U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 PM

587 posts, read 925,656 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the comments, Annagurl. I live in an older house in Viera and I find that house insurance here - compared to what I pay for my other house elsewhere - is pretty high.

I've been told that if I lived on Merritt Island or right on the Atlantic coast property insurance would be significantly higher.

Is that so? How do the 3 (Viera, Merritt and Satellite Beach) compare?

I suppose it would make life very slightly easier if I lived on Merritt Island or on Satellite Beach, but driving all the way from Viera is hardly a major trek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 03:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,526 times
I live in Melbourne, in a neighborhood located between the Pineda Causeway and Brevard Community College.

Melbourne is more of a higher-income city compared to the rest of Brevard county, as a lot of us work for advanced technology companies like Harris or Ensco. I would not say Melbourne is all that boring, given its proximity to Orlando's theme parks and active night life. There is entertainment and many stores and restaurants to be found in the area, especially in Viera, which feels more like an extension of Melbourne than its own city. Satellite Beach (where Patrick Air Force Base is located) is just over the bridges, so the beach is like a 10 minute drive away. Schools in the area are in the top 10% in Florida, I believe.

I've got to be honest with you, though... when you fill a city with engineers, you get a noticeably less social community. It's mostly the people that makes Melbourne boring for some. Some people can be snobs who consider surrounding cities as being poor, with rampant drug and crime issues. Like 80%+ of Melbourne's citizens are Republican, some of whichare religious fundamentalists. Some of them can be quite condescending. People are usually friendly and civil towards each other, at least.

Melbourne almost never experiences any damage from storms or hurricanes, there are no sinkholes, and the extremely rare times that there are tornado watches, they're in surrounding rural areas... but because of our proximity to Satellite Beach, house insurance companies are taking advantage of us, and the rates continue to rise.

Based solely on the ease of travel between Melbourne and Orlando, a place around where I live would have to be the winner, as it has easy access to I-95 just about everywhere you need to go.Traffic on Wickham Rd is not as bad as people make it out to be; most travel through it can be bypassed by taking I-95 or US-1. Tolls to Orlando will run about $5-$6 each way though, so if you don't want to carry $12 of change every day, it'd be wise to get an EZ Pass. Or you could skip the tolls altogether by getting off at Exit 201 and riding 520 all the way to Orlando. However, if you take the toll-less route, you might hit heavy traffic in Orlando, depending on how far in you're traveling, and may have to switch to a toll road to get to your destination quickly. Living in Merritt Island would be slower because of traffic on the roads leading to the interstate.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,616,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marenwynn View Post
Like 80%+ of Melbourne's citizens are Republican, some of whichare religious fundamentalists. Some of them can be quite condescending.
Was this a necessary comment to make? Did it add value to your post? Nope.

Intentionally highlighting our political divisions is what's going to rip our nation apart one day!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,273 times
Default Wow! Thanks!

I'd like to add my thanks to annagurl. Hubby and I are planning to relocate to Titusville. I've been hunting for information that will give me a true picture of the city. Your post is the most helpful I've found so far. Thank you!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:12 PM

198 posts, read 381,181 times
We are also relocating to Titusville at the end of this month. I was down in Brevard county 3 weeks ago looking at homes in the 160K range from Melbourne, Merritt Island, West Cocoa and Titusville. The nicest homes with great upkeep were in Titusville. We also have relatives there so it was a no brainer for us. It looks like there is much potential there as well and the townspeople that I met were full of pride and hope to bring the town back to being a successful area. Since we will not need jobs we did not have to factor that in as we will be taking care of my Mom who has Alzheimer's. The most traffic I found was on A1A in Cocoa Beach when I went to Ron Jon's to get some souveniers. It was crazy!

Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 PM

15 posts, read 25,802 times
I live in Port St. John (10 minutes south of Titusville). I adore this area so much more than Melbourne. Melbourne is busy, congested, traffic, Weak enforcement system, etc. Titusville is quiet, located on the large Indian River across from NASA with rocket launches monthly. If you're looking for more of a family neighborhood, try Port St. John. There are five schools and a great area.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:00 PM

198 posts, read 381,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralFLphotography View Post
I live in Port St. John (10 minutes south of Titusville). I adore this area so much more than Melbourne. Melbourne is busy, congested, traffic, Weak enforcement system, etc. Titusville is quiet, located on the large Indian River across from NASA with rocket launches monthly. If you're looking for more of a family neighborhood, try Port St. John. There are five schools and a great area.
When I came down in March there weren't any homes for me to see in Port St John but it seemed like a nice, quiet area along Grissom and west. Since we have lived here for about 4 months now we have gone to Melbourne and West melbourne a few times and the traffic was absurd. Too much of it even though the area comprising alot of well, area. I cannot even imagine what it is like during the snowbird months..gaaack! I am happy in my little town of Titusville and am looking forward to the Miracle City Mall razing and the rebuilding of the outdoor mall they have planned. That really is the only thing that is lacking, though there is a Sears but not much else for that type of shopping. I love the fact that Home Depot, Lowes, Bealls outlet and Walmart are 5 minutes away but my neighborhood is relatively quiet and that is something coming from someone who moved from 10 acres in Vermont. I did get a fountain by the pool so I could hear some running water as I miss my stream sounds the most! I am so glad we made the move. Most everyone is super friendly except the tourists! (lol). (We had the same experience in VT, locals nice, visitors demanding and rude) Oh well! BTW, just love the launches! And the nature! Manatees, dolphins, cool birds and gators!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 PM

3,554 posts, read 6,182,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtallison View Post
When I came down in March there weren't any homes for me to see in Port St John but it seemed like a nice, quiet area along Grissom and west. Since we have lived here for about 4 months now we have gone to Melbourne and West melbourne a few times and the traffic was absurd. Too much of it even though the area comprising alot of well, area. I cannot even imagine what it is like during the snowbird months..gaaack! I am happy in my little town of Titusville and am looking forward to the Miracle City Mall razing and the rebuilding of the outdoor mall they have planned. That really is the only thing that is lacking, though there is a Sears but not much else for that type of shopping. I love the fact that Home Depot, Lowes, Bealls outlet and Walmart are 5 minutes away but my neighborhood is relatively quiet and that is something coming from someone who moved from 10 acres in Vermont. I did get a fountain by the pool so I could hear some running water as I miss my stream sounds the most! I am so glad we made the move. Most everyone is super friendly except the tourists! (lol). (We had the same experience in VT, locals nice, visitors demanding and rude) Oh well! BTW, just love the launches! And the nature! Manatees, dolphins, cool birds and gators!

Always glad to hear a happy newcomer. Did you get the pass for the National Parks so you can go to theNational Seashore often. Love that place and we try to get there as often as we can even though we areway down South in Brevard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or