U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 08:20 PM

17,849 posts, read 17,650,334 times

Advertisements

I haven't lived in Cocoa Beach, but I've been there a million times for the beach.

I personally HATECocoa Beach. I find it run down, tacky, ugly, old (but not historic old, just plain old and lost in time), restaurant scene is horrible, shopping scene is horrible... there is absolutely nothing I like about the city itself and I'm not joking. The only thing is the beach, but even the beach doesn't compare to South Florida, where they have crystal clear blue water. It's good enough for a day trip for people who live in Orlando, but to move there for that beach is crazy IMO considering all the beautiful beaches in Florida with nicer beach towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 09:40 PM

782 posts, read 766,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I haven't lived in Cocoa Beach, but I've been there a million times for the beach.

I personally HATECocoa Beach. I find it run down, tacky, ugly, old (but not historic old, just plain old and lost in time), restaurant scene is horrible, shopping scene is horrible... there is absolutely nothing I like about the city itself and I'm not joking. The only thing is the beach, but even the beach doesn't compare to South Florida, where they have crystal clear blue water. It's good enough for a day trip for people who live in Orlando, but to move there for that beach is crazy IMO considering all the beautiful beaches in Florida with nicer beach towns.
I find it hard to believe you continue to come back "a million times" yet you hate it so much. If the beaches and town are so bad, why keep coming back? Something must be bringing you back.
Coming from NY, I really do not like what I see in south Florida. Sure you can people watch there, but the crowded, dirty (literly garbage and cigarette butts every few steps) makes going there once in awhile enough for me. I will take quaint and old Cocoa Beach any day over the even older South Beach if I wanted to live in one vs. the other, especially when considering prices.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:25 AM

Read my post again, I hate everything about Cocoa Beach, but the only thing is the beach, meaning the only thing good about it is the beach. However, you cannot compare Cocoa Beach to any of the beaches in South Florida unless you only care about waves.

I live in Orlando, so I go to Cocoa Beach for the beach along with some others, but Cocoa is the easiest to get to from where I am. The city is just a dump though. The actual beach is nice, especially when compared to other parts of the country. It sure beats California beaches, but there are a lot nicer beaches in Florida though.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:27 AM

782 posts, read 766,233 times
I guess we can agree to disagree in our perspectives. I think the proximity to Orlando is a big factor to its popularity. But very good schools, relatively low cost of living for a beach town and to me a more laid back feel are also big draws for families looking to settle down. With the space industry right here and all that it brings, decent paying jobs are coming back too. When I look at all the pluses, it becomes an attractive choice. Sure there is no blue water but the temperatures outside are also 8-10 degrees cooler compared to further south, making it a little more tolerable in the spring and summer months. I guess the fact that real estate inventory is so low and price have risen steadily in the last 7 years with little indication of change, shows others must be feeling the same. As an investor, I find plenty of renters that are looking to be by a beach but central to many areas. Cocoa Beach fits that need almost perfectly. Lastly, I think the food choices are amazing for such a small area. Some of the best local seafood can be found here and it is one of many things I look forward to when visiting.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:04 AM

10,540 posts, read 10,753,558 times
Quote:
Read my post again, I hate everything about Cocoa Beach, but the only thing is the beach, meaning the only thing good about it is the beach. However, you cannot compare Cocoa Beach to any of the beaches in South Florida unless you only care about waves.

I live in Orlando, so I go to Cocoa Beach for the beach along with some others, but Cocoa is the easiest to get to from where I am. The city is just a dump though. The actual beach is nice, especially when compared to other parts of the country. It sure beats California beaches, but there are a lot nicer beaches in Florida though.
Which is probably why you should venture south to less touristy beaches like satellite and indialantic. Less trashy looking and less touristy.

And for families Brevard schools are on par with Seminole and far greater in quality than what you'll find in Orange on average. So for families who prefer beach living with weekend trips to Orlando, cocoa beach may be the way to go

Last edited by chopchop0; 04-22-2018 at 07:14 AM..

Old 04-22-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Which is probably why you should venture south to less touristy beaches like satellite and indialantic. Less trashy looking and less touristy.

And for families Brevard schools are on par with Seminole and far greater in quality than what you'll find in Orange on average. So for families who prefer beach living with weekend trips to Orlando, cocoa beach may be the way to go
I've been all up and down the coast including those communities. I mostly go to New Smyrna Beach, Melbourne Beach and Siesta Key (which I love, it's just that drive is a bit long). Cocoa Beach is just if I want the the nearest beach. I agree that Melbourne area is much nicer than Cocoa Beach area, but it's still nothing compared to South Florida coastal towns that seem very well kept, thriving, etc.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:56 AM

10,082 posts, read 12,101,716 times
Quote:

100% spot on!

Old 04-22-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
I guess we can agree to disagree in our perspectives. I think the proximity to Orlando is a big factor to its popularity. But very good schools, relatively low cost of living for a beach town and to me a more laid back feel are also big draws for families looking to settle down. With the space industry right here and all that it brings, decent paying jobs are coming back too. When I look at all the pluses, it becomes an attractive choice. Sure there is no blue water but the temperatures outside are also 8-10 degrees cooler compared to further south, making it a little more tolerable in the spring and summer months. I guess the fact that real estate inventory is so low and price have risen steadily in the last 7 years with little indication of change, shows others must be feeling the same. As an investor, I find plenty of renters that are looking to be by a beach but central to many areas. Cocoa Beach fits that need almost perfectly. Lastly, I think the food choices are amazing for such a small area. Some of the best local seafood can be found here and it is one of many things I look forward to when visiting.
What seafood restaurants do you recommend? So far, everything I've tried is the typical fish sandwiches on processed burger buns and fried offerings, which make no difference whether the fish is local wild caught vs frozen farm raised. Any places that serve grilled whole local non-frozen fish?

Old 04-22-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
What seafood restaurants do you recommend? So far, everything I've tried is the typical fish sandwiches on processed burger buns and fried offerings, which make no difference whether the fish is local wild caught vs frozen farm raised. Any places that serve grilled whole local non-frozen fish?
Grills in Canaveral or Melbourne? Not a single fried seafood item on the menu, and the menu actually makes fun of fried fish places. Try the fresh caught filefish or the shark kabobs (which sell out often). They will also cook what you bring in fresh from the boat (lots of people visit the restaurant via boat)

Last edited by chopchop0; 04-22-2018 at 12:02 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
South Florida coastal towns that seem very well kept, thriving, etc.
Also, more expensive and more crowded in my experience. You can find quiet parts of Daytona (like ponce inlet) and Mel beach with beautiful sand and water to rival anything down south, without the overcrowding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or