Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 AM

8 posts, read 16,128 times

Advertisements

Javagirlx,

I replied to one of you other posts earlier on a different thread!!

My son is a freshmen at Satellite High, where is goes "Out of Area" as he is zoned for Melbourne High. We opted for this mainly due to the excellent Instrumental Music program, academics and small size of the school. If you prefer a smaller school, based on your comment about Viera, I would choose Satellite. Also, the options for waterfront homes in the Indian Harbour Beach and Satellite Beach area are much more extensive than Indialantic and Melbourne Beach (plus usually more affordable!!)

I don't know anyone who put their children into these schools as juniors, but I would think it will be a little tough at any of the schools since many will already have long term friends. It may be a little easier at Satellite, since they have a Fine Arts Academy that draws students for many feeder schools (out of district) therefore many new faces. Also, if they are involved in music, sports or any extracurricular like those, they would probably have good opportunities to make friends. Even though my son is a 9th grader, nearly all of his friends are 11th graders due to meeting them thru Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Orchestra and some advanced honors courses typically taken by upperclassmen. He knew very few students when entering, as most came from DeLaura Middle, and he has made a great group of friends through music and loves it there! The students in sports usually make many or most of their friends through those activities too and seem very happy.

If we moved here at high school age I think we would have selected Satellite zoning, but we moved when our son was 2, and Indialantic elementary and Hoover middle were excellent!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance of if you need assistance in househunting and other real estate advice since I've been a licensed Realtor since 1994!

Lori Hurwitz
The Britton Group
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,595 times
Thank you for your posting! I am an RN looking to relocate with my two sons (ages 8 and 12) to Florida and have done so much research on and visited the areas throughout Central Florida from Tampa to Orlando. I haven't been able to find a full/part time position in nursing and I am thinking that it may be due to not having a physical address in Florida - I am moving from Delaware. I will most definitely be renting for at least the first year. A friend most recently spent time in and around Rockledge/Viera Beach and loved the area very much thus my search has expanded to this area. Being that you posted your information in 2012, I wondered if you had indeed moved to Florida and whether you are happy with your choice of location. My boys are very active in music and sports (mainly soccer) and I am looking for an area that could provide options for job opportunities for nurses that are relatively close by to where one could rent/lease a place. Should you have any feedback, I would greatly appreciate it!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:27 AM

6 posts, read 24,030 times
We ended up remaining in Iowa and not moving to Brevard County, primarily due to the financial risk of carrying our Iowa home longer than we could afford. We made our final decision last July, and looking back, it was probably the right call financially. Now that the housing markets are improving we may have an easier time selling. Another contributing factor was the relo package from my employer was not as helpful as in the past. Basically my company wanted me to relocate, but due to the economy they were cutting the relo benefit package, therefore we were going to assume more of the financial risk. In the end, we did not move since we were in a position where we had a choice (i.e., we didn'n "have to" move).

Both boys look back and kind of wish we had moved, but at the same time they've had a great year in school. Our 8th grader believes he would have been challenged more at one of the Florida schools, and he is probably correct. But he did some extra-curricular activities and is taking AP courses as a freshman next year. And our Sophomore met a girl....so he's okay that we stayed!

And we took what we had saved for the move and invested in a remodeled kitchen (its such a huge family improvement that it feels like a new home, and also changed our family dynamic--we spend much more time hanging out in the open kitchen / dining area now).

Bottom line, we did a lot of research and everyone was very helpful. But at the end of the day we didn't have that "warm fuzzy" about the financials so we postponed the move. I do think we will make that move some day. Proverbs 16:9.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:53 AM

167 posts, read 302,799 times
dbde have you moved yet the are you are looking Like Beach side is very good for living ,but check out Melbourne and Health First I had many friends that worked in this Hospital system. Good Luck in the move It is a great place to live and rise a young family!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 AM

6 posts, read 23,023 times
Smile relocation

Thank you sooo much for this post I have also be doing some serious homework on Brevard county
my focus location is Melbourne beach/satellite. im looking for apt not houses for now and middle /high schools. we are coming out there june7th for a visit an to chose an apartment as for jobs we are seeing if my husband can xfr but right now were looking at getting new jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County