U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 05:37 PM

169 posts, read 389,760 times

Advertisements

Greetings Space Coasters!
I am in the thick of sifting through my wintry wardrobe and am having some trouble deciding what to bring. Since I don't work outside of taking the occasional machine embroidery/monogramming gig and am a very casual person, my current winter weight gear consists mainly of fleece jackets and vests, turtle necks (heavy gauge rib knits), and a handful of sweaters that I rarely wear because I prefer to layer two tissue weight T shirts and pull on a fleece if I'm super cold. I cannot imagine wearing heavy turtle necks in Florida and perhaps August is the wrong month to ask, but what do Space Coasters wear/need when it's "winter"? What would you tell me to bring?

Also, I presume a generally casual vibe with regard to wardrobe prevails in a tropical climate, an I right?

Hubby wears khakis and polos to work and though I know that varies from company to company I assume that will fly in Florida as well, generally speaking?

Help me travel light please!

One more thing, does anyone here ever need an actual winter coat in Brevard County? I thought I'd hang on to one or two in the event that we travel north during the winter.

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 06:14 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,887,255 times
My wardrobe changed substantially when I moved to Florida.

I found turtle necks to be oppressive and unnecessary also anything such as a sweater that had fibers that could stick to me due to the humidity. The same for heavy cotton or all stretchy thick tops. A cotton scarf is plenty if your neck gets cold. I wear long sleeved T's in the winter made of thin mixed material with a bit of stretch and pull the sleeves up if I need to. Lightweight, sleeveless stretchy in summer. I have several decorative short and long sleeved ruana type tops and similar jackets of all fabric weights some for summer, some for winter to go over these including over sleeveless dresses to expand my wardrobe. Summer fabrics are necessarily thin.

A light and medium weight jacket including one for rain as it does rain daily in the summer though most people just use an umbrella if anything. Nothing wool, but a couple of fleece tops and a one or two winter weight soft suit type jackets. It does get cold for a couple of weeks and after your blood thins you'll be glad to have that heavy jacket and maybe even a hat and gloves.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:41 PM

Sgoldie,
Thank you! I appreciate your detailed description of the kinds of clothes you wear. I have a lot of tissue weight tshirts, long and short sleeved; I wear them a lot so I'm glad they'll translate to your climate. I bought a few sleeveless dresses and light weight cotton cardigans to wear over them; I sometimes get chilly in supermarkets and movie theaters despite my hot flashes!

I'm going to dump the turtle necks on your advice, and pitch the sweaters too. The Salvation Army will find new homes for my unneeded winter gear! I have a bright yellow rain slicker and a black trench coat; those should do, and I have unlined rain boots so I will bring them along.

It sounds like a few cashmere sweaters I have will be donations too. Thank you again for your input!

Old 08-23-2015, 06:46 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,887,255 times
Oh, I might have a hard time dispensing with the cashmere myself if it can be worn over the T's.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:49 PM

Good idea! It can be worn over a T...that's how I wear it here. I don't have any wool left; I've either donated it or felted it to use decoratively in a sewing project!

Thank you!!!

Old 08-23-2015, 07:19 PM

3,552 posts, read 6,176,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imisscarlsbadcalifornia View Post
Greetings Space Coasters!
I am in the thick of sifting through my wintry wardrobe and am having some trouble deciding what to bring. Since I don't work outside of taking the occasional machine embroidery/monogramming gig and am a very casual person, my current winter weight gear consists mainly of fleece jackets and vests, turtle necks (heavy gauge rib knits), and a handful of sweaters that I rarely wear because I prefer to layer two tissue weight T shirts and pull on a fleece if I'm super cold. I cannot imagine wearing heavy turtle necks in Florida and perhaps August is the wrong month to ask, but what do Space Coasters wear/need when it's "winter"? What would you tell me to bring?

Also, I presume a generally casual vibe with regard to wardrobe prevails in a tropical climate, an I right?

Hubby wears khakis and polos to work and though I know that varies from company to company I assume that will fly in Florida as well, generally speaking?

Help me travel light please!

One more thing, does anyone here ever need an actual winter coat in Brevard County? I thought I'd hang on to one or two in the event that we travel north during the winter.

Thanks everyone.
When I moved here back in the 70s, I did not bring a winter coat down. I regretted it for the next 3 winters. It snowed one of those years. It melted pretty quickly here on the coast; but it was on the ground till about noon in Orlando. My parents were here that winter and wore winter coats the whole vacation and they are from Chicago. Cold spells don't last long, but there is usually a biting wind that can make it feel colder than Chicago sometimes so the winter coat feels good maybe once or twice a year when I go to work in the early morning or know I will be working late when a cold front comes this far South.

In the winter months it cools to the 40s a lot of nights and then gets back up to the 60s and 70s by noon so layering is good.

You will also want a winter coat for trips when you go North. so I have winter coat, gloves, and hat that stays new looking from lack of wear that I could never live without in Florida because I wear it every year for trips.

One thing that can be hard to find down here after the first cold spell are gloves. People also buy a lot of thermal down her and even women's Cuddle Duds to wear under their clothes.

I do wear sweaters but they are all the cotton kind not the wintery ones like I wore up North. I would rather wear a sweater than fleece. If you are like most of us, in a few years you will be the one at the beach in jeans and a heavy hoody when the Snowbirds are in their swimsuits and in the water.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:12 PM

Rabflmom,
This is great insight, particularly about the gloves! I have some nerve issues with my hands and they get cold faster than the rest of me so I be sure to pack a few pairs for good keeping. I've always kind of run hot; it will surprise me if I'm cold in the winter there but anything is possible. I lived in SoCal for many years and wore open toe shoes all year round, even when natives were bundled up so we wi see! I'm a lot older now so I could well fall prey to the bite of wind.

I do have a few cotton sweaters as you do; I will be sure to bring them. I never wear the fleece directly on my skin; always layered over a T. I live in cotton; yoga pants are my "uniform" in that I have a few saddle stools on wheels in my sewing room which is where you can find me on many days...they stretch with me...I'm all about stretch!

I have family in northwestern Pennsylvania; I will definitely hold on to a few coats and my warm winter boots for my occasional trips up there...though I expect that they will much prefer a winter respite in Melbourne to my visit to their winter wonderland! I have always loved snow; even at 51 it truly doesn't bother me in the least. I actually missed it while I was in California but I know my husband is eager to say goodbye to the snow shovels! We would get clobbered in Denver from time to time, less so here in Virginia but if it snows in Florida again I will be willing to patiently wait for the melt rather than shovel.

I very much appreciate your pointers and will heed your advice. Thank you for helping me pare down but remain prepared for the exceptions to the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County