U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 05:42 AM

26 posts, read 28,306 times

Advertisements

In Escrow and finally closing on a home in Titusville. Moving from Maui with 2 teenage boys (19 & 17) that are ready to expand their wings as Maui was too small for them or no variety of girls. Wasn't expecting the cost of homeowners insurance to be so high but anyway - I love planting fruit trees, we currently have papaya, longan, cherimoya and a couple of exotic fruits. How do these fair in Titusville? Can I grow Avocado's ? Does anyone know of a garden center that carry exotic fruit trees?

What places for teenagers to hang out in Titusville or do they need to drive to Orlando or a major city? They usually hang out at malls, or movie theaters for what we have in Maui (limited).

Mahalo -
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 01:42 PM

3,541 posts, read 6,155,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWaiian View Post
In Escrow and finally closing on a home in Titusville. Moving from Maui with 2 teenage boys (19 & 17) that are ready to expand their wings as Maui was too small for them or no variety of girls. Wasn't expecting the cost of homeowners insurance to be so high but anyway - I love planting fruit trees, we currently have papaya, longan, cherimoya and a couple of exotic fruits. How do these fair in Titusville? Can I grow Avocado's ? Does anyone know of a garden center that carry exotic fruit trees?

What places for teenagers to hang out in Titusville or do they need to drive to Orlando or a major city? They usually hang out at malls, or movie theaters for what we have in Maui (limited).

Mahalo -
Joe
Hope all goes well with the move. Titusvile is just a litle town so the boys might be bored sometimes. there are 2 highschools in town so shoul be able to meet some girls. Because of the space center location the only beach is the National seashore which is cool, but not really a hang out place so they probably will want to come down to Cocoa Beach for the beach and mall. You will be close to Orlando-especially for UCF classes , games, etc. if they go on to school. You will also be close enough to Daytona Beach and Melbourne for some other things to do.

As for the fruit trees, we do have orange, tangerine, grapefruit trees,some papaya,banana trees, etc, but it does get cold here sometimes during the winter. You have to work hard to keep them from being damaged by freezes we sometimes get.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:37 PM

782 posts, read 765,748 times
Not my favorite place due to the not so good local economy. I think with your two teenage boys, you would be better off in Merritt Island which puts you closer to Cocoa Beach, Cocoa Village and more things to do in my opinion. It may cost a little more, but you will likely do better in the long run with quality of life.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:46 PM

9 posts, read 17,274 times
Since you are already in escrow I say "Welcome to Titusville!" We moved here over 2 years ago and immediately planted some orange trees as well as a peach, lemon and avocado. This year we have been enjoying the "fruits" of our labor. You need to take care of them to avoid bugs and other nastys but with regular fertilization you will do well. I do not have any school age kids so I cannot comment on that. I will say that the negative poster above hates this town but everyone is entitled to their opinion. It is certainly not Maui, but nowhere in Florida is. Come with an open mind and enjoy everything this area has to offer!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:24 PM

83 posts, read 144,007 times
Welcome to rocket town, nice place for most of us. Just want to warn you about the water dept., high bills and rude service, because they can.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:48 AM

9 posts, read 17,274 times
My water bill is about $65 per month. 3 bed 2 bath 4 people and a pool. I have never had to deal with customer service so I have no idea in that area.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:27 PM

111 posts, read 178,447 times
Personally I find Titusville to be a bit small and quiet, but Cocoa Beach and Merritt Island is just a few miles to the south and full of life. It's known as "Orlando's Beach". Brevard county is a pretty decent area. From rocket launches to the great beaches to the Indian river. There's always something to do outdoors in the area. I don't live in the area now, but I did grow up in the Daytona Beach area north of Brevard and I went to UCF in Orlando, so I've spent a lot of time in the area. My favorite restaurant in the area is Fish Lips in Port Canaveral. Use to go there to watch shuttle and rocket launches. And to watch cruise ships pass by.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:15 AM

26 posts, read 28,306 times
Thanks for the welcome.. funny you mentioned, spoke Ms Hick at the water company and I get what you mean.. wow. Aside from that, hoping Titusville is a cross from Maui and LA. I get the small town feel in Maui and my kids can drive to a major city for some action or an option to drive for that matter. I might have to check out Fish Lips, sounds Ono!

Old 08-16-2015, 08:07 PM

6 posts, read 6,995 times
Welcome....

Titusville has it's good and bad points. I'm born-n-bred Titusville. Been saying for years; I want to move, but..... It is 1 of those towns that draws you in after many years - people move, then usually end up back in Titusville.

I will agree with smallbloc in that our Water Works Dept. is the worst. Titusville actually has the highest water rates in Brevard County - fact. The city was fined years ago and dropped the fine onto the customers. Yep, the employee's are so rude it's almost funny, except for the fact their attitudes do nothing but affect our service. O.K., I'll stop now with Titusville's 'City'.

One of the top things I like about Titusville is that it's basically in the 'middle' of everything, i.e. shopping, dining - and for the boys (when they get older..; bars, clubbing, etc. We are in the middle of Daytona, Merritt Island, Orlando, Melbourne/Palm Bay areas, easy access to them all, yet we don't have the traffic that goes along with bigger cities. There are times we joke that Titusville rolls up the streets at night the place is so quiet.

You're sons will absolutely hate it at first. As they get older, they will appreciate the small things Titusville has to offer.

And not to be forgotten: Make sure you do visit Fish Lips - and while there visit "Grills". It too is a must.

If you have any questions, no problem!

Old 09-01-2015, 02:46 PM

8 posts, read 9,952 times
Default Homeowners Ins Joe

Hi Joe! Just how high is your homeowners insurance? Thinking of moving to the area too. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County