Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 02:54 PM

20 posts, read 35,457 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have just begun looking at real estate in Melbourne. We're looking for at least 2,500 square feet (preferably 3,000) and we want to be as close to the beach as possible. We like new construction and have been looking at the Merecedes builder. Does anyone have experience with them? Or experience living near the beach between 192 and 518? Prices seem fairly reasonable considering the proximity to the beach. Almost too good. Anything I'm missing as to why prices aren't higher? Are the schools decent? How bad is home insurance? Property taxes? Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 06:39 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
I had a Mercedes built home back in 1990 in Palm Bay. At the time they were one of the largest builders in Florida and did a decent job considering my lack of experience back then. After the crash in 2008, they folded, firing most of their employees and selling off their huge office building. My understanding is that they reorganized, changed their name slightly and are back in business. I can't say much more than that. Look up their history on line and try to find chat rooms that recent customers comment on. All builders will have their issues with new construction. Its how an issue is resolved post sale and build, that really differentiate a good from bad one.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:05 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Mercedes I've heard is OK. Stay away from Maronda.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Mercedes I've heard is OK. Stay away from Maronda.
Mercedes is the company that had water infiltration through the walls during the hurricanes of 2004.

Homes that did not lose windows or roofs had water coming through and ended up with mold problems.

Hopefully they have corrected all the problems and have a better response to correcting problems in their homes than they did back then.

I live in a 1984 Maronda home-concrete block. Not fancy but sturdy. Why do you feel people should stay away from Maronda?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:05 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Mercedes is the company that had water infiltration through the walls during the hurricanes of 2004.

Homes that did not lose windows or roofs had water coming through and ended up with mold problems.

Hopefully they have corrected all the problems and have a better response to correcting problems in their homes than they did back then.

I live in a 1984 Maronda home-concrete block. Not fancy but sturdy. Why do you feel people should stay away from Maronda?
You're thinking of maronda I think. Google it

Old 07-10-2014, 11:27 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
You're thinking of maronda I think. Google it
Maybe they did too; but Mercedes took a beating on the news and in the papers after the hurricanes-especially in the center of the state where homes didn't lose windows and roofs in the wind.
There is a video on U-tube right now from 2010 showing mold inside Mercedes home walls because of infiltration still in 2010.

Of course each area has different building crews working on their homes so they may have better records in some areas and both companies have homes that have had no complaints at all. Both build affordable homes so that means cutting costs to match the price people want to pay.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:15 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
A lot of corners were cut by most builders in the early to mid 2000's due to the extreme boom and low supply of decent building material. That is when Chinese sheet rock came into play with all of it's issues. No one, even the better builders knew what they were getting at the time. Compound that with accelerated building times and I would agree, corners were cut. Back then, you bought a house to flip and make $20,000-$30,000 or more in a matter of months as soon as the it was built. Very minimal inspections and far fewer regulations spelled disaster for many unlucky home owners at that time.
I know when my house was built in 1990, it was a block home and had very few issues at the punch list. It withstood the hurricanes with the exception of the roof, which most houses in Palm Bay were damaged. So I couldn't complain. In any case, the old Mercedes was completely reorganized and I can't say with certainty who actually remained from the old company. Today, it is much harder for builders to get away with cutting drastic corners. There are inspections throughout the build process and minimum storm standards that must be met (gives a lot of money to the local government as well). You likely would be fine, but do research them on line and see if there are recent (since 2011) complaints with their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
View detailed profiles of: