Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 09:40 AM

9 posts, read 14,956 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are in the process of moving to the Melbourne area, specifically we will be renting a house in Indialantic. We are coming from the Chicago suburbs and here we have several forest preserves with walking trails just a few miles away where we walk almost daily. I looked up a few local forest trails but it seems that a lot of them don't allow pets . Our dog is very well behaved around people but he can be particular with dogs so dog parks are not ideal for us. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 11:11 AM

646 posts, read 688,410 times
Since you're used to trees and such to walk your dog around in, then I would suggest you check out Gleason Park in Indian Harbour Beach. It isn't very far away from Indiatlantic.... maybe a couple of miles. There is a walking path around the lake and there is a trail through the trees.
Indian Harbour Beach » Gleason Park

The only beach that allows dogs in Brevard county is at Canova Beach. If you go there, you would have to make sure you pay attention to the signs that mark the boundary of where the dogs are allowed. Its pretty popular, so you may not want to take your dog there if he/she can't get along with other dogs. The dogs are supposed to be on leashes, but there is ALWAYS an a$$ who thinks the rules don't apply to them.

Canova Dog Beach

If you click around on the following link it will give you some more info on dog friendly parks/trails for the whole county
http://www.bringfido.com/attraction/...alantic_fl_us/

Old 04-06-2016, 03:01 PM

9 posts, read 14,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
Since you're used to trees and such to walk your dog around in, then I would suggest you check out Gleason Park in Indian Harbour Beach. It isn't very far away from Indiatlantic.... maybe a couple of miles. There is a walking path around the lake and there is a trail through the trees.
Indian Harbour Beach » Gleason Park

The only beach that allows dogs in Brevard county is at Canova Beach. If you go there, you would have to make sure you pay attention to the signs that mark the boundary of where the dogs are allowed. Its pretty popular, so you may not want to take your dog there if he/she can't get along with other dogs. The dogs are supposed to be on leashes, but there is ALWAYS an a$$ who thinks the rules don't apply to them.

Canova Dog Beach

If you click around on the following link it will give you some more info on dog friendly parks/trails for the whole county
Dog Friendly Attractions in Indialantic, FL, US
Thanks for the ideas. I have looked at Canova beach already and Gleason Park. I was hoping for something slightly more "natural" like a preserver with unpaved paths if that makes sense.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:25 AM

646 posts, read 688,410 times
Most(maybe all?) of the county owned nature preserves, parks, and wildlife refuges don't allow dogs.
I used to live on beachside and Gleason Park was the only area that has trees to walk your dogs through. Its nice to meander your way through there when you don't want to drive anywhere, but since you said you checked it out already then you know what I mean.
I did find the following site for you that lists all the trails/parks that you can take your dog. The list isn't too long and you will have to drive to them if coming from beachside. Warning... they put a little jingle on the website so don't get freaked out when music/dog barking starts to play.
#Trailblazers: Dog-friendly places to walk and run

For off the pavement type trails, you can drive down to Fellsmere. There is a state park that allows dogs on leashes. Here is their link...you can google where its at and so forth...
http://floridahikes.com/st-sebastian...rve-state-park

If you want to go hiking WITHOUT your dog on some good trails, then I have a lot of suggestions. I personally like the Turkey Creek Sanctuary, Erna Nixon Park, and Rotary Park in Merritt Island. I have to repeat that these DO NOT allow dogs. They are just some ideas if you ever feel like doing that sort of thing without your dog.

Last edited by beckerd2; 04-07-2016 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County