U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 12,524 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have spent days looking through posts and am more confused than ever. City-data shows Cocoa Beach as a high crime area (red outline) but most of the posters seem to say it's not. Whats the real deal? Also, city-data shows Cape Canaveral as the least crime area but it's so close to the red-lined Cocoa Beach that it doesn't make sense for it to be so much lower. I assume I'm missing something.
While we are at it, a lot of the posts seemed to suggest that the Space-coast area is filled with bigots and less tolerant people. City-data in general shows educated people so I'm confused on that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM

10,576 posts, read 10,792,849 times
Cocoa Beach is nice. Cocoa is high-crime. They are literally a bridge away from each other.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 AM

3,673 posts, read 3,077,379 times
Actually they are three bridges apart; Banana River, Sykes Creek and Indian River. The crime data for Cocoa Beach demonstrates the flaw in the methodology. It's occurrences per 100,000. In a city with 12,000 like Cocoa Beach the method fails terribly at painting a true picture. I have lived in Cocoa Beach for 23 years and the only crime I've personally experienced is a stolen bike. I can't imagine a safer place in Florida than Cocoa Beach. As for bigots, they apparently are everywhere but I'd venture that there are more open-minded people here in Cocoa Beach than most places in Florida. If you're looking for a laid-back, friendly, safe town, Cocoa Beach is a fit.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Actually they are three bridges apart; Banana River, Sykes Creek and Indian River.
true.... forgot about the big island in the middle

Old 12-23-2018, 03:34 PM

30 posts, read 22,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Actually they are three bridges apart; Banana River, Sykes Creek and Indian River. The crime data for Cocoa Beach demonstrates the flaw in the methodology. It's occurrences per 100,000. In a city with 12,000 like Cocoa Beach the method fails terribly at painting a true picture. I have lived in Cocoa Beach for 23 years and the only crime I've personally experienced is a stolen bike. I can't imagine a safer place in Florida than Cocoa Beach. As for bigots, they apparently are everywhere but I'd venture that there are more open-minded people here in Cocoa Beach than most places in Florida. If you're looking for a laid-back, friendly, safe town, Cocoa Beach is a fit.
Thank you so much for this. Really. You have no clue how long Ive been researching and finding way too many crime ridden areas according to sites that contradict each other. Finally I see someone pointing out a flawed method. As someone in a wheelchair, safety is extremely important to me, and Id like to not have to sacrifice the less important things as much for safety. Do you have tips on how to convert the methodology we see to a more realistic idea of it?

Old 01-10-2019, 04:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,596 times
We live in Cape Canaveral, one mile from Cocoa Beach. I see women(alone) jogging before dawn and at night towards Cocoa Beach, people walking with their children at night and older couples, too. I believe the Cocoa Beach crime stats are flawed. Yes; there are many bars and clubs in Cocoa Beach and perhaps the 'crimes' are related to alcohol consumption. We find CC/CB area to be quite safe.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:42 AM

587 posts, read 1,111,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastMark View Post
I believe the Cocoa Beach crime stats are flawed. Yes; there are many bars and clubs in Cocoa Beach and perhaps the 'crimes' are related to alcohol consumption. We find CC/CB area to be quite safe.
Good point. There's always a certain amount of low-level crime in tourist zones, and Cocoa Beach definitely has a tourist zone. But I rarely hear bad things about the residential areas.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:44 AM

3,552 posts, read 6,174,470 times
I think one of the most important things for someone who is confined to a wheel chair is- make sure the area has sidewalks. Not all areas in Brevard County have sidewalks in residential areas or even where stores and businesses are.

If you don't drive also make sure the buses run close to where you live so you can get to other areas for doctors, fun, etc..

Most areas in Brevard are pretty safe but crime can even happen in the best protected gated community. You just have to use the same precautions as everywhere.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:35 PM

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/n...ch/2643779002/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County