Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,521 times

Advertisements

I completely agree with you Annie3 and 1insider and I also live in IL (yuk) too . My wife and I visited Cocoa Beach for the first time in April 2011. We stayed with my sister who lives year round in a direct ocean condo a tad north of Minuteman Causeway. Right from the get-go we were taken aback by Cocoa Beach's quaintness, uniqueness and charm. It has a decidedly retro feel to it -- I thought I'd time warped back to the 60's. We loved the fact that the coast isn't lined with any mega high-rise structures like so many other beach-side communities in FL. Kudos to the zoning folks who put a kibosh on these buildings many moons ago.

Since our first visit we've been back 3 more times, including this past May. Each time we returned we loved it more and more. We've had the opportunity to meet some of the locals and business folks and found everyone was very friendly, warm and inviting. They too ranted and raved about living in Cocoa Beach. Their reasons varied but it seemed there was one common denominator -- a strong sense of community. Cocoa Beach hosts many local events that are very well run and lots of fun.

So how strong was our bonding to Cocoa Beach? Well we closed on our future permanent home just 4 weeks ago. It's a beautiful condo in south Cocoa Beach on the Banana River a short block from the beach. We can't wait to get there full time in January 2014. So looking forward to our first long walk on the beautiful wide-open endless beaches and a frolic or two or three ... in the ocean.

One other big bonus of Cocoa Beach -- it's location/proximity to other nearby popular attractions -- some a very short drive away (Port Canaveral, Cape Canaveral, Disney World, Orlando International Airport, and more).

Best of luck on your future relocation plans. Just know that the housing market in Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral has been pretty hot as of late and inventory is at near historic lows. That may not matter as your a couple years off but prices have been going up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 12:40 PM

28 posts, read 82,104 times
I moved down in June from northern suburbs of Chicago. I looked for places on Merritt Island, Cocoa Beach, Viera and Rockledge. However, we ended up in Indian Harbour Beach and LOVE it. Quiet town, great school and the beach- well, I used to be a gulf side girl- but have warmed up to our little beach quite nicely. I love waking up everyday to palm trees and HOT weather! I love crossing the bridge from the mainland onto our island. People are so nice here, especially those in retail and fast food.
Jobs.. hmm, I will say that I did interview for a job and was offered it before I moved, which is the way to go. However, when I got down here - the employer did the old bait and switch and the job disappeared. I do have a year's worth of savings, and am trying to find another job. My husband is up north, trying to sell the house and hanging onto his job (just in case). I had a great interview last week and hoping for the best, but still applying for jobs every day. We really want to stay!!
Good luck with your dream!!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:25 PM

78 posts, read 122,707 times
Just wanted to say hi to my fellow Illinoisan! We lived in FL 2.5 years ago and are currently trying our best to move back! There's NOTHING like being on the beach in February, NOTHING! Driving by rivers or beaches and the feeling of being in a tropical place all year long, that's the dream! Life is too short to shovel snow year after year!

Wishing you the best with the move if you ever decide on it!

Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 PM

83 posts, read 176,012 times
If you want southern go inland, Okeechobee, Bell Glades, Mariana, Lake City, etc.

Hurricanes, I've been through 4 ...........
A few days for shopping, gas, food, water, plywood, expect long lines and shortages if you're late. a long sleepless night, Screaming, howling winds 80-135 MPH, downed trees, shingles missing, lots broken, no power for possibly 2 days or 1-2 weeks, flooded streets, no phone service, lots of Bar B Q, and during clean up you get to know your neighbors. You're glad the storm didn't pick up overnight, and you're alive. An episode of survivor Florida!

This area has been storm free for decades, but you never know what's coming.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,181 times
The best advice ...make sure you research actively, the stability and income for the field of work which you are in, their are several industries in which you will always find something....but the income here is the questionable market. Best of luck to you!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
I'm so glad people are still commenting on this thread! Thinking about Florida is what will get me through this Illinois winter for sure.

I recently found out about this event - which is not in Brevard County, but still looks really fun. I hope I can go one year!

The Hukilau | The world's most authentic Tiki event

Old 11-20-2013, 08:44 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallbloc View Post
If you want southern go inland, Okeechobee, Bell Glades, Mariana, Lake City, etc.

Hurricanes, I've been through 4 ...........
A few days for shopping, gas, food, water, plywood, expect long lines and shortages if you're late. a long sleepless night, Screaming, howling winds 80-135 MPH, downed trees, shingles missing, lots broken, no power for possibly 2 days or 1-2 weeks, flooded streets, no phone service, lots of Bar B Q, and during clean up you get to know your neighbors. You're glad the storm didn't pick up overnight, and you're alive. An episode of survivor Florida!

This area has been storm free for decades, but you never know what's coming.
That is such a great summary of living through hurricanes!

FWIW, I will not stay for a direct hit for a Cat 1. I lived through Hurricane Hugo in Charleston and NEVER EVER again. A Category one is still a really strong storm and most people don't realize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County