U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 11:28 PM

169 posts, read 389,275 times

Advertisements

#3 Add to 1insider's Reputation Report Post
Old 09-08-2012, 06:27 AM
1insider
befriend

1,391 posts, read 957,410 times

Long-time Cocoa Beach resident here. I love my town. Small enough (<12,000 souls) that wherever I go, grocery store, golf course, restaurants or coffee shops, I see friendly neighbors. I feel like I know everyone. I love seeing the stream of school kids walking, on skateboards and bikes going to and from school on the long sidewalk along the river on Minutemen. I love that the City sees fit to occasionally block off the stretch of road by City Hall to have street parties for the residents. People, kids, dogs live music, food, etc. I love seeing on my drive to the office, residents with their first cup of coffee walking across the road to the beach to check the sunrise and surf. I love how many people get around by bicycle in my town. I love that nowhere in Cocoa Beach is the speed limit greater than 35 MPH. I love that for $10 per year as a resident I can get a parking decal that allows me to park anywhere in the city without feeding a meter or paying. I love that to my east is the Atlantic Ocean and just a stone's throw to my west in most places is the Banana River. Like Earth and the human body, Cocoa Beach is 70% water. Our population has not grown by a single person in over 40 years.

Those who identify Cocoa Beach with the tourist area around Ron Jons and the Pier or Coconuts on the weekend have missed the real town. There is a friendly close-knit community that is not apparent at first glance or if one is looking in the north end of town. Oh yeah, the #18 rated junior/senior high school in the state. Rocket launches. Catching snook, tarpon, pompano, etc. from the beach. Redfish, snook and trout among the Thousand Islands in the river. Manatees and dolphins anytime you want to see one. Public country club with 27 holes of excellent golf along the Banana River at crazy low prices and a superb tennis facility with clay and hard courts and the largest outdoor public swimming pool in the state. Yep, I sorta like it here. Just my take, I suspect there are those who will find my town not to their liking.
Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

I love this post!!! I grew up watching I Dream of Jeannie and so often said I wanted to live in Cocoa Beach but I never knew what a neat little town it is! We didn't get up there during our last visit but will be sure to prioritize it next time. My husband and I would love it based upon this description! And a parking pass for $10 a year for residents?!? What a bonus! That's what it costs to valet a car for a few hours!

Thanks for the Norman Rockwell-esque depiction!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 03:33 PM

81 posts, read 195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkingrelocation View Post
I'm considering accepting a position in Cocoa Fl. I've read all the different responses of Cocoa vs Cocoa Beach and now I'm kind of nervous about the Cocoa area. Being from the Midwest I know very little about Florida. Is Cocoa a bad / unsafe place? How far is Cocoa Beach from Cocoa (could a person live in Cocoa Beach and work in Cocoa). Also the cost of Apartments, what is the average costs of 2 bedroom apts (in Cocoa Beach and in a nice area / complex?
I live in Cocoa Beach and work in Cocoa. It's about a 25 minute drive give or take a few minutes. I vastly prefer Cocoa Beach for living for sure. That said..depending on what you're doing, work hours..I wouldn't worry about working in Cocoa. I'm not sure I would want to work at night in certain parts of the city, but during the day you'll be fine. I actually work at the high school, and was warned about Cocoa. But I have encountered nothing but polite, helpful students and zero fights unlike the school I had worked at previously in Hawaii. I think Cocoa, in general, does get kind of a bad rap. That's not to say there are not seedy areas..but the community that I've encountered is a friendly one.
Cocoa beach is extremely safe...not sure about the night scene by the tourist areas..not really out at night..but in my downtown community there are kids on bikes, and people just out and about. A very healthy and lively community.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:57 PM

10,540 posts, read 10,758,323 times
Cocoa village is actually really nice imo

Old 10-14-2015, 04:36 AM

782 posts, read 766,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Cocoa village is actually really nice imo
Agreed. It took some years before checking Cocoa a Village out. But now it has become one of our "must stop" to do's when we visit the area. Great shops, restaurants and some art.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:22 AM

232 posts, read 298,786 times
Cocoa Village now has a new doughnut shop. Rumor has it that it's pretty good, if you're into doughnuts

Old 10-16-2015, 06:53 AM

120 posts, read 155,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
Cocoa Village now has a new doughnut shop. Rumor has it that it's pretty good, if you're into doughnuts
Nice! I'm going to check that place out when it's open.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:16 AM

119 posts, read 155,726 times
Default Cocoa Florida?

I saw an ad for a cute little house in Cocoa Florida ( Whispering Pines ). The area looks a bit sketchy. Can anyone chime in on this area? The house is cute, the price is right. I am a retired single man.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:34 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,911,871 times
Not familiar with Whispering Pines; do you have a general street address?

I spent my teen years in Cocoa, in the late 70s and early 80s. It always had a sketchy area near 520 west of US1, but in my visits to my home (yearly) since I left, I've seen a general downturn in other areas. I believe the commercial base has deteriorated, and that's meant less money for government and residents alike.

The schools in Cocoa Beach are reportedly quite good -- there is or was an IB program at CB High, which is commendable.

There are still lovely areas of Cocoa - along the River Road, mostly. What the city has done with Cocoa Village is close to miraculous. That area was pretty much a shuttered ghost town when I lived there. Now it's an actual destination. Truly a great way to spend an afternoon.

There are lovely riverfront condos near Cocoa Village that are worth checking out if you're looking for a place.

If I were to move a family to the area now, I'd pick Cocoa Beach for the schools alone.
But if schools were not a concern, I wouldn't rule out the nicer areas of Cocoa. I love the Indian River over the Banana, but I admit I'm biased...

Old 06-09-2016, 04:42 AM

3,642 posts, read 3,057,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
I saw an ad for a cute little house in Cocoa Florida ( Whispering Pines ). The area looks a bit sketchy. Can anyone chime in on this area? The house is cute, the price is right. I am a retired single man.
That is a cute house. 432 square feet for $25,000. Go to Google maps and do a street view tour of the neighborhood. The cuteness fades pretty quickly.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:48 PM

9 posts, read 7,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdavie View Post
Hi dee

I responded to your other post on the other thread but this post has more detail.

If you want beachside you should still be able to get something good for up to 750 rent per month.

Give me more detail and I will go to the MLS and hunt for you. Do you have to have 2 bedrooms and 2 baths or are you flexible? Can it be an apartment or do you want a mobile home or a concrete block house?

Try to give as much detail as you feel comfortable with.
I need beachside???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County