Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 04:35 AM

238 posts, read 742,622 times

Advertisements

My wife and I compromised on a condo. She wanted ocean side and I was looking for something a little further away from the salt air. We lived in a +55 development called Solivita (middle of the state in Poinciana) and she wasn't happy there. We lived in an area that the developer made into "Welcome Houses" where people could stay while checking out the area. I met with a lot of folks that were looking for something away from the ocean, seems that the salt air corrodes air conditioners, outside electrical outlets, well just about anything metallic, they related that after awhile just sitting on the balcony at night looking at the dark ocean got to be a little boring and that the signals for cell phones varied as there aren't any cellphone antennas on the ocean. Also the HOAs can be as high as $700-$800 a month. We found the Halifax Landings on the Halifax River in South Daytona. If you buy high enough you can see the ocean. The view of the river is beautiful and at night the various lights come on and brighten the evening. There are condo rules and there can be "special" assessments to repair or make amenities. We are a mile from the beach and in Volusia County you can buy a season pass to drive on the beach (a lot of people bring in their surfboard, kayaks and canopies and spend the day on the beach). You're on the right track to research where you want to settle and checking out the areas for shopping and activities. Good Luck on your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 07:20 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
I can relate to the salt water corrosion issue as I grew up in an area in Brooklyn, NY down the block from the ocean. Our cars over the years were rust buckets (Salted roads in the winter didn't help either). But, I can say, it was wonderful having the cool breeze in the summer keeping us comfortable most of the time. Also, the scent of the sea water in the air, another memory deeply embedded in my mind. I am quite sure this is a reason, many years later, that I yurn for that experience again and absolutely fell in love with Cocoa Beach and the other beach communities in Brevard. For me, I can not get enough of sitting on a balcony and just staring off into the distance as the waves rhythmically roll into and out of the beach. That is something being on the river can't compare to. I remember when looking at both riverfront and oceanfront properties with my realtor, I always would compare everything to an oceanfront unit. I knew for me, that would be the way to go. The river was calmer and had its advantages if boating and you wanted a dock, but for sitting and relaxing, it got a bit boarding after awhile. The ocean is more active, alive and exciting, but that is a personal preference I guess. It also gives us something to look forward to as we get older and know eventually we will be down there enjoying the sensory pleasures of the sea again. For me, it is worth the extra maintenance that some extra corrosion will throw at us.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:32 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
About the beach biking, north of Patrick AFB is far more conducive to bike riding because of the wider beach with a wider strip of hard packed sand. Except for periods of higher high tides you usually have enough hard pack at the waters edge to easily ride your bike. South of Patrick not nearly as much because of the steeper beaches. I live just north of Patrick and the plane noise is never an issue. I enjoy seeing the planes on approach.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:34 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
@jghorton, I'm curious: Why did you move to Destin? Change of scenery or family or ...?
Grandkids -- 5-years now and still missing Satellite Beach, but, grandkids are great also.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:12 PM

67 posts, read 85,348 times
Thanks for all the comments.

Starrman. I hear what you are saying. My wife wants to live close to the water and the more I thought about it the more I want to be "on" the water. We have looked at the Punta Gorda area on the west coast which would be living on canals. We aren't boaters and although I am sure it is nice, it isn't the ocean and the vibe was a little older then we wanted. Like NYPaFl, I love the sounds, the hypnotic effect of the waves and the smells. I am sure it is higher costs to maintain stuff due to corrosion but every place has its downside.

1Insider. We have fat bikes (picture attached) so the condition of the beach doesn't usually present a problem. Compared to the Northeast I think mostly every southern beach is ride able as long as you stay between the high and low tide water marks.

We are planning a trip for October and looking forward to exploring the area.
Attached Thumbnails
Another looking for post,close to the beach-bb.jpg  

Old 06-20-2016, 08:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Grandkids -- 5-years now and still missing Satellite Beach, but, grandkids are great also.
Gave up on moving to Destin. Wife hates the traffic and I do not like that I am quite far from other interesting places i want to go to. The beaches great there, but ... we will likely move to the Space Coast. Still looking.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:31 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Gave up on moving to Destin. Wife hates the traffic and I do not like that I am quite far from other interesting places i want to go to. The beaches great there, but ... we will likely move to the Space Coast. Still looking.
We would go back to Satellite Beach in a heartbeat ... if it wasn't for the grandkids. It's one of the few small town 'feel' beach towns in Florida without a horrific traffic problem (due to barrier island limitations).

Old 06-24-2016, 05:52 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
Thanks for all the comments.

1Insider. We have fat bikes (picture attached) so the condition of the beach doesn't usually present a problem. Compared to the Northeast I think mostly every southern beach is ride able as long as you stay between the high and low tide water marks.

We are planning a trip for October and looking forward to exploring the area.
We all have fat tires on our beach cruisers. They don't make a tire fat enough for high tide satellite beach. You'll see in October. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County