Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 AM

3,972 posts, read 8,103,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crue cab View Post
Low crime? Hahaha
Actually it does for a city the size of PB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 09:51 AM

329 posts, read 385,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Actually it does for a city the size of PB.
Geographically its huge, but not population. Just look at "the compound" or what we used to call GDC.
Massive land area, no people.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Bass Pro is not exactly "Palm Bay" Its on Palm Bay Rd at the very north end of the City, almost West Melbourne. Same with the movie theater. All off I95 and easily gotten to from other parts of the area without having to ride through the slums.

Are you referring to the slums of Melbourne? PB actually does not have any. Yes we have working class neighborhoods, but so does Melbourne(lots of them) PB is not really a segregated city and our neighbors can be of any race, religion, nationality and we mostly get along and help each other out. We are family oriented. We watch out for our own kids and yours.

Yep, there are some drugs but even the little town of 5,000 I grew up in Illinois in the middle of a corn field has a bigger problem and bigger crime rate with a lot of unsolved crimes per number of people in the town to number of crimes.

Curious to know what streets you consider the slums to be in PB. BTW.....the original North end of the city is the original Palm Bay so Bass is in PB.
Lets talk south end of Melbourne or the areas of Melbourne close to US 1 before you get to Sun Tree area. Some of those areas are not as nice; but even those are nothing like the slums in cities of the NE or Midwest. In one town where I lived there was a stop sign that said: " For your safety do not stop after dark".
Sometimes I would rather deal with that man who comes into the store covered in cement dust in old work clothes because I know they are good working people than snobs who think they are too good for an area and treat everyone else as 2nd class citizens.

If you don't do drugs, buy or sell drugs, steal someone's wife or girlfriend, boyfriend or husband, aren't a thief(including thieves who walk out of stores without paying for merchandise), or have family members who are violent and don't like you, Palm Bay is a great place to live.

If you do see something suspicious, just call the cops and they are usually there in a short time. We called for a well check on a young neighbor who we hadn't seen for a few days after we saw a screen lying on the ground just a couple weeks ago and they were here in just a couple minutes.

We do have city codes and they are enforced. For example you have to have a garage on any new build, some areas you can't paint your house weird colors, can't park cars or trucks in your front yard, etc. etc. Some areas do have HOAs.
Just look at our Walmart! It is one of a kind. They had to build a front porch because that was a code at the time they wanted to build.

Last edited by Rabflmom; 08-18-2014 at 10:20 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Are you referring to the slums of Melbourne? PB actually does not have any. Yes we have working class neighborhoods, but so does Melbourne(lots of them) PB is not really a segregated city and our neighbors can be of any race, religion, nationality and we mostly get along and help each other out. We are family oriented. We watch out for our own kids and yours.

Yep, there are some drugs but even the little town of 5,000 I grew up in Illinois in the middle of a corn field has a bigger problem and bigger crime rate with a lot of unsolved crimes per number of people in the town to number of crimes.

Curious to know what streets you consider the slums to be in PB. BTW.....the original North end of the city is the original Palm Bay so Bass is in PB.
Lets talk south end of Melbourne or the areas of Melbourne close to US 1 before you get to Sun Tree area. Some of those areas are not as nice; but even those are nothing like the slums in cities of the NE or Midwest. In one town where I lived there was a stop sign that said: " For your safety do not stop after dark".
Sometimes I would rather deal with that man who comes into the store covered in cement dust in old work clothes because I know they are good working people than snobs who think they are too good for an area and treat everyone else as 2nd class citizens.

If you don't do drugs, buy or sell drugs, steal someone's wife or girlfriend, boyfriend or husband, aren't a thief(including thieves who walk out of stores without paying for merchandise), or have family members who are violent and don't like you, Palm Bay is a great place to live.

If you do see something suspicious, just call the cops and they are usually there in a short time. We called for a well check on a young neighbor who we hadn't seen for a few days after we saw a screen lying on the ground just a couple weeks ago and they were here in just a couple minutes.

We do have city codes and they are enforced. For example you have to have a garage on any new build, some areas you can't paint your house weird colors, can't park cars or trucks in your front yard, etc. etc. Some areas do have HOAs.
Just look at our Walmart! It is one of a kind. They had to build a front porch because that was a code at the time they wanted to build.
Palm Bay is a slum. Has been for decades. Only getting worse. Yea, I have lived in three different areas of Palm Bay. All the same. Kayford St, Douglass St, and Christmas Av.
Moving out of Palm Bay was the best thing I ever did. Moving there in 1993 was the worst.
The cops? Pffffft, I had two living on my street when our window was kicked in and a scummer went after my wife. Oh, real nice neighborhood, new Mercedes home back before they built cookie cutter junk to sell to the south Florida transplants. Car stolen right out of the drive way, oh the cops came. Acted very much like it was no big deal. "Happens all the time out here" was his exact statement. PB police no longer come for "suspicious activity" or break ins of any kind unless the perp is still there. That is a fact.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Geographically its huge, but not population. Just look at "the compound" or what we used to call GDC.
Massive land area, no people.
There are over 100,000 people in Palm Bay in comparison to the next largest(Melbourne) which may now have about 85,000. All the beach towns are less than 11,000. South Palm Bay is growing with new developments building even before the economy started to recover.

