Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 01:28 AM

91 posts, read 140,100 times

Advertisements

For those of you living in Brevard County (Viera, Merritt Island, etc.), how often do you go to the Disney and Universal parks? It seems like a great draw card for a family moving to Central Florida to have the parks just driving distance away but, realistically, how often do you tend to go? We have some flexibility with where we can move so we're trying to decide between Merritt Island, Viera or Winter Park/Windermere/Doctor Phillips. My kids are 9 & 11 years old so great schools are key to the move, however, we also enjoy doing family stuff whether that be amusement parks, beach trips, zoo's, meals out, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 06:07 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
I lived in Melbourne from age 6 to 29. I've been to Disney (Magic Kingdom) twice: when I was 9 and relatives were visiting from out of town and took me and 17 when I went with a friend on a lark. Never been to Epcot. I went to Sea World once when I was 22 and bored and happened to have a little bit of money, and Universal Studios once when I was 23 (same circumstances as Sea World). I also lived in Tampa for 12 years and have only been to Busch Gardens once for a behind the scenes tour for a class I was taking.
On the other hand, I know people who spend a week at Disney every single year. So I guess it just depends on the individual family.

With that said, I used to go to the beach a LOT (especially once I was old enough to drive myself).

Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 AM

91 posts, read 140,100 times
I'm trying to decide if we're more beach people or park people. If we're closer to the parks will we use them more, with the odd trip to the beach? Or, if we live nearer the beach will we visit the beach more, with the odd trip to the parks?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:58 AM

17 posts, read 47,909 times
We are moving down next month from he northeast and looked at the same areas. We go to Disney all the time. We are beach people and figure to have a little distance between us and Orlando will ensure going to the parks doesn't get old, and day to day living will be great at the beach. good luck!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:00 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
I'd suggest you concentrate on the community, the schools, affordability and lifestyle. The beach and the parks are a bonus. And of course the weather..... I've been to the parks more in 2 years than I had in the previous 30 years. I live within 3 miles of the beach and I'm at the inlet fishing more than sitting in the sand. It's a pretty good set up for me... since I fish more often than I go to the parks. Sounds like you're going to have a family vote.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expataussie View Post
I'm trying to decide if we're more beach people or park people. If we're closer to the parks will we use them more, with the odd trip to the beach? Or, if we live nearer the beach will we visit the beach more, with the odd trip to the parks?
You'll be an hour away in either case. The Space coast has better schools than what you'll find in Osceola or Orange county, probably on par with Seminole county. Getting from Lake Mary to the theme parks will literally take almost as much time as getting from parts of brevard county to the theme parks because of the increased traffic on I-4 at times.

I think better traffic and schools in Brevard county and being near the water a better bet IMO. Orlando is better if you need to be near the action all the time with better shopping, restaurants etc.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
There are 7 days a week so there is plenty of time for the beach and the parks. In our case when the kids were pre-school we went to the beach a few times a week-often while there dad was working. We had season passes to Sea World and went about twice a month. Kennedy Space center was free back then and we would go there about every Sunday. We went to the MK about 10 times a year alone and maybe twice a year with family from the North.

Once the kids were in school, it was still easy to get to the beach, but school activities, lessons, and sports took over free time for the kids so only went to Disney a couple times a year and on field trips. We even quit going with family from the North and told them the parks are that way. Surfing became the priority.

Today with the kids grown and on their own. We still hit the beach at least 3 or 4 times a week. We go to Sea World about 12-15 times a year and the Disney parks about 10 times a year. We take friends and family from the North to the parks again too.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:26 PM

44 posts, read 180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlX View Post
We are moving down next month from he northeast and looked at the same areas. We go to Disney all the time. We are beach people and figure to have a little distance between us and Orlando will ensure going to the parks doesn't get old, and day to day living will be great at the beach. good luck!
I could practically ditto this, except we're moving down from the northwest. We settled on Brevard county for the schools and the beaches. We love Disney and have taken the kids annually for several years. It's got a special place in our hearts, and we don't want the magic to grow old. So we figured if we have to drive to get there, we won't be down there every weekend, and it will still be a special place. Of course the kids are asking if that's the first thing we can do when we get into town, so I imagine we'll visit a bit this summer. We're leaving in 9 days......

Old 05-16-2013, 10:25 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
For long-time residents of Florida, the crowds and long lines at the theme parks ... are not nearly the 'must see ... often' attractions some tourists imagine.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
I like going over for a weekend and staying at a Disney hotel like the Dolphin or Swan and enjoying the Disney experience without actually doing any of the park stuff. Lots of excellent restaurants (Blue Zoo, California Grill, Wolfgang Pucks), bars, concerts (Hard Rock, House of Blues), etc. We go over from the beach and do this 2 or 3 times a year. Free buses, monorail, ferries once you get to the hotel so it's park the car and become a tourist but never stand in line. After a couple of days of that it's back to the slow pace and ocean breeze in Cocoa Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County