U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 AM

120 posts, read 155,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Do not do that instead you might end up killing a dog, a cat, the birds, other wild animals, fish in the canals, creeks , and rivers from storm water run off) etc.
Do not use moth balls either. Same result with that.

You will be fine. Snakes are not that common that you have to do anything to keep them out of your yard or your pool. Actually they are your friend and will eat bugs etc. that just might end up in your house. If you do happen to see a big rattle snake or alligator in your yard, just call the local police and they will respond and get someone there to move it.

OOps did not read where you were going to put it, so be careful if you put it inside so your animals or the grandkids etc. can.t get it. I still do not think it would be necessary unless you actually have seen rats and mice inside. The little anoles eat all kinds of bugs including roaches so I wouldn't want to see someone killing them either. We did not have a screen enclosure and never got a snake in our pool and we lived right by the river and literally had a jungle on 2 sides of our yard.
We have a fenced in backyard, and the side where I put the poison wouldn't of given access to any dogs/cats. It was a fenced in portion, only things I've seen have been rodents in the area that I put it, no danger do my dog. Although you are absolutely correct in being careful where you put those things. I've had no issues inside the house except with ants, which is an easy fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 06:56 AM

232 posts, read 299,963 times
This is an example of the "typical" snake we get in our backyard here in FL. Just click on the thumbnail pic to enlarge.

This little guy measured about 30" in length, and was seen last night around dinner time. Note the very small head.

No, the anole lizard didn't become the snake's dinner
Attached Thumbnails
Alligators and Snakes....-20150824_183333.jpg   Alligators and Snakes....-20150824_183348.jpg  

Old 08-25-2015, 08:46 AM

169 posts, read 389,802 times
Clnewman,
Thank you for the photos! This snake is very small! I can see why it would be afraid of something as big as I am! I wouldn't be fearful of this one but I wouldn't want it inside my house either. Given its size I would think it could slip into the tiniest of crannies...so that is something for me to think about...have caulk guns, will travel . But I can see where this snake doesn't pose a threat unless you are a bug or what ever they eat.

Florida is such a populous state and it is soooooo beautiful; I like to think that if millions of other people live there happily and safely that I can do so as well. I have to tell you, I've been perusing photos of Brevard county and they make me downright giddy with glee! It's such a breathtaking place; hubby and I are hoping to squeeze in a long weekend visit in mid September. His work travel schedule is heavy for Sept/Oct so we will need a shoehorn and some luck to pull it off but I'm excited!

Old 08-25-2015, 04:01 PM

3,552 posts, read 6,178,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imisscarlsbadcalifornia View Post
Clnewman,
Thank you for the photos! This snake is very small! I can see why it would be afraid of something as big as I am! I wouldn't be fearful of this one but I wouldn't want it inside my house either. Given its size I would think it could slip into the tiniest of crannies...so that is something for me to think about...have caulk guns, will travel . But I can see where this snake doesn't pose a threat unless you are a bug or what ever they eat.

Florida is such a populous state and it is soooooo beautiful; I like to think that if millions of other people live there happily and safely that I can do so as well. I have to tell you, I've been perusing photos of Brevard county and they make me downright giddy with glee! It's such a breathtaking place; hubby and I are hoping to squeeze in a long weekend visit in mid September. His work travel schedule is heavy for Sept/Oct so we will need a shoehorn and some luck to pull it off but I'm excited!
But there is one little snake that is venemous-usually less than 12 inches long-the pygmy rattler. What I always do when working in the garden I use a rake to rake under the leaves before I ever reach a hand in. My son and one of his friends picked up one once not realizing it was the pygmy rattler. It bit his friend right on the thumb nail which managed to keep the venom out.
Some times people actually buy plants in a store like Walmart or Target and find a snake in the pot when they get home and go to replant the plant.

