U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 04:46 PM

47 posts, read 49,869 times

Advertisements

I had previously posted about a drainage problem on the property but learning more and finding that there is a problem with one septic tank.

My latest concern is this... We have two (2) septic tanks. One is for the toilets and the other for sinks, bathtub etc. This is a 2 bedroom small house. What I have learned and wasn't aware is that when we have heavy rains the toilet tank fills and the kitchen doesn't. Doesn't matter if anyone uses the toilets or not.

My son informed me that he was given instructions by a company when it was emptied about 2 yrs ago how to pump the toilet "stuff" to the kitchen tank as it the kitchen never fills.

So, I am thinking it's the lines. This house was built in 1978 and up until my father died he was the only one that lived here and I don't believe he had much problems.

So, the question is this.. what do I do next to solve my problem. Who would or should I call to have the lines checked if that is the correct thing to do?

Also, any estimate to have the inspection done and if I need to have the lines "replaced" any estimate on cost?

Thanks and I appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 05:02 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,477,524 times
do your neighbors also have tanks if so maybe ask them who they use etc. You also could call a few places and ask them for advice. I know in Mass many place do have tanks so maybe posting there might get you help also.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:07 AM

784 posts, read 771,082 times
I would recommend calling a septic company. I am in the process of using Pence Septic. They are close to Palm Bay were that house is,. They are very reputable but quite busy this time of the year, so I am on their list for my major work. I have heard that SOS is also good. Either company should be able to assess the situation and make recommendations.

My system, also a two tank one, has a drain field problem. They have to dig it up and redo it for very big bucks (estimate before starting $8,000). If it is a piping issue to the tanks, it will be much cheaper for you. Homes built after I think 1986 or so only required one tank for both the toilet and sink water. They may end up redirecting all the waste water to one tank. I believe with my drain field issue, that is the plan as well. The good news is, as long as one tank is in good condition, they can do it without the cost of replacing a tank.

Another thing to keep in mind (at least in Palm Bay), if the area now has city sewers, the city will not issue a permit to do any major septic work and you would be required to hook up to the city system. It all depends on your area and of course what exactly will need to get done. For me, there is no city sewers in my area, so I am forced to make these repairs for about the same cost as it would have been to connect to the city system.

Do get a reputable professional in there in any case as this stuff can really get expensive.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:10 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,173,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelee View Post
I had previously posted about a drainage problem on the property but learning more and finding that there is a problem with one septic tank.

My latest concern is this... We have two (2) septic tanks. One is for the toilets and the other for sinks, bathtub etc. This is a 2 bedroom small house. What I have learned and wasn't aware is that when we have heavy rains the toilet tank fills and the kitchen doesn't. Doesn't matter if anyone uses the toilets or not.

My son informed me that he was given instructions by a company when it was emptied about 2 yrs ago how to pump the toilet "stuff" to the kitchen tank as it the kitchen never fills.

So, I am thinking it's the lines. This house was built in 1978 and up until my father died he was the only one that lived here and I don't believe he had much problems.

So, the question is this.. what do I do next to solve my problem. Who would or should I call to have the lines checked if that is the correct thing to do?

Also, any estimate to have the inspection done and if I need to have the lines "replaced" any estimate on cost?

Thanks and I appreciate any help.
We used Curry to have ours pumped. We are saving now to have the drainfield replaced and will probably have them do it later this year. Just paid cash for the new central air so don't want to hit the savings again so soon. Our neighbors had their drainfield replaced a couple months ago by them. We are figuring $5000-6000 for that. I have seen up to $10,000+ quoted for new drainfields but that usually includes new sod. We will probably just replant ourselves and save a little that way. Also saw that the price is also contingent on if they can get the trucks into your yard. If there is no access to take the soil out and bring the new soil in and they have to wheel barrow it to a truck the price goes up. Hopefully they can use the right of way behind our house under the power lines to get to our yard.

Have you had the tanks pumped? It will run between $350-$400 for that. Some companies charge the full price on each tank so always ask.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:22 AM

784 posts, read 771,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
We used Curry to have ours pumped. We are saving now to have the drainfield replaced and will probably have them do it later this year. Just paid cash for the new central air so don't want to hit the savings again so soon. Our neighbors had their drainfield replaced a couple months ago by them. We are figuring $5000-6000 for that. I have seen up to $10,000+ quoted for new drainfields but that usually includes new sod. We will probably just replant ourselves and save a little that way. Also saw that the price is also contingent on if they can get the trucks into your yard. If there is no access to take the soil out and bring the new soil in and they have to wheel barrow it to a truck the price goes up. Hopefully they can use the right of way behind our house under the power lines to get to our yard.

Have you had the tanks pumped? It will run between $350-$400 for that. Some companies charge the full price on each tank so always ask.
Very true concerning the access to the yard. They have to remove a section of fence that boarders my neighbor and still won't be able to get the full sized excavating equipment back there, so smaller Bobcats will be needed and that increased my quote (which does not include planting sod either). I back up to the military annex so no way to come from there unfortunately.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:19 AM

10,576 posts, read 10,788,206 times
Will be good for the Indian river lagoon when more people can switch from septic to sewer

Old 05-22-2016, 06:28 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,173,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Will be good for the Indian river lagoon when more people can switch from septic to sewer
Don't think it will happen in my lifetime in Brevard. They are not building sewer system anywhere in South Brevard. Only the original NE part of town has both city water and sewer system. When we lived in that area our water/sewer charge -without watering grass , without a pool, and did not include the garbage pick up- cost us $150+ every month for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:05 AM

Thanks for all the replies........

I am in the process of getting estimates for checking the system and repairs. I personally (for whatever it's worth) think it's the drain field. My father used to have a lot of large citrus trees and though they are gone the damage is done. The area where the drain field is looks depressed to me or lower than the rest of the yard.

It's expensive to have a check... one company listed "free" estimates but it's not really.. so, we'll see what I find out.

My son can replace the fence and/or grass.

Sun Plumbing is a month out to inspect.... they are only one I've called.

By the way, the City of Palm Bay will not be putting in sewers anytime soon.. Only "new" housing and no schedule to do older homes...that sucks. So, ChopChop0 not a choice. Thank you

Old 05-23-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post

I've called Curry now and they seemed the nicest to deal with. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or