, short sales, HUD and bank owned properties in the areas of the towns I still know nothing about.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:44 AM

www.auction.com

is one of the main websites the government uses to dispose of properties I think from Fannie and Freddie. The website seems straightforward but there are auctions and non auctions, so just register and check all over website. However many require cash payment, great price but all cash. Some have open house, many not. There was one other website that has many but I can't find my link anymore now that I am no longer looking, so auction.com is not the only website used by the government.

The majority of foreclosed, bank owned homes are sold by realtors, UNFORTUNATELY I believe after talking with many people that the vast majority of better ones are all sold to insiders and so on for flipping, or reselling, or living, and so on. Average joe/jane stands not the best chance in that game. But here is a link that may help some:

Bank Owned REO Database Lists

Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 AM

Thank you so much TestEngr for that most valuable post. I do appreciate it very much! We will be cash buyers and plan to live in the home.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:16 AM

2,932 posts, read 3,995,071 times
After spending quite a bit of time tramping around Florida looking for what I wanted, I can honestly tell you that most people are expecting something that isn't there. They aren't giving houses away. There's no perfect place to live. Nothing is going to be what you're used to. You're going to need an open mind, a good attitude, and a willingness to adapt. If you have to stick to a price point, expect to spend a long time looking, a long time closing, and most likely a lowering of your expectations. There's a place here for everyone. Just try to be as realistic as possible. As for an agent, I can't understand why you're experiencing such frustration. I will say that when I called down from Jersey, most sent me a few listings and asked when I'd like to come down and look. Upon arriving, announced of course, I was treated very well and shown many houses. At my price point, above, and below. It finally came down to what I wanted, how much time I wanted to wait, (short sales can take 6-12 months) and how much work I wanted to do. I wound up spending 30k more than I had planned, but got an almost new home, with nothing to do and all the features I wanted.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
...I can honestly tell you that most people are expecting something that isn't there. They aren't giving houses away. ..
If you have millions of dollars and are friends of a few bankers/banks they will call you ahead of everyone else and **they will** "give" you the foreclosed house rather than maintain it and go through the whole process. I am pretty sure that goes on all day long.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:30 PM

2,932 posts, read 3,995,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
If you have millions of dollars and are friends of a few bankers/banks they will call you ahead of everyone else and **they will** "give" you the foreclosed house rather than maintain it and go through the whole process. I am pretty sure that goes on all day long.
I don't doubt that. I was addressing the average buyer who is looking for a "steal" in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County