Actually crime rate in PB has gone down since you left. It has been going down since 2005 and is lower than the Florida crime rate and about the same as National average. This site does not include the 2013 crime rate but I remember reading an article that it was down again last year.

Palm Bay, FL Crime and Crime Rate

Interesting fact for 2012 they gave PB a crime rate of 132 and Melbourne has a crime rate of 235. I guess we better avoid Sun Tree, Viera, etc because they are unsafe. And little Indialantic with just over 2000 has a 102 which does not sound real good for a little bitty town. And Cocoa Beach has a whopping 266!
PB doesn't look too bad now. I also read an article before that said that the PB Police department have a really good record of catching those who do crimes in the city compared to a lot of the smaller towns in the county.

I'll take my chances in PB. Been here for 38 years. Only time our car was broken into it was in Melbourne Beach which has the best crime rate in the county-14. House never been broken into-even when I failed to close and lock the front door one time in our haste to not be late for school one morning. Never been assaulted etc. Have lived in 4 different neighborhoods-had friendly neighbors in all. Older neighbors in 2 areas basically adopted us into their family and now we are the older people who basically have adopted the neighbor kids into ours.

My kids got great educations. Went to Stone and Palm Bay high. One majored in business, the other majored in computer engineering and minored in math(even As all through 5 years of college) and creative writing. Both are doing well in their 30s.

Only drawback for PB is we don't have a causeway to get to the beach quicker. When we moved in 2010 we considered beach side, but couldn't beat our larger yard with empty lot next to and behind our house! We love it here.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
There are over 100,000 people in Palm Bay in comparison to the next largest(Melbourne) which may now have about 85,000. All the beach towns are less than 11,000. South Palm Bay is growing with new developments building even before the economy started to recover.

Actually crime rate in PB has gone down since you left. It has been going down since 2005 and is lower than the Florida crime rate and about the same as National average. This site does not include the 2013 crime rate but I remember reading an article that it was down again last year.

Palm Bay, FL Crime and Crime Rate

Interesting fact for 2012 they gave PB a crime rate of 132 and Melbourne has a crime rate of 235. I guess we better avoid Sun Tree, Viera, etc because they are unsafe. And little Indialantic with just over 2000 has a 102 which does not sound real good for a little bitty town. And Cocoa Beach has a whopping 266!
PB doesn't look too bad now. I also read an article before that said that the PB Police department have a really good record of catching those who do crimes in the city compared to a lot of the smaller towns in the county.

I'll take my chances in PB. Been here for 38 years. Only time our car was broken into it was in Melbourne Beach which has the best crime rate in the county-14. House never been broken into-even when I failed to close and lock the front door one time in our haste to not be late for school one morning. Never been assaulted etc. Have lived in 4 different neighborhoods-had friendly neighbors in all. Older neighbors in 2 areas basically adopted us into their family and now we are the older people who basically have adopted the neighbor kids into ours.

My kids got great educations. Went to Stone and Palm Bay high. One majored in business, the other majored in computer engineering and minored in math(even As all through 5 years of college) and creative writing. Both are doing well in their 30s.

Only drawback for PB is we don't have a causeway to get to the beach quicker. When we moved in 2010 we considered beach side, but couldn't beat our larger yard with empty lot next to and behind our house! We love it here.
Good for you. You are in the extreme minority. And to be honest, you couldn't pay me to allow my children to go to Stone or Palm Bay high.
Either you are very lucky, or just turn a blind eye.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Good for you. You are in the extreme minority. And to be honest, you couldn't pay me to allow my children to go to Stone or Palm Bay high.
Either you are very lucky, or just turn a blind eye.
See that is the attitude that I hate. Too good for a good school because it isn't beach side. Actually I am in education and was a teacher up North. I subbed down here after the kids were born. I worked and volunteered at both schools and saw the great job the teachers were doing with my sons classes so no blind eye here. I was hesitant at first when I realized our kids would go to Stone, but in no time I realized what a great school it actually was. Parents still tell me how good it is now. It is a magnet school this year! Last years grade was lower than usual but it will be back up. People have to get rid of the attitudes. It is the same school district as every other public school in Brevard. The kids get the same classes. The teachers mainly have BS or MA in Education just like every other school. One advantage Stone has right now it is a small school so the teacher/ratio to kids is better than at any other junior high.
Palm Bay High is also a good school. Actually it is the only S.T.E.A.M and Magnet high School in the county.
Steam stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. They are an A School!

