Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 06:27 AM

3 posts, read 11,210 times

Advertisements

My wife's family is in Suntree/Melbourne, and we are considering a move there from LI. Considering a couple of areas, both "beachside" (Merritt, Satellite Beach, Indian Harbor, Melbourne Beach) and on the mainland (Viera, Suntree). I am getting a decent feel for the important things (schools, taxes, neighborhood character, lot size, etc.) from this and other site, but nothing on something near and dear to me - boating.

In an ideal world I'd be on a canal, with both ocean and river access, close to cool, family friendly boating destinations, etc., but life isn't ideal and cost, flooding, and other factors will have to play into it. At this point I think I'd be very happy with a house out of a flood zone and a little further inland that's still very convenient (5-10 minutes) to my boat, with my boat relatively close to both ocean and river access. Perhaps a development with deeded slip rights?

Anyway, calling on the boaters on the list to give me some advice - where are the boating "destinations" within the brevard county area that I want to be near, how easy is ocean access through Pt. Canaveral, are there any particularly boat-friendly developments or areas that I should pay attention to next time I am there (2 weeks)? Keep in mind I have a small "trawler" - a 10 knot boat - so not exactly buzzing anywhere "quickly". (In a super ideal world, the wife would let me get a 20' CC to go with that trawler, but that's another post).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 07:32 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times
Since you probably won't be trailering a trawler and if the ocean is your usual destination, you'll probably enjoy it much more if you keep it at a marina at Port Canaveral. That way you won't have to endure the wait at the locks to get to the ocean from the Banana River and vice versa on the return. Not to mention, when the locks are closed for repairs or whatever, you won't be able to get to the ocean at all unless you're willing to run all the way to Sebastian Inlet. Another thing to remember, a canal or dock off the Banana River is much closer to the ocean than one off the Indian River. Those guys on the Indian River have to travel the length of the barge canal at no-wake speed and then do the locks on their way to the ocean and the reverse to get home. Makes for a really long day. All that said, our rivers are great for boating. Lots to see and many cool places to stop and enjoy.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:02 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,299 times
If you are good spending time in the Rivers, then any canal front in Merritt Island would be good for you. You can literally step out from your backyard and be on your way. But if ocean access is your destination, then definetly something on the east side of Banana River Dr. would be a good bet (closer to the Pt. Prices are starting to rise on these desirable "boat friendly" properties. Expect a fixer upper in the mid $200's and a nicer one in the $300's and up. No flood insurance needed on these lots.
If ocean only access is needed, then getting the boat into a marina by Pt. Canaveral (as mentioned above) might be your best bet. Figure $2,000 - $4,000 a year for this depending on marina and size of boat.
I hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:47 AM

This is a big help, guys, many thanks. I am first and foremost a "family" boater and I can see us spending the majority of time in the rivers, with the periodic fishing trip to the inlet and beyond. Sounds like Merritt gives me best access to both. Boat is a 34' Mainship, so not trailering anywhere. Rates of about $100 per foot for dockage seems to be norm on south shore of LI (double that for a slip on the north shore - crazy), sounds like similar rates in Brevard. Thanks again.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:45 PM

The rate for a wet slip at the Ocean Club in Port Canaveral are $12 per foot per month, so you boat would run $4896 a year assuming you go for 12 months. Not great, but in NY you only get about four months of usage. My friend was pricing this out a few months ago when he was thinking of buying in the area. The marina prices he felt were high in Brevard County and he uses a mooring out of Glen Cove in Long Island. But it is all relative to what your need are. Figure you can save $100,000 or on a non canal front property, but that is still a lot cheaper by the month financed than using the marina.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:45 PM

I never thought of it that way - and really, I should have. I have a mooring Northport harbor, NY. Sure, the mooring itself only costs me $500-600 per year, but if I want to stay dry getting to it it will cost me money. Dinghy dockage is slim - lottery basis through the town. That's cheap enough, but the hassle of dinking over to your boat shouldn't be underestimated - most people don't want to leave their engine on the town dock, so that's a hassle, plus getting there with any kind of gear, or passengers, etc. And your boat is floating in the middle of a harbor - not easy to keep it clean. Most folks pay for launch service through one of the local services or yacht club. I opted for the latter - best deal in town, but after initial membership payment it is $3500 per year, plus mostly minimum (one dinner a month at a good restaurant - easy to do) and inevitable assessments of $50 per month or so. For that, though, you get a nice club, pool, launch service, and a home dock that you can use for routine maintenance, etc. Still, a slip is 10x more convenient. Problem is that on the north shore of LI a slip is about $6400 per year for a 34' boat - I priced it last season. South shore marinas in Suffolk go for $100 per foot, I hear - manageable, but not cheap.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:34 PM

Yes having a boat is not cheap, especially in NY.
I think you should definitely check out Merritt Island and see what you can get. There are still a few "good" values out there, especially if you are OK doing some modernizing at your own pace. Driving around with a good realtor (DM me if you need a good one) can help you get your bearings, then drive around on your own and revisit the ones you like and to get a better "feel" of the area. There are so many different neighborhoods with different features (such as proximity to the rivers, the Port and shopping) that it is best seen in person. As per-visit research, use sites like Zillow to view the maps and what is available. Once you get there, you will be much better prepared and it will all make sense.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:55 AM

167 posts, read 409,440 times
So what are some of your favorite day trip river boating excursions you all may do? We are on the verge of purchasing a deck boat. I will primarily use it to get a $100 hamburger by pulling up to and docking at Pineda Bar N Grill etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County