Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 08:32 PM

339 posts, read 1,162,455 times

Advertisements

I just read a Florida today article about discipline at Cocoa High. The article talked about students getting sent to in school suspension for offenses like hugging and being tardy. As the parent of the student who missed class because she hugged her boyfriend – I wonder why the paper missed the school’s violence, drug issues, and consistent D ratings.

I am constantly shocked at low quality of instructions my daughters receive. My oldest daughter graduated with solid grades without cracking a book but is struggling in college because the As she got in high school English only meant that she showed up for class and turned in some extra credit. Am I the only parent that returns my student’s “A” papers to school wondering why my student didn’t get a lower grade?

On of my girls is taking Anatomy and Physiology, yet after a semester her teacher still hasn’t taught more than basic biology. I remember more from the A&P class I took 25 years ago than my daughter has learned this year.

I want to encourage parents to find out if their kids schools are meeting the curriculum requirements and to push back when they are not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,776 times
Default r u serious?

as someone who actually went to cocoa high, and didnt hear about it from their daughter, you do not get in trouble for hugging your boyfriend/girlfriend. now there was probabily more than hugging going on that your daughter failed to mention. and for being tardy, yes u should be sent to In School Suspension because by you coming in late to class you're not only waisting your time but your peers because you become a distraction to the rest of the class. It is not hard to get to class on time. if u wanna talk to people then learn to walk and talk at the same time, or wait to see your boo until lunch or after school.

if your child is getting straight A's without trying then they need to quit taking the basic classes, try honors or AP. and if that is still easy then do like many cocoa students are doing, Collegiate High School (Duel Enrollment). Which by the way Cocoa High has more students graduating with their AA degree than any other high school in the county.

And yes there are dicipline problems at Cocoa, but have u been to anyother high school in the county??? u think there isnt drugs and violence at Rockledge? Merritt Island? Cocoa Beach? (i could go on). The year before I got to cocoa they had those 2 weeks or so of bomb threats. You know how many there were my entire career at Cocoa? 1 that lasted all of 5 minutes my senior year. go see how many other schools in the county had in one year let alone 4. My guess is that you'll be lucky to find a school that had only 1 per year.

I do agree though that parents need to make sure their children are being taught the corriculum. and that they should be a squeeky wheel to both the school and the county.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,738 times
Unhappy Not a very good defense

If you are going to challenge the parent's descriptions of Cocoa High's academic program, please check your spelling. I now believe what the parent wrote was true thanks to your obvious lack of education. You even got curriculum wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County