U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 12:22 PM

32 posts, read 37,565 times

Advertisements

East or West?

I have never been to Melbourne area, and will be going down in a month or so to check it out.
Need a milder climate and may settle in Fl.

I was in Tampa once , 20 years ago for 2 days..Bush gardens with the kids.. never went to St.Pete but went to clearwater beach for a few hours..I have been to miami, south beach, Boynton beach, Ft. lauderdale etc.. never went above Jensen beach.. and all this was 20 years ago..

I see that rents are less in St. Pete and that there seem to be more jobs, entertainment and restaurants..more transportation and also bike able and walkable. Arts and music is important to me and it looks like they are doing a lot in that area (Brandon and St. Pete arts district)

I guess my question is...
Is Melbourne really revitalizing the down town arts district? The EGAD info on the internet is really nothing. Been looking at that for a few years now and not much advertised.

Hubby would like to be on the Atlantic but I am concerned there will not be a music or art scene.

We are both musicians and work in electronics. I also paint and do fiber arts /sewing as well.
We like fishing. Have been living very rural for a long time and would like a bit more activity and events available. Yet we also want privacy and space/quiet.

Is this possible in Melbourne?

thanks, sorry about the scattered brained post.. artists!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 01:56 PM

8 posts, read 8,328 times
I am familiar with both areas. Melbourne has its' charms but the art and music options are smaller than St Pete, which is way more arty/vibrant and has a much better restaurant scene. It's as nice of a small city as you'll find anywhere. There's a boom downtown now, and it's more congested than it used to be but you can walk everywhere although not to the beach. I guess access to good fishing will depend upon where you keep your boat. Melbourne is more laid back, has less crowded/developed beaches and the amazing Indian River/Banana River for fishing and nobody seems bothered about where you keep your boat. Melbourne could use more people like you!!

Old 08-20-2015, 12:11 PM

hey thanks for the reply..I was thinking the same thing..
"Melbourne could use more people like you!!"

I check all the forums and web sites and it seems like Melbourne is a beautiful place…yet it still needs to grow as far as entertainment and art and events. I always think,, if you build it they will come..being part of something is important to me…

i lived in a place where it was all promoted to 'take off' int he next 5 years and nothing ever happened..

I would like to be able to walk to places, shops, fruit market, water front tavern etc.. and not be car dependent all the time..

Old 08-20-2015, 12:15 PM

4,974 posts, read 7,245,528 times
If I may just be blunt with you....
You'll be bored to tears in Melbourne. It's a very small town and really not a whole lot going on. Granted, it's pretty and has a nice amount of parks and nature, but there is literally almost nothing to do.

I was in St. Pete this past weekend and it has a super cute/artsy downtown, walkable neighborhoods, theatres, bars, restaurants, etc. It's just more developed and there is more going on. And west coast beaches are perfect. I would definitely recommend St. Pete to you. It's very pretty, charming, and very livable and rents are reasonable.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:25 PM

10,540 posts, read 10,751,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
If I may just be blunt with you....
You'll be bored to tears in Melbourne. It's a very small town and really not a whole lot going on. Granted, it's pretty and has a nice amount of parks and nature, but there is literally almost nothing to do.

I was in St. Pete this past weekend and it has a super cute/artsy downtown, walkable neighborhoods, theatres, bars, restaurants, etc. It's just more developed and there is more going on. And west coast beaches are perfect. I would definitely recommend St. Pete to you. It's very pretty, charming, and very livable and rents are reasonable.
Downtown Melbourne and cocoa village are probably the only 2 decent places around

Old 08-21-2015, 06:12 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,155,266 times
It depends on what is considered artsy as to how boring it is in Melbourne. If we are just talking coffee houses and pubs or are we talking classical etc. too? We have a symphony orchestra that is really pretty good here in Melbourne. 2015-2016 Subscription Season - Brevard Symphony Orchestra

King Center also has some good performances Schedule of Events | Maxwell C. King Center for the Performing Arts

There are also several community theaters where you can get involved with plays etc.

Home - The HenegarThe Henegar | Center for the Arts

Also we have the Melbourne Cvic Theater
Melbourne Civic Theatre - Community Theatre in Melbourne, FL

Are we NYC no way.

Not everyone enjoys the same kind of entertainment. Downtown Melbourne at night is more a younger generation bar scene, but there are art festivals and Friday fests, art galleries, restaurants, the that everyone can enjoy.

We have the one art museum in Eau Gallie, but many artists have their own galleries including some of the Highwaymen.

Sometimes people who say a place is boring have not really experienced everything an area has to offer and what they consider to be fun is boring in other peoples eyes so you have to make your own decisions.

If you are 20 and hip hop.....going to be bored. If you are more open there are lots of activities of worth in this area and you are within 3 hours of 4 of the major cities in Florida if you want more.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:40 AM

169 posts, read 389,135 times
My husband and I are avid hobbyists. It seems we almost always end up living in a small-ish town outside of a major city but it never interferes with our ability to have fun. People are often surprised by how busy I stay given that I don't work outside the home and am childless by choice.

