Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 12:28 AM

13 posts, read 18,524 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Florida next year we are looking into Melbourne, Viera, Rockledge. We have family in Viera, FL I love how slow life seems there, no traffic, no helicopters flashing the lights in your backyard. I'm concern if my teenage son he's 15 will be able to adjust. He has friends there but not anyone that he can go to the same school with. I feel Living in Los Angeles is dangerous and also the cost of living will be cheaper.

Any tips? have you moved with teens??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 05:55 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,662,924 times
Do expect a much slower pace than LA. For a teen, there are things to do, but less than what a big city can offer. I think it's the friends part that is the hardest to adjust to. A teen usually relies on their close friends to get them through what are considered the toughest times of their lives, in between an adult and a kid. That's a discussion you need to have very openly with your son. What would his life be like without his close friends support system intact? I agree that the environment will be better most likely in Florida, but you may want to wait until your son is out of High School. Just my opinion from someone with an 18 year old at home now.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:20 AM

130 posts, read 211,274 times
I too am looking at moving and have a 15 year old. I am looking to move some place warm and LA area was one choice (Simi valley or mureitta area) or Florida. As long as it is warm! Since you live in the LA area...would you not recommend it to raise a teen? We're you specifically in LA?
I don't completely agree about waiting til the teen is older....as long as the teen is ok with moving.

Last edited by saranshay; 01-13-2015 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 03:42 PM

8 posts, read 12,024 times
I think kids can make friends wherever they are. Just be encouraging to him. Plenty to do in FL so it shouldn't be hard to meet people.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:17 PM

I live in Pasadena. I don't want to discourage you from moving here, LA has something for everyone, city, subborbs, ocean, mountain, snow. I personally don't like the city life and traffic. Murrieta is very nice and just a few miles from San Diego another beautiful city.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:57 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,770,679 times
IMHO if you were to move that would be age to do because any later it would be really difficult for them to move right before graduation.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:48 AM

130 posts, read 211,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karinav3 View Post
I live in Pasadena. I don't want to discourage you from moving here, LA has something for everyone, city, subborbs, ocean, mountain, snow. I personally don't like the city life and traffic. Murrieta is very nice and just a few miles from San Diego another beautiful city.
Don't worry about discouraging me. If it isn't a good place then it isnt.
I would much rather know people's experience then move to a bad place for my kids.
I wish you luck on finding a good place!

Old 01-16-2015, 06:50 PM

I personally wouldn't live in the LA area to make it easier around USC or west/south of Downtown Los Angeles it's congested with traffic and dirty, dangerous lots of gangs. West LA is nice lots of traffic (well their is traffic everywhere lol) but expensive. I would stick to Murrieta or San Diego.. Good luck to you too! ��

Old 01-16-2015, 06:52 PM

My husband grew up in Viera/Melbourne and moved to California so my son made friends with his friends kids and 2 of them go to Palm Bay High. Is this a good school?

Old 01-17-2015, 07:15 AM

3,972 posts, read 8,102,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karinav3 View Post
My husband grew up in Viera/Melbourne and moved to California so my son made friends with his friends kids and 2 of them go to Palm Bay High. Is this a good school?
Browser Not Supported

Palm Bay High is in Melbourne and is the only magnet STEAM school in the county. S.T.E.A.M. stands for science, technology, engineering, arts, and math. You can live anywhere in the county and apply to attend Palm Bay High. There is an open house next week Browser Not Supported

It is now actually one of the smaller high schools in the county around 1500 kids maybe instead of one of the larger ones like Viera and Melbourne which have around 2000 students. The school is located in the southern lower income area of Melbourne but is a safe school to attend. Looking at statistics it seems to have gone down somewhat scholastically since my sons were there, but is in a building state as a magnet school.

My sons went there and got really great educations. Like any high school if your child is college bound and you stay active in the school and activities offered, he /she can succeeed and get into any college in the country and do well. Most kids will take advantage of the state scholarships and stay in the state but my son had friends that got into Harvard, Yale, and were appointed into the Air Force Academy and West Point.

Last edited by Rabflmom; 01-17-2015 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: link that says browser not supported takes you to PBHS site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County