Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:23 PM

52 posts, read 111,241 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Brevard Co. We own property in Brooksville Fl (Gulf side) which my mother-in-law lives in. In 2014 we visited there twice, in May and then again at the end of October and I was eaten alive by what I assume were no-see-ums. I had a few mosquito bites but the no-see-um bites were brutal (100 bites on the first trip and more than that the second time). Both trips we went down to the Ft Meyers area for a few days and I got bit there more than in Brooksville. The bites I got in October took many months to heal so obviously I'm highly allergic. I know Florida has more bugs than I'm used to in California but it's those pesky no-see-ums I'm worried about. Any insight on these little creatures and how bad they are in Brevard Co would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 07:16 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,115,716 times
Speaking for Cocoa Beach, beachfront properties, no bug problem. Riverfront or close, the no-see-ums come out at daybreak and sundown but are gone during the day.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:30 AM

232 posts, read 395,749 times
It depends on where you are in Brevard. The closer to the rivers and woods you are, the worse they can be. They tend to slow down during the winter months, though that's not always the case. It has been a relatively warm winter thus far, and we still get them in the early morning and evening hours.

There is a pretty good web site that discusses them, a quote from which is shown below.

Quote:
The natural habitats of biting midges vary by species. Areas with substantial salt marsh habitat are major producers of many biting midge species. Additional sources for some species, like the bluetongue virus vector Culicoides sonorensis Wirth and Jones, include highly organic soil that is wet but not underwater such as those found with high manure loads in swine-, sheep- and cattle-farming operations. These insects do not establish inside homes, apartments, or inside humans or other animals.
The Indian and Banana rivers are essentially salt marshes, so there you go. The little buggers are the bane of my Florida existence.

However, if you want to enjoy your patio/backyard, you can screen it in. There are screen manufacturers that claim a grid small enough (17x20 and/or 20x20 holes/inch) to prevent their entry, yet does not have a significant impact on letting light through. A pool/deck screen is in our plans for this winter.

Lastly, we have found that Avon's Skin So Soft Bug Guard tends to work pretty well. Just don't forget to apply it before you go out. I have also found that, in the two years we've been here, I don't seem to have the reaction now that I had when we first arrived. I still get bit, but my reaction to the bites isn't as bad, nor do I seem to get bit as often.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
It depends on where you are in Brevard. The closer to the rivers and woods you are, the worse they can be. They tend to slow down during the winter months, though that's not always the case. It has been a relatively warm winter thus far, and we still get them in the early morning and evening hours.

There is a pretty good web site that discusses them, a quote from which is shown below.

The Indian and Banana rivers are essentially salt marshes, so there you go. The little buggers are the bane of my Florida existence.

However, if you want to enjoy your patio/backyard, you can screen it in. There are screen manufacturers that claim a grid small enough (17x20 and/or 20x20 holes/inch) to prevent their entry, yet does not have a significant impact on letting light through. A pool/deck screen is in our plans for this winter.

Lastly, we have found that Avon's Skin So Soft Bug Guard tends to work pretty well. Just don't forget to apply it before you go out. I have also found that, in the two years we've been here, I don't seem to have the reaction now that I had when we first arrived. I still get bit, but my reaction to the bites isn't as bad, nor do I seem to get bit as often.
Thanks for the good info! I have read up on these little bugs and I know not everyone is affected by them. Amazingly some people don't get bit at all. I think it has to do with body chemistry and I heard if you eat a lot of garlic that can be helpful. While staying on Pine Island I think they may have actually been inside the house we were renting as that was the only time I didn't make sure to be covered with bug spray. I tried Avon's Skin So Soft and it didn't seem to help. Those buggers were determined to get to me through anything! I'm such an outdoors person I'm a little worried about the move there. Not sure I want to stay confined to a screen porch for the rest of my life.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Speaking for Cocoa Beach, beachfront properties, no bug problem. Riverfront or close, the no-see-ums come out at daybreak and sundown but are gone during the day.
Thanks. I know they seemed to be much worse at daybreak and sundown but I even got bit during the day. My husband says if you are out on the water they aren't as bad, especially when there are breezes. He wants to live on a boat instead of buying a house so I think that's his way of trying to convince me.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:23 PM

23 posts, read 42,714 times
Flying insects (other than occasional mosquitoes) never bothered us when we lived in Viera, but fire ants were a constant challenge. 6 years later, I still have scars on my feet and ankles from them.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:26 AM

232 posts, read 395,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS3 View Post
Thanks for the good info! I have read up on these little bugs and I know not everyone is affected by them. Amazingly some people don't get bit at all. I think it has to do with body chemistry and I heard if you eat a lot of garlic that can be helpful. While staying on Pine Island I think they may have actually been inside the house we were renting as that was the only time I didn't make sure to be covered with bug spray. I tried Avon's Skin So Soft and it didn't seem to help. Those buggers were determined to get to me through anything! I'm such an outdoors person I'm a little worried about the move there. Not sure I want to stay confined to a screen porch for the rest of my life.
You won't be confined to the porch. Noseeums are typically only out at dawn and dusk, and they don't swarm like gnats do. You'll be pretty much bug-free during the daylight hours. In the evenings, just put on some light weight long pants and long sleeved shirt. That's what I do. They usually get me around the ankles and triceps area, above the elbow. Take those areas away from them, and you'll be fine.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
You won't be confined to the porch. Noseeums are typically only out at dawn and dusk, and they don't swarm like gnats do. You'll be pretty much bug-free during the daylight hours. In the evenings, just put on some light weight long pants and long sleeved shirt. That's what I do. They usually get me around the ankles and triceps area, above the elbow. Take those areas away from them, and you'll be fine.
Unfortunately I'm a noseeum magnet and they bit me mostly on my back even while wearing clothing to cover that area. I didn't have many bites on my legs but did have some terrible bites on my forearms that left scars. I also was bit by sand fleas in Oregon while on a very cold beach so I was all bundled up with many layers of clothes and coats. Evidently they will go to the extreme to get to me. Ugh!

Old 01-10-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberConch View Post
Flying insects (other than occasional mosquitoes) never bothered us when we lived in Viera, but fire ants were a constant challenge. 6 years later, I still have scars on my feet and ankles from them.
Not excited about the fire ants either! I had never heard of them before I visited Florida. I understand they are very hard to get rid of.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:11 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,663,827 times
These are are some of the things you have to deal with to enjoy the rest of what you get down there. We in NY have freezing cold winters, faster pace, and a generally higher cost of living. Take your pick ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County