Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,017,671 times

Advertisements

Hello every one

I'm still considering attending Florida Tech in Melbourne. I don't have a car or a license. As it is not really needed here for most things I do in Maryland. I can bike,walk, or catch mass transit for most places I need to go.

Is a car necessary in Melbourne?
Is Melbourne (or the surrounding areas) bike friendly, how reliable is public transit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 05:36 AM

3,975 posts, read 8,141,131 times
Living in Florida tech housing, you could probably get by without a car. There are bike paths along most major streets and it is OK to ride bikes on sidewalks here. You should get to know students who bring cars down with them so that will help. We do have a bus system but it can take a while to get places so you have to really plan. You can bring bike with you on the bus to ride from bus stop sometimes, too I think. There are a couple Publix within a mile or 2 of campus so food isn't too far away.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:52 PM

5 posts, read 6,956 times
Hey I'm going to Florida Tech . This fall will be my first semester there (I'm a transfer student though). I live with my parents in Palm Bay. There's definitely a lot of people there who just have bikes and live on campus, completely doable.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:36 AM

264 posts, read 773,114 times
FIT is located near everything. Within 1-2 miles radius you have the mall, the beach, downtown, restaurants, grocery shopping, hospital, and the airport.

Probably not a bad idea for a college student in Melbourne, you won't be missing out on much without a car, outside of 1-2 miles, especially to the south, life is desolate.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:44 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,791,304 times
FIT is located near a few college-related hangouts and there are also a limited number of businesses along Babcock. However, the general FIT area between University-192-US1-Babcock is a depressed, low-income, somewhat crime-ridden area and not a particularly good place to simply 'hang out.'

Also, Melbourne is a pretty spread-out area. If you want to go to the beach, port, shopping or ???, you will need more transportation than a bicycle. (The Indialantic Beach area, for example, is about 4-5 miles from campus, but, not a particularly bike-friendly ride. In fact, except for the beachside itself, Melbourne is not particularly bike-friendly). If, however, you plan to simply hang-out near your campus dorm(?) or apartment (?) - and eat pizza, a bicycle should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County