Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 06:36 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,683,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
Traffic on N. Courtenay has gotten quite congested, particularly around the rush school hours (such as they are). On the north end (near the 528), the draw bridge on the barge canal can make it worse. We try to avoid N. Courtenay at all, if possible.

Once you're hear for awhile, you'll learn the shortcuts that can take you around some of the congestion... like Merritt Ave. runs from Sykes Creek to N. Courtenay, thus bypassing the Courtenay/520 intersection. Fortenberry does the same into S. Courtenay.

We're beginning to appreciate Cocoa Village more and more. We're kicking around the idea of buying a boat, and keeping it at the Cocoa Village Marina, due to its convenience to the Village.

Give a shout next time you're visiting, and we'll meet up.
Clnewman, we will definitely try to hook up next time. I didn't want to stir up anything with the homestead, but I would have had a night cap if you were available...

I love Cocoa Village from the eateries to the oil shop and various galleries. It is so nice to walk down the streets and browse on a day like we had on Saturday. I could see myself with a small storefront selling whatever made sense at the time and enjoying the locals and other shop owners. Now what could I sell that is not there now and yet would fit well in the Village?
Not much night life there. A tavern with live bands might bring in some extra flavor (if the city allows that)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 06:52 AM

682 posts, read 718,586 times
[quote=clnewman;42287865]Traffic on N. Courtenay has gotten quite congested, particularly around the rush school hours (such as they are). On the north end (near the 528), the draw bridge on the barge canal can make it worse. We try to avoid N. Courtenay at all, if possible.

Once you're hear for awhile, you'll learn the shortcuts that can take you around some of the congestion... like Merritt Ave. runs from Sykes Creek to N. Courtenay, thus bypassing the Courtenay/520 intersection. Fortenberry does the same into S. Courtenay.

/quote]

No! Don't put the shortcuts on the internet! They are not going to be shortcuts for very long! lol

Courtenay Pkwy is getting very congested. Its especially bad starting at 1:00pm until about 6:00. I see a lot of out of town license plates so that may be to blame, but it could also be because the lights are timed horribly. One more thing, EVERYBODY gets in the passing lane thinking that is faster but its always the slowest lane.(Crap... I just gave another secret).

Something else to check out this time of year is the Surfing Santas at Cocoa Beach on Christmas eve morning. Its a popular event so head out there early if you want to see it.
Here is the information about it...

Its on
December 24, 2015
Thursday at 10:00 AM
at 235 W Cocoa Beach Cswy
Cocoa Beach, Florida 32931

EVENT DETAILS
Surfing Santa Cocoa Beach

Join us for Surfing Santa 2015. We have 3 events scheduled. You can sign up as a volunteer, spectator or (Christmas eve) as a surfing santa. Event 1: Surfing Santa arrives at Shepard Park. Come get your picture taken with him for Free!! Fun starts at 1pm. Event 2: The main event! Come to Minuteman Causeway Christmas Eve dressed as a surfing santa, snowman, elf or your favorite holiday character. The fun starts at 8am.

300 or more SurfingSantas will dress up in Christmas themed outfits and paddle out into the cold Atlantic Ocean to ride the waves of Christmas Joy !

Be on the look out for up to 40 Sky Diving Santas! Keep up to date on all our happenings. Visit our website or Facebook page: Surfing Santas Cocoa Beach Florida https://www.facebook.com/SurfingSantas

Old 12-17-2015, 04:46 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketHauler View Post
^^^This right here. I'm sure you could tell I'm a mid-westerner by my Viking-like appearance and I get the same odd stares.
I paid my dues in the frozen tundra, and 60 degrees doesn't feel cold at all, even though I've been here a year now. I'll never forget -25 degrees and -45 degree wind chills. That leaves an imprint on a person...
When I visited Orlando, I got the same. It would get into the sixties and they'd all be bundled up as if they were wintering in Fairbanks. Or Sheridan.

People would stare. However, not for too long, because guys who look like a Santa Claus who got busted for elf exploitation and is now on work release tend to have a barbaric Nordic countenance that not everyone wants to jab at. I asked my friend from Ocala if I was imagining things, and he said: "Bro, to them, you look like livin' proof that Rasputin [procreated with] grizzly bears."

Old 12-18-2015, 06:50 AM

232 posts, read 398,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
Clnewman, we will definitely try to hook up next time. I didn't want to stir up anything with the homestead, but I would have had a night cap if you were available...
DOH! I should have let you know that I had a "kitchen pass" to meet up. I assumed (there's that word) since you were going to Melbourne, you'd maybe not want to come back to MI that evening. We've been married for 42 years, and I work from home. She views any alone time as a mini-vacation

Next time for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
I love Cocoa Village from the eateries to the oil shop and various galleries. It is so nice to walk down the streets and browse on a day like we had on Saturday. I could see myself with a small storefront selling whatever made sense at the time and enjoying the locals and other shop owners. Now what could I sell that is not there now and yet would fit well in the Village?
Not much night life there. A tavern with live bands might bring in some extra flavor (if the city allows that)...
I think the Dog 'n Bone has live music on occasion, as might The Village Idiot. Murdock's might, too. Their web sites indicate they do, though I didn't see anything scheduled when I looked. We don't go to the Village for evening entertainment, since The Island is so close to home (a $5 cab ride, plus tip).

Old 12-18-2015, 07:11 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,683,327 times
[quote=clnewman;42324630]DOH! I should have let you know that I had a "kitchen pass" to meet up. I assumed (there's that word) since you were going to Melbourne, you'd maybe not want to come back to MI that evening. We've been married for 42 years, and I work from home. She views any alone time as a mini-vacation

Next time for sure!

No worries, it was a short trip spent running around. My wife hates those types of trips and likely is why she decided to stay home. I can't get enough traveling around when down there. Even when staying for a week, if I take a dip in the pool, I get anxious thinking what is next. So I don't mind getting away for a few days and do things on my time table. I got no one to blame but myself If I miss something. Also gives me more reasons to come back down again soon. Still need to check out The Island...

When I travel down, I always stay in Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral since we own a time share there and as long as rooms are available, it's half the cost of a standard hotel room and much much nicer. I say this as any trip I make further south to Melbourne or Palm Bay is always just a day or night trip. Home base is back north in the Port Area. Most of my properties are in Merritt Island so making my sleep place near there is easier when checking on things, meeting my realtor friends or just enjoying restaurants I prefer in this area. By the time I got back to where I was staying, it was closer 11:45pm since I was taking my time strolling along. I was tired by then for sure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County