Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 03:30 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times

Advertisements

Establish a relationship with the brokerage that lists most of the rentals in that area and tell them that you want first notice of anything new that hits your sweet spot. Let them know you're serious and be nice. Waiting until it's listed in this market isn't going to get you a good rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 05:40 PM

315 posts, read 767,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Establish a relationship with the brokerage that lists most of the rentals in that area and tell them that you want first notice of anything new that hits your sweet spot. Let them know you're serious and be nice. Waiting until it's listed in this market isn't going to get you a good rental.
I have absolutely no idea who that would be. Renting is a fairly new thing for us. The last house we renting wasn't in high demand at the time.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:46 AM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
I have definitely noticed how hard it is. I've been weighing the option of transferring with my company to a new location opening in Melbourne (actually Viera, but it all seems to overlap), but after over a month of watching listings for one-bedroom apartments, even two-bedroom places, I'm beginning to wonder if the transfer is a good idea. When there ARE actually places available, they're twenty minutes or more from the work site, and two to three hundred dollars more per month than what I currently pay in Stuart. I don't want to drive half an hour or more to work and back, but if I did have to settle for that, I'd at least want the trade-off to be a cheaper place....but even that's not really happening.

I've found a lot of apartment complexes list one-bedrooms as "available" but are actually trying to push me into a two-bedroom that's even more than I am willing to pay (and more than I need). And yes, if you start following Craigslist as I did, you'll notice a lot of scams on there. They're trying to collect personal information, and usually have an att.com address as the only 'contact'. The funniest part is when they use the same photos for multiple "different" places.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:05 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
In the market we are now in, scammers are all over. Feel free to DM me for a good rental realtor.
When the market started to heat up again over the last couple of years, investors found it more lucrative to flip vs. rent. Insurance rates and taxes have also risen and that strains the rental market, driving rents up and inventory down, especially if able to cash out with a profitable sale vs. holding and renting. I am making less profit now holding my properties than I did two years ago. I figure another year or two and I will be a seller as well. Nature of the market ups and downs.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 5,129 times
If your only reason for wanting to stay in that specific area is Viera High, Melbourne High School is a good school as well, and I believe would be pretty similar to Viera High. The Viera area is more pricey, and West Melbourne would give you a very similar experience for less cost. West Melbourne has many subdivisions with families. It is a very popular area for people with kids that want their children in good schools.
It seems like there may be a few results on zillow that would match your search. You can always use this website to double check which school an address is zoned for:
Edulog's Web Query

Old 06-18-2015, 10:55 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barli View Post
I don't know anything about West Melbourne. I have 2 in High School and am shooting for Viera HS.

Why Viera? It is really pretty overcrowded. You can get the same classes with better teacher/student ratio at any of the other high schools. The population of the students may be more diverse than Viera, but when they go to college or have a career they will be working in a similar atmosphere. Mel High is a very good school. So is Cocoa High and Satellite Beach. West Shore and Heritage are good also. Palm Bay High is a good school, too. I know you have heard bad things, but check out what it offers as a magnet school. My kids and their friends all did well there and are engineers etc because of the good start they got there. In all the schools the college prep kids will be in classes that are other college prep kids and won't see the general math and science students except for a few activities and classes. Even high schools need parents to take part in planning and volunteering so just stay involved with the school and your kids will do good at any of the high schools.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:25 PM

I'm still looking. I've expanded my looking to West Melbourne for a few weeks now. Still no luck. It seems like owners would rather rent to someone already there vs. someone who isn't yet. I have a question about Palm Bay HS though... How does a magnet school work there? In my experience in the past, you had to apply and get into a magnet school. If that is the case there too, where do the kids go that are in that zone, but not eligible for the magnet program?

Old 06-18-2015, 11:31 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Why Viera? It is really pretty overcrowded. You can get the same classes with better teacher/student ratio at any of the other high schools. The population of the students may be more diverse than Viera, but when they go to college or have a career they will be working in a similar atmosphere. Mel High is a very good school. So is Cocoa High and Satellite Beach. West Shore and Heritage are good also. Palm Bay High is a good school, too. I know you have heard bad things, but check out what it offers as a magnet school. My kids and their friends all did well there and are engineers etc because of the good start they got there. In all the schools the college prep kids will be in classes that are other college prep kids and won't see the general math and science students except for a few activities and classes. Even high schools need parents to take part in planning and volunteering so just stay involved with the school and your kids will do good at any of the high schools.
West Shore and Edgewood are amazing. I would not say they are good and then say Palm Bay is good. Mel High is good. Palm may is meh.

Again, my opinion.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
West Shore and Edgewood are amazing. I would not say they are good and then say Palm Bay is good. Mel High is good. Palm may is meh.

Again, my opinion.
When I search brevardmls by school, neither of them are an option. I've tried for middle and high. Any idea why that would be?

Last edited by Barli; 06-19-2015 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: Auto correct fail :)

Old 06-19-2015, 04:42 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
OOPS meant Cocoa Beach High instead of Cocoa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County