Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,409 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are being relocated to Melbourne from out of state and need to know of an area of Melbourne that is more farm friendly. We will be relocating with multiple animals including chickens and ducks. We are looking for an area that does not have an HOA. I'm a native Floridian but not from the Space Coast so I'm completely lost! Also, finding the pets a new home is not an option. Once they are part of the family they stay forever! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 07:18 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Would look at the lake Washington area, or maybe parts of Palm bay

Old 07-06-2016, 07:32 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
I think you are pretty much locked into the rural areas of West Melbourne. I may be mistaken, but, I don't believe either Palm Bay or Lake Washington areas are barnyard chicken and duck-friendly (unless, perhaps, you only have one or two and keep them in a cage.)

Old 07-06-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I think you are pretty much locked into the rural areas of West Melbourne. I may be mistaken, but, I don't believe either Palm Bay or Lake Washington areas are barnyard chicken and duck-friendly (unless, perhaps, you only have one or two and keep them in a cage.)
I believe people do have farms off lw, Palm bay may be cheaper and easier though

Old 07-07-2016, 07:28 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I believe people do have farms off lw, Palm bay may be cheaper and easier though
Lots of laws in Palm Bay. Not sure if current but neighbors had 4 chickens for a while. Had to have in cage-no free roaming. Could not have roosters. Cannot breed chickens or sell eggs. I got the impression they don't want you killin chickens to eat because a clause says dispose of dead chickens properly. I think there is also a 1/2 acre needed for each type of animal you have. Cannot have more than 4 or 5 chickens or ducks and all need to be caged and away from neighbor and your property line. To have both means you need an acre. I believe the cages have to be inspected. If you have goats or horses need 1/2 acre for each horse and cannot be the same 1/2 acre as the chickens are on etc.

The city is not really a good spot for farm animals because of neighbors even without an HOA. The raccoons became a problem with the chickens next door and the dog keeping them up at night barking at the raccoons was one of the factors for getting rid of them.

Might look into Grant Valkaria or stay on county land in a rural area and only have their rules to deal with.

Can you get by secretly with farm animals in town.....only if your neighbors don't complain.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:25 PM

Malabar might work. It's not part of pb right?

Old 07-08-2016, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,409 times
Thanks everyone for your input! Yea I'm getting pretty nervous about finding an appropriate place. I'm actually a little surprised the rules are so strict. I don't want to sneak in the pets and be looking over my back all the time. We had to relocate to Massachussets a year ago with our pets, but before that we lived in a downtown urban area of 2 million people and roosters were allowed! Our neighbors were awesome and we are good pet parents that kept things tidy and quiet. So it's hard to see all these properties for sale on an acre in the country and chickens are not allowed. Especially coming from a 10,000 sq ft lot! Heck people even had donkeys! Any one have input on dog laws? I looked at the county and city website and I beleive I saw pretty strict limits on those as well? I'm really hoping their is not a pit bull ban? Thanks again!

Old 07-09-2016, 12:34 PM

680 posts, read 717,271 times
Look at north Merritt Island, west Cocoa (this is NOT the bad part of Cocoa...its on the west side of I-95...lots of acreage out there), Canaveral Groves, parts of Port St. John. Also Malabar and Grant that were already mentioned.
If you go to brevardmls.com, and put in acreage, then these places should come up. Sometimes they have descriptions that say they are zoned agriculture.

Here is an excellent site to check out for your situation.....very informative

BREVARD COUNTY FLORIDA CHICKEN ORDINANCE - Avid Homestead

Since you obviously love chickens, then check out this site...its great for those of us who have chickens...

Brevard County FL Ordinance change

Here is the answer to your question about the pitt bulls...

Brevard County Florida Pitbull Laws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County