U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,121 times

Advertisements

Can anybody give me advice on moving to Fl? We are in the process of thinking about moving off Long Island. We are also thinking about South Carolina. Any information would be helpful, the Pro's and Con's Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 02:06 PM

510 posts, read 663,614 times
We have only vacationed in Florida in recent years and so can't help you, but here is the link to all threads mentioning relocation.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=22193283

Old 02-14-2016, 05:18 PM

784 posts, read 771,852 times
NewYorker, I too am from Long Island and likely the same age judging from your name . There are many posts throughout City Data and within this Brevard County section. You would do well to scan through the many topics and think about which part of Florida may work for you. Do you have a job lined up (or need one)? Do you want to be near a beach? Are school ratings important? What age are the kids if any? What price range housing would you be comfortable with? The list goes on and on. You can get lost in the amount of information available but narrowing down some of your needs, wants and desires will be a good way to start.
For a short answer: Florida can provide better overall weather, lower housing costs, more laid back life and access to many nice beaches (at least in Brevard County). Throw in some great restaurants, bars, The Port, close access to the Orlando attractions and some great schools (depending on which area) and you have a nice place to live. The cons are very hot and humid summers, lots of different wildlife that for some can be unsettling (snakes, mosquitoes, lizards, spiders, alligators and roaches to name a few) and potential for some severe storms at various times of the year which can make home insurance quite expensive compared to other states. Specific jobs can also be difficult to get with salaries lower than you might expect.
For me, I prefer the beach side neighborhoods of Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, Indialantic and Melbourne beach and Merritt Island if not beach side. Hope this helps gets you started.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:30 PM

1,338 posts, read 1,383,033 times
Visit both and see which you like better. We moved from the DC area last summer and like the Florida weather and being near the beach. Why do you think you would like South Carolina?

Old 02-14-2016, 10:21 PM

83 posts, read 144,409 times
It snows in S. Carolina and the roads are less than normal,

Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 AM

47 posts, read 49,882 times
Depending on where you are in SC.... talking about snow in SC is silly but if you were in the mountains you might see some but certainly nothing much. . SC is a beautiful state just as FL is. I grew up in FL and have lived in both and never saw snow in SC. I was in the North Charleston area as well as Walterboro...

I've also worked in NC, north of SC and didn't see much snow but I was not in the NW part of the state.

I lived in Morehead City, Smithfield and all I saw was a dusting..

Old 02-15-2016, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,121 times
Thanks Everyone!! Just need some input!! We are looking in Mt Pleasant Area in S.C. and Palm Coast Area in FL. Coming from Long Island we have high taxes. My husband will be retiring soon from the state police so fl being a state that doesn't tax his pension is why we are looking in fl. I'm looking where we can live comfortable and without high taxes like NY. Any feed back anybody can give me I thank you.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:12 AM

784 posts, read 771,852 times
Taxes will be much lower in Florida (and SC) than Long Island, that I can attest to. Feel free to DM me if you want some more in depth opinions and information from a current Long Islander that has invested in Florida for future residence.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:36 AM

587 posts, read 1,112,060 times
NewYorker1965,

Did you mean Palm Coast or Palm Bay? This is the Brevard County forum, and while Palm Bay is in Brevard, Palm Coast is not. If you're interested in Palm Coast you'll want to ask in the main Florida forum.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:58 PM

17,422 posts, read 10,504,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker1965 View Post
Thanks Everyone!! Just need some input!! We are looking in Mt Pleasant Area in S.C. and Palm Coast Area in FL. Coming from Long Island we have high taxes. My husband will be retiring soon from the state police so fl being a state that doesn't tax his pension is why we are looking in fl. I'm looking where we can live comfortable and without high taxes like NY. Any feed back anybody can give me I thank you.
My wife and I looked at SC, including Mt Pleasant. We decided against SC primarily because it was hectic city or rural with little in between. Now if you enjoy rural and are not someone who wants to go to a variety of places it may well work for you. It has low property taxes which can offset the income tax in many cases.

I am looking at FL as my next and final move (hopefully) and favoring The central East Coast (Brevard County) followed by the central West coast. Just watch out for CDD's a second property tax, HOA's which in many cases are high and with minimal return unless you are younger with family or want a 55 plus community and Flood zones which will lead to very high insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or