Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2006, 07:16 AM

317 posts, read 1,229,371 times

Advertisements

If you have lived or could live in any one of these 3 areas, which one would it be and why. I am looking to relocate to the general area with a 10 year old boy who is in 5th grade and most importantly, hope to create as much of a seamless transition as possible.

Also - anyone with 10 year oldish kids who has experienced moving them at this age?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 07:50 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,015 times
My parents live in Melbourne and love it. Actually my dad is a school bus driver! Their neighborhood had lots of families and they do not hear many complaints. Very pretty place.

We lived in Satellite many years ago, and the only thing I hear now is to be careful around Cocoa Beach in the p.m. Someone from the area would have better information than I do about that.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:38 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,157,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
If you have lived or could live in any one of these 3 areas, which one would it be and why. I am looking to relocate to the general area with a 10 year old boy who is in 5th grade and most importantly, hope to create as much of a seamless transition as possible.

Also - anyone with 10 year oldish kids who has experienced moving them at this age?

Thanks.
My brother lives in Melbourne and he said that is very busy, lots of traffic, and the population has doubled.

My suggestion: visit the area and do your research. Palm Bay is another good choice.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:01 PM

12 posts, read 51,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post

Thanks.
I brought elementary age children to beachside 30 years ago. They completed all schooling in Florida - including college. Our choice was decided by the fact that Satellite Beach schools are self contained thru high school. Indialantic, Melbourne Beach are bussed to the mainland for high school. The Satellite Beach area kids bike to school for all grades. This was important to us. All beachside has good elementary and junior high schools, but only Satellite has it's own high school. email me anytime at gailpearson@cfl.rr.com. I'm a local realtor.

Last edited by Gail Pearson; 12-12-2008 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: How to reach me.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:44 PM

13 posts, read 111,054 times
FYI to the people, Melbourne is NOT the same place as Melbourne Beach!! It's 100% different. And Palm Bay is a joke, don't move there unless you want to live next to a drug house. I'm not stereotyping it, I lived there myself for years.

Back to your actual question - it depends on what you want. Melbourne Beach has more of a family feel. Not as many shops and things like Indialantic and Satellite Beach, just homes mostly. It's less busy. Indialantic is where I like most just because all my friends live here and my favorite restaurants are here. Also, it's close to the causeway so I can go mainland to see my family. It's busier because a lot of people travel through there from neighboring beaches to use the causeway to go to work, school, etc. A lot of the homes are older though and smaller/run-down. It isn't quite as nice as Melbourne Beach in some ways just because some of the people that live there and Boardwalk is right there (Boardwalk doesn't always attract the best of people), but it's nothing like Cocoa Beach or anything. Satellite Beach is nice but expensive. There are some nice places to eat and go there. Satellite has its own High School (the best HS cheer team in the county but the worst football team in the county). All public schools around though there will be the party scene and drug scene, this school is no exception even if it appears like it's perfect.

Right now I'm in Indialantic but that's because I'm a single girl. When I get a family I think I'll move down to Melbourne Beach for a more relaxed feel. A lot of people love Satellite Beach, just look at the prices of homes there and if you can afford it or not.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:42 PM

12 posts, read 51,879 times
I moved here 30 years ago with a 10 yr old and a 13 year old. Both did very well in FL schools and are now college grads (FL colleges) We chose Sat Bch as children there go thru high school without busing. Indialantic and Melb Beach bus children to Melbourne for their high school years, making it difficult for them to stay after for clubs, etc. We loved Sat Bch and only 3 years ago moved to the mainland. It is like a little town - you know everyone and the kids get freedoms to go to the PO or CVS or sports activities on their bikes. Hope this helps. I'm a realtor so email me at gailpearson@cfl.rr.com if you'd like more help. Gail

Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 AM

448 posts, read 1,470,720 times
We just sold our home in OH. Looking at moving to Vero, Sebastian, or Melbourne. Not sure yet. We did consider Palm Bay, but not anymore. It isn't the greatest of areas. And we thought it was busier than Melbourne.
Anyway, we will heading down soon to look at a bunch of homes.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 AM

569 posts, read 1,668,857 times
I hope you are either retired or you have a great job in hand. There are no jobs in any of these areas. Very poor areas for working class. Very boring areas with nothing going on for young people also. I would look further south into Palm Beach County at least. The nickname for Vero Beach is "Zero Beach" and Sebastian is totally dead. Melbourne has some stores but that's about it. Just nothing to offer.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 PM

448 posts, read 1,470,720 times
thanks for the advice. No we are not at retirement age as of yet. My husband can work from anywhere. He travels quite a bit with his job. As for me, I clean houses for a living. I'm sure some hotel will hire, a grocery store or restaurant. Palm Beach is a bit to pricey for us and closer to Miami. No thanks. Sebastian is mellow. We like that. Plus I could work in Melbourne or Palm Bay if we lived in Sebastian.

thanks for the info. Anything else, please send it.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:06 AM

1 posts, read 10,030 times
Sat beach for 10 YO transition is best bet,2 grade schools surfside and holland, junior high and sat high are side off to each other, houses are less expensive then indiatlantic and melbeach well most but Mel beach and indiatlantic have that nice beachy tropical thing going on cant really explain the minor difference of 7 miles makes but its so.
I travel for work (worldwide from Melbourne int) and thankfull cause the work scene is scarry my wife has been unemployed for a year now luckily we dont need two incomes at the mo. lots of youth activities in Sat beach, walking riding distance to all schools although my kids are shuttled by the misses much to my bemoaning,
Theres always the beach for surfing and rivers/Bch for fishing exploring, Satellite movie theater is funky and cheap my wife keeps telling me its a great place for raising kids.
multiple eating places plenty of stores, bars, it would be perfect if there was a mountian range running from Tally to lake O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County