U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 12:38 AM

227 posts, read 642,207 times

Advertisements

We are relocating back to Florida and will be in Melbourne this time (we've lived many years in Miami and a couple years in St. Pete). My husband will be working in Melbourne by the airport for major aerospace company. We are looking to but have been struggling with the area to focus on. Beachside is pretty much out due to budget killed by price and high insurance. We homeschool so schools are not an issue. Looking to stay somewhere between 150ish to 185ish maybe with a pool and at least a decent size lot. Tree lined streets or at least green spaces, no flat streets with not a tree in sight. Quiet family friendly SAFE neighborhoods, parks, library, shopping, farmers markets, beaches not far away. Since we can't be on the beach we would still like to remember we are on the coast, after three years of living in the middle of the country. And my husband wants to still feel a more tropical coastal feeling not like we are living in the middle of the state.

I've read a Lot of,the posts and I've looked at hundreds of houses online and he's seen some beachside and will be looking at some in the three places we are considering. I was looking at Rockledge around Levitt Parkway, Merritt just above and a bit below the mid causeway, and in Se, nw and ne Palm Bay. We like 50's and 60's houses and it seems like Rockledge has a lot of that, but Palm Bay seems to get a bit more house for the same money.

I know I'm thinking out loud here a lot but maybe I could get some thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 12:13 PM

anyone?

Old 08-08-2015, 10:28 AM

8 posts, read 8,350 times
I don't know if this is true - had folks tell us beachside insurance (non-waterfront) isn't much higher than across the bridge. Real estate people will tell you all kinds of things, but if you have CBS construction, a roof with the recommended number of ties, and impact resistant (Dade County code) windows/shutters, doors, and garage door then the rate will be decent. Lots of the beachside homes have wooden additions/sections and insurance companies don't like that. We talked to insurance folks before real estate folks, and their advice was good - they told us the above, plus to verify the flood zone before even looking at a place, even inland. Just some unsolicited advice

Merritt Island - do you mean 520 or 528? Big difference! I like mid century ranch-style houses and so may look at the housing stock around here with a less critical eye than most but the congestion around 528 is pretty obnoxious even though you are minutes to beach, boating, shopping, and Cocoa Village.

Palm Bay...lots of people around here don't like it but I don't know enough to say. It is often unfavorably compared to Viera, which is unfair as they are not much alike aside from the new construction and chain stores. Palm Bay pretty big so there may be areas you like more than others.

Rockledge - don't know that area.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside View Post
I don't know if this is true - had folks tell us beachside insurance (non-waterfront) isn't much higher than across the bridge. Real estate people will tell you all kinds of things, but if you have CBS construction, a roof with the recommended number of ties, and impact resistant (Dade County code) windows/shutters, doors, and garage door then the rate will be decent. Lots of the beachside homes have wooden additions/sections and insurance companies don't like that. We talked to insurance folks before real estate folks, and their advice was good - they told us the above, plus to verify the flood zone before even looking at a place, even inland. Just some unsolicited advice

Merritt Island - do you mean 520 or 528? Big difference! I like mid century ranch-style houses and so may look at the housing stock around here with a less critical eye than most but the congestion around 528 is pretty obnoxious even though you are minutes to beach, boating, shopping, and Cocoa Village.

Thanks Inside...I have been checking flood zone overlays on any house we are interested in. The overlays are so easy to pop on when you're in MLS that there's definitely no excuse not to. I've been getting all sorts of numbers on different houses with an all time high of a 200,000, 2000 sqft, 2 level frame contstruction being at 5800. I also have gotten a variance of as much as 1700.00 difference on the same house between different insurance companies. Sometimes I'm surprised though that the insurance companies are rating the new houses so much better because so many of them still seem to be very cheap builds...

Old 08-15-2015, 01:45 PM

8 posts, read 8,350 times
Wow, that's astronomical! Wood frame does complicate things. Ours hovers around 2g's a year, with 100k contents, but that's concrete block, newer roof, new wiring. The highest estimate we had was 2600 with no contents, 3200 with contents. If we re-do the windows and replace the garage and front door, they said it would be 1750. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2015, 08:48 PM

249 posts, read 749,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphos View Post
We are relocating back to Florida and will be in Melbourne this time (we've lived many years in Miami and a couple years in St. Pete). My husband will be working in Melbourne by the airport for major aerospace company. We are looking to but have been struggling with the area to focus on. Beachside is pretty much out due to budget killed by price and high insurance. We homeschool so schools are not an issue. Looking to stay somewhere between 150ish to 185ish maybe with a pool and at least a decent size lot. Tree lined streets or at least green spaces, no flat streets with not a tree in sight. Quiet family friendly SAFE neighborhoods, parks, library, shopping, farmers markets, beaches not far away. Since we can't be on the beach we would still like to remember we are on the coast, after three years of living in the middle of the country. And my husband wants to still feel a more tropical coastal feeling not like we are living in the middle of the state.

I've read a Lot of,the posts and I've looked at hundreds of houses online and he's seen some beachside and will be looking at some in the three places we are considering. I was looking at Rockledge around Levitt Parkway, Merritt just above and a bit below the mid causeway, and in Se, nw and ne Palm Bay. We like 50's and 60's houses and it seems like Rockledge has a lot of that, but Palm Bay seems to get a bit more house for the same money.

I know I'm thinking out loud here a lot but maybe I could get some thoughts?
I love my house on Levitt Parkway. I too like the older homes. I bought a bit over a year ago. I will help all I can if you have questions.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:22 AM

3,552 posts, read 6,174,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlover View Post
if you like drive by shooting check out palm bay they are always having some happening in palm bay I would avoid palm bay check to see where at palm bay is almost as bad as Orlando or miami
Usually the drive by shootings are in Melbourne, but OK if you want to include South and North Melbourne as part of Palm Bay, maybe we should petition for it to be part of Palm Bay and just have the town named Palm Bay/Melbourne all the way to Viera with one set of government if Palm Bay is going to get all the bad mouthing anyway. Palm Bay is pretty much quiet, sort of family neighborhoods with people from everywhere getting along and helping each other out.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:50 AM

137 posts, read 123,960 times
Whats everyone think about the area south of Melbourne Golf and Country Club? We just bought a home off Edgewood dr and driving around it seemed like a nice neighborhood, the homes looked well kept too. Just curious what others thoughts are that have know the area more than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or