Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,993 times

Advertisements

Hello, My family and I are looking to relocate. My husband's job will be on the East side of Orlando and we are not excited by the idea of living in that busy town. My husband is willing to commute to live in a beachside community...I was thinking New Smyrna or Satellite Bch as they look to be about an hour commute each..We love a slower paced lifestyle...like to have some options for entertainment but are not always on-the-go type people. We enjoy just being by the water, surfing a little, kayaking etc. My daughter is 2 now, but the potential for good schools and some activities for her are important to us. Safe community. I like the idea of walking to or biking to get coffee or lunch...library etc.
I used to live in Jacksonville Beach for awhile and it has gotten so busy...although I loved the community at the time I think I would prefer something more quiet now. We are in our late 30's. Any thoughts on either of these areas or surrounding ones that may fit for us? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,274 times
Hello PeaceandBeach,
I have been going to NSB for the past 20 years, and while it is a nice get away and it is slow pace living, I think Satellite beach fits your needs a little better. Its near Melbourne which is good for a night on the town or shopping, it has great schools and more to do for entertainment in my opinion.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:37 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Not sure about NSB lifestyle, but, we spent 27 years in Satellite Beach. It's a great little laid-back beach town with growth and traffic limited by the barrier island nature of the area. Still, it's a quick, 1-hour hop to Orlando or 30-minutes to Melbourne. You can't go wrong with Satellite Beach.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:42 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
One difference I notice between the 2 cities is that in New Smyrna there are more boats just parked out on the grass in front of houses and condo buildings. Here in Brevard County that is not allowed.
My cousin lives just off A1A in New Smyrna Beach. Her neighborhood is mostly 1950s/60s houses. It is quiet and she loves it there. I probably would advise only living beachside there. I don't know what the schools are like there. You would have a 10 minute drive up to Daytona Beach where you would have the track, concerts, things to do. I think my cousin mostly even goes to Daytona beach for grocery shopping. To the South you end up in the National Park where there are trails, boat ramps into the waterway etc as well as the beautiful beaches. Oh, yeah..New Smyrna also has a race track.
We go up to go to the Breakers a lot. It is a beach bar that has great burgers and other food.
There is a really cool area of houses on a street east of A1A before you get to the National Park. Really cool beach houses in those couplee of blocks and kind of a seperate beach community.

Satellite Beach has good schools. All the towns here sort of run into each other. There are things to do but maybe not as much in the Daytona/New Smyrna area.

Is your husband's job in the North or south area of Orlando? His commute might be a more important factor in which you choose.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:12 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
As surfers it might be important to know that fall, winter and spring water temps north of the Cape can be 10 degrees colder than Cocoa Beach and south. We are skinning it down here many days when the New Smyrna crew is in wetsuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County