I don't think I am in the minority here. Some people aren't happy anywhere. There are over 103,000 of us living here so it can't be all bad. It is people from other places who tend to cut down Palm Bay and the Melbourne schools some of our kids go to. Usually it is because teens that are bored because it isn't a clubbing city but a lot come back her to raise their kids. It is a great place to raise a family and have time to spend with your kids instead of living in a dog eat dog place like NYC etc. where dads are gone from 6AM to 8PM because of their commutes to work. If you get involved there is definitely never a lack of things to do and we do know how to drive to other parts of the state if we want something else to do.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Palm Bay is a slum. Has been for decades. Only getting worse. Yea, I have lived in three different areas of Palm Bay. All the same. Kayford St, Douglass St, and Christmas Av.
Moving out of Palm Bay was the best thing I ever did. Moving there in 1993 was the worst.
The cops? Pffffft, I had two living on my street when our window was kicked in and a scummer went after my wife. Oh, real nice neighborhood, new Mercedes home back before they built cookie cutter junk to sell to the south Florida transplants. Car stolen right out of the drive way, oh the cops came. Acted very much like it was no big deal. "Happens all the time out here" was his exact statement. PB police no longer come for "suspicious activity" or break ins of any kind unless the perp is still there. That is a fact.
Well, thank you. I guess we all love living in our slum of Bayside or Turkey Creek or Deer Run or a thousand other areas in the city. Crime has gone down since the 90s every year and you don't know beans about what the cops answer down here. We had them out to our neighbors house 2 weeks ago just because there was a screen out of a back room of their house. They were here in 10 minutes just to do a well check on her. We also called them at our other house when a car stopped out in front late at night and they were there in no time. It was teens from beach side sitting in their car smoking pot.

Won't argue with you about what a great place it is to live because we will never agree; but I also won't throw barbs at where you live. Just because 20 years ago you had hard times here it does not mean the city is the same and that everyone will have your problems. We sure never did but we always were friendly and neighbors would watch out and protect us when my husband was out of town working.
though we never needed to be protected. <g> Shoot we have about 25 more schools here than back then and a whole different group of people'. I don't think there are as many of the punks who came down from the North and tried tagging the city and showing how tough they were all the time like there was back then. Personally, I have no complaints with the cops. They have always answered every call we ever made-even trivial. We have the system that if something is going on in your neighborhood they call. And if anybody is drowning or a search needs to be done in a pond, it will be our dive team that is called in.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:22 PM

683 posts, read 846,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Palm Bay has a growing hispanic population though.

Also a lot of development, new 12-plex movie theater with IMAX, outdoor mall on Palm Bay Rd, Bass Pro shops etc
Never will be like Miami. Plus the Hispanics in Palm Bay pretty much all of them speak English. It's definitely a growing town.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
See that is the attitude that I hate. Too good for a good school because it isn't beach side. Actually I am in education and was a teacher up North. I subbed down here after the kids were born. I worked and volunteered at both schools and saw the great job the teachers were doing with my sons classes so no blind eye here. I was hesitant at first when I realized our kids would go to Stone, but in no time I realized what a great school it actually was. Parents still tell me how good it is now. It is a magnet school this year! Last years grade was lower than usual but it will be back up. People have to get rid of the attitudes. It is the same school district as every other public school in Brevard. The kids get the same classes. The teachers mainly have BS or MA in Education just like every other school. One advantage Stone has right now it is a small school so the teacher/ratio to kids is better than at any other junior high.
Palm Bay High is also a good school. Actually it is the only S.T.E.A.M and Magnet high School in the county.
Steam stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. They are an A School!

I don't think I am in the minority here. Some people aren't happy anywhere. There are over 103,000 of us living here so it can't be all bad. It is people from other places who tend to cut down Palm Bay and the Melbourne schools some of our kids go to. Usually it is because teens that are bored because it isn't a clubbing city but a lot come back her to raise their kids. It is a great place to raise a family and have time to spend with your kids instead of living in a dog eat dog place like NYC etc. where dads are gone from 6AM to 8PM because of their commutes to work. If you get involved there is definitely never a lack of things to do and we do know how to drive to other parts of the state if we want something else to do.
You can hate my attitude all you want. Its based on the fact I lived in Palm Bay for 14 years. All other of the 45 years I have been here I have lived else where. And never had incidents in those locales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County