You will do fine in Florida. I am a big chicken when it comes to snakes and spiders and I have been here 40 years. Way less snakes around now than the 70s.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:19 PM

Rabflmom, I tried to give you rep points on this post but I couldn't issue them again so soon so I'm going to give you a giant SHOUT OUT here! Thank you for the great info! Oh my gosh, a snake in a plant you buy in a nursery!!! I would never have thought of that! And a Pygmy Rattler! Oh boy! This is so helpful...picture me asking the folks at Lowes to remove the plants from the containers, break up the soil around their roots, and replant them with soil i buy from them in a bag! I'd totally pay for the service!!!!! We had gnats really bad from some plants we bought here and they were a bear to get rid of but a snake....it could get loose in the car on the way home!

I thank you many times over for the heads up! It may sound like you're feeding my phobia but really, this information helps me a LOT.

In my spare time I've been reading a lot of older threads on this forum; I'm so grateful for this resource and the people here because the contributions are truly meaningful to a newb like me and I'm sure many others like me.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:04 PM

249 posts, read 749,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC49 View Post
I have not seen any alligators accept at the Zoo. I do look for them in their natural habitat but they really do not want to interact with humans. Snakes: Three weeks ago I removed a black ring neck snake from my pool one morning. They are harmless and the little fellow could not get out of the pool after his swim. Last week I met up with a gray yellow bellied earth snake I think it was anyway. She took up residence in my wigeilia bushes. Other than that I rarely see either.
There were three in my yard last week. One was a Black Racer and very aggressive. We had a talk and she left but she stood up about a foot in the air and watched me for quite sometime. They are aggressive and will chase you if provoked. She made a good choice.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:47 PM

JMC49,
You make me glad I am decidedly indoorsy. I am only half teasing my husband when I say that anyplace I have to cross over grass will have to be via a sky bridge of sorts, with a roof over it and at least pet screen on the sides!

If I can keep all critters outside of our home, including the garage, I can make peace with that. Trust that I would never deliberately provoke any snake; I have zero interest in engagement of any kind.

Suddenly I am imagining long, mechanized arms that might resemble something you'd find in an agricultultural setting, constantly combing back and forth in a rhythmic motion across the grass....I wonder if that would discourage snakes?!? I've also been wondering if artificial turf would be a deterrent; they make really attractive kinds now and, they're eco-friendly and in the end, cost saving because there is no maintenance/mowing/weed abatement/watering/fertilizing. Though the upfront costs can be prohibitive.

Without going into specifics, I've had a number of things happen to me in my life where the odds were statistically so small that most people never give them a thought. If anyone is going to have an angry venomous snake in their yard, I fear, given the succession of other rarities that have befallen me, that I am that person. I hope it never happens, I'd like to believe it will never happen, I want to be wrong here...but I plan to take precautions because statistics have failed me too many times.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:39 AM

232 posts, read 299,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC49 View Post
There were three in my yard last week. One was a Black Racer and very aggressive. We had a talk and she left but she stood up about a foot in the air and watched me for quite sometime. They are aggressive and will chase you if provoked. She made a good choice.
Odd, I have never seen a racer act aggressively. That's not to say they won't... just that I've never seen it. I really enjoy watching them do their thing.

Imisscarlsbadcalifornia - here is a web site that has a lot of excellent information on snakes. It's worth a read. What I've learned in my short time here is simple: Watch where you walk outside. If you have a lawn, install pavers on your primary walking path(s), and use them. I seldom walk on my grass, and never barefoot. Not because of snakes, but because of ants.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:02 AM

3,552 posts, read 6,178,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
Odd, I have never seen a racer act aggressively. That's not to say they won't... just that I've never seen it. I really enjoy watching them do their thing.

Imisscarlsbadcalifornia - here is a web site that has a lot of excellent information on snakes. It's worth a read. What I've learned in my short time here is simple: Watch where you walk outside. If you have a lawn, install pavers on your primary walking path(s), and use them. I seldom walk on my grass, and never barefoot. Not because of snakes, but because of ants.

They will if you try to shoo them away from something. We had one once pretty much wrap itself inside one of the kids bikes that was lying on the ground. It did not like having to move. LOL

Old 08-28-2015, 08:35 PM

249 posts, read 749,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
They will if you try to shoo them away from something. We had one once pretty much wrap itself inside one of the kids bikes that was lying on the ground. It did not like having to move. LOL
I cut its bushes down. Trust me they are aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or