Admittedly, I'm 51 and am contented by a good meal out followed by something on Netflix for a night "out", but between doing a lot of cooking and baking, keeping the house as close to spotless as possible, etching glass, doing machine embroidery, sewing, quilting, using our laser cutter to make things, and staying on top of the things we all do in the course of living I am never bored no matter where we live. I'm happy to learn that Melbourne has a symphony; my husband plays the viola and we both enjoy taking in the occasional orchestra when time permits. He also builds robots, writes apps, dabbles in photography, and belongs to hobby rocket and helicopter clubs. I tease that it isn't fair for him to launch hobby rockets because he is an actual rocket scientist by day!

When I lived in San Diego there was always something happening; I didn't have to lift a finger to find a way to spend leisure time. But living in small towns has been a gift to me; I've discovered and cultivated the artist inside me that was dormant during my corporate career that entailed big city living (which was fantastic too in its own right) and a decidedly faster pace. St. Pete sounds like a must-do day trip so even a weekend getaway. We are hoping to visit Havana before it evolves too much; it would be fascinating to see what we have only read about.

I write all of this to say that if anyone understands and appreciates the lure of the accouterments of a bigger city/more developed city and the heartbreak of leaving it for a much smaller town, it's me. I truly loved living on the west side of LA and in San Diego...but IF you're open to it, a small town can not only surprise you, but help you find parts of yourself you never knew existed.

Best of luck to you in making your decision about where to live; life is a succession of adventures!

Old 08-21-2015, 10:36 PM

nice replies people,thanks. I really am leaning on St.Pete. The houses in the old north the end are nice. The cute bungalows in Gulfport..and the rents a lot cheaper for getting started in a new place...when I see what I can get in St. Pete, cute mission style vintage apartments vs the CBS crappy condo that i can afford in Cape Canaveral or on Pinapple/Guava in Melbourne..it's a no brainer to me…yet hubby thinks his employment prospects would be better on the space coast..

I read Tampa is becoming a mini silicon valley..and that there are more manufacturing and electronics jobs coming back..I will ask hubby to look into what they have for him ..

so I guess my trip will consist of checking out Melbourne area and then head over to St. Pete..

I walk around google earth a lot..Tarpon Springs, dunedin, Clearwater, Bradenton…then Cocoa, Daytona, Sebastion,Melbourne Titisville St. Augustine (love the little lanes and old buildings there ! ) of both east and west I l like St.Pete the best. I can see myself in the old north part.

a series of adventuress is true. I have lived in NYC, Boston,Austin and 2 years in the south of Spain as a teen..
.I spent the past 20 years here in the mountains and if I don't get out soon and shake the hermit off of me while I am still kind of young..50, I think I will shrivel up and die in front of the wood stove. kidding..but the winter is hard on me..physically and mentally..i get shut in and hardly go out for about 5 months! I have a great zest for life and very frustrated the past 2 years..and found myself kinda stuck here until kids went off to college. then we had the recession and property values dropped..things are better now and our house finished with renovation and on the market..took longer than i had hoped but at least we are closer to making a change..

thanks people, many on the forum are very nice and informative..

what did we do before the internet? Winged it..got in the car and drove with a paper map. I liked those old times..Glad we had them..kids now have no clue what it was like..
best to you all!

Old 08-22-2015, 05:41 AM

782 posts, read 765,748 times
There is something to be said about winging it. I can fondly remember my college and post school days grabbing a paper map with a buddy or two and just heading out. Pick a state, rent a car and see what ever there is to see. Fun times. Now it seems, you spend more time intricately looking up every detail on line, taking the gps and when you get there, it isn't always what it seemed it would be from all the on line reviews (good or bad ones). You miss a lot too when you plot a course on the gps. The ride is just the means of getting there. What happened to just exploring a bit, meet the locals and hang where THEY hang. So much out there I feel we all miss.
I would definetly go off course in your travels. You find some fun and different places tucked away from the tourist traps. Go on a kayak tour in Melbourne/ Palm Bay and greet a manatee family up close. Check out downtown Cocoa Beach for nice vibes and great food. Check out the less populated beaches along A1A in Brevard. I am an east coaster. Nothing wrong out west, but the waves on the Atlantic coast are music to my ears.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:45 PM

bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
There is something to be said about winging it. I can fondly remember my college and post school days grabbing a paper map with a buddy or two and just heading out. Pick a state, rent a car and see what ever there is to see. Fun times. Now it seems, you spend more time intricately looking up every detail on line, taking the gps and when you get there, it isn't always what it seemed it would be from all the on line reviews (good or bad ones). You miss a lot too when you plot a course on the gps. The ride is just the means of getting there. What happened to just exploring a bit, meet the locals and hang where THEY hang. So much out there I feel we all miss.
I would definetly go off course in your travels. You find some fun and different places tucked away from the tourist traps. Go on a kayak tour in Melbourne/ Palm Bay and greet a manatee family up close. Check out downtown Cocoa Beach for nice vibes and great food. Check out the less populated beaches along A1A in Brevard. I am an east coaster. Nothing wrong out west, but the waves on the Atlantic coast are music to my ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or