Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,818 times

Advertisements

Our family will be moving to Florida and I am really hoping to get some good info on schools.
We love Merritt Island, Melbourne areas and maybe even Titusville; we have seen the school ratings listed online but I'd love some resident parent input. For instance the school my kids are enrolled in now doesn't show a very high school rating but it is an amazing school, filled with such great teachers and sense of community that I recommend it to anyone that asks.
Melbourne seems to have so many different schools and ratings that i am starting to feel overwhelmed when looking for houses online. When I search houses in Melbourne the school rating really differs from house to house. So knowing which areas of Melbourne or school districts to shoot for would be great!
I think hearing how parents feel about the schools their kids are enrolled in would make me feel better with the choices we have.
THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 08:07 PM

11 posts, read 12,539 times
My husbands friend from work lives in Brevard county and his kids are in a lottery school-West Shore jr. sr. high school 7-12 grade in Melbourne. They love the school.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
I too will be moving to the area and would like info on broward county schools. floridasaltlife... what is a 'lottery' school?

Old 04-27-2017, 05:02 PM

210 posts, read 276,775 times
"lottery" schools aka choice schools are schools that are open to the entire county but the only way to gain admission is by having your child's name drawn for the lottery (siblings get preference once one is in though). Most of these schools have a specialty of some sort.

Freedom 7 Elementary is an IB school & they wear uniforms- my sons attended here and it was great. It was more academically challenging than other Brevard Elementary Schools

West Melbourne School of Science is obviously has a science focus & they wear uniforms I have heard great things about this school. The parents and students really seem to love it. It was my first choice for Brevard Schools when we moved here

Stevenson has a focus on the arts (not sure about uniforms. I don't know much about this school)

West Shore & Edgewood have more challenging academics Both are excellent schools and just made the "Top 100 High Schools" list for national high schools

All of these schools in my experience tend to be more challenging as far as academics go.

There are also the magnet schools which require an application rather than the lottery:

Stone- focus on robotics (I have heard the academics are not as tough as other magnet and choice schools)

Cambridge Elementary (I can't tell what their focus is from their website and I don't know anything about this school),

Golf View (elementary)- focuses on a STEM program (science, technology, engineering and math no uniforms don't know much about this school),

McNair Middle School from their website:
McNair Magnet School operates as a team-based school with arts, engineering, and technology infusion.

Teaming promotes communication and fellowship that contributes to positive morale and school spirit. Arts and technology infusion allows each student to use dance, drama, music, the visual arts or a variety of technology tools and products to demonstrate mastery in each content area.

Palm Bay High has a STEAM focus (science, technology, engineering, arts and math I don't know anything about this school)

Cocoa Beach and Melbourne High each have IB programs but they are an application rather than a lottery. Both of these programs are great and become VERY work intensive and academically challenging in 11th and 12th grade

You have to apply for the lotterybetween November 5th-Janurary 9th the school year prior to desired admission
Here is a link that explains how the lottery works: Browser Not Supported

As of right now if you choose to send your child to a school your address is not zoned for your are responsible for transportation, as it was eliminated three years ago due to a budget deficit. It is on the agenda for the next school board meeting, but even if it passes there will be no buses until 2018-2019 for these programs.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck with your move

Old 04-28-2017, 12:42 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrevardRelator View Post
"lottery" schools aka choice schools are schools that are open to the entire county but the only way to gain admission is by having your child's name drawn for the lottery (siblings get preference once one is in though). Most of these schools have a specialty of some sort.

Freedom 7 Elementary is an IB school & they wear uniforms- my sons attended here and it was great. It was more academically challenging than other Brevard Elementary Schools

West Melbourne School of Science is obviously has a science focus & they wear uniforms I have heard great things about this school. The parents and students really seem to love it. It was my first choice for Brevard Schools when we moved here

Stevenson has a focus on the arts (not sure about uniforms. I don't know much about this school)

West Shore & Edgewood have more challenging academics Both are excellent schools and just made the "Top 100 High Schools" list for national high schools

All of these schools in my experience tend to be more challenging as far as academics go.

There are also the magnet schools which require an application rather than the lottery:

Stone- focus on robotics (I have heard the academics are not as tough as other magnet and choice schools)

Cambridge Elementary (I can't tell what their focus is from their website and I don't know anything about this school),

Golf View (elementary)- focuses on a STEM program (science, technology, engineering and math no uniforms don't know much about this school),

McNair Middle School from their website:
McNair Magnet School operates as a team-based school with arts, engineering, and technology infusion.

Teaming promotes communication and fellowship that contributes to positive morale and school spirit. Arts and technology infusion allows each student to use dance, drama, music, the visual arts or a variety of technology tools and products to demonstrate mastery in each content area.

Palm Bay High has a STEAM focus (science, technology, engineering, arts and math I don't know anything about this school)

Cocoa Beach and Melbourne High each have IB programs but they are an application rather than a lottery. Both of these programs are great and become VERY work intensive and academically challenging in 11th and 12th grade

You have to apply for the lotterybetween November 5th-Janurary 9th the school year prior to desired admission
Here is a link that explains how the lottery works: Browser Not Supported

As of right now if you choose to send your child to a school your address is not zoned for your are responsible for transportation, as it was eliminated three years ago due to a budget deficit. It is on the agenda for the next school board meeting, but even if it passes there will be no buses until 2018-2019 for these programs.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck with your move
Why the emphasis on the uniforms?

Old 04-28-2017, 04:35 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,363 times
Schools that require uniforms tend to be more academically focused. The outside pressure of what the kids wear is eliminated if everyone is basically wearing the same thing. This usually helps the kids to focus on school activities. It also shows you belong to this school in a unified way. If you want to be part of this special program, you must wear the uniform. Finally, it is so much easier on the parents not having to worry if their kids have the latest, trendy clothing. I for one love it.
I see this in all our NY charter schools where academics are much higher than typical public schools. The kids have a feeling of belonging and I think it helps them in the long run.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:08 AM

210 posts, read 276,775 times
What Nypafl4u said is absolutely right. I also mentioned it because it is a unique feature of those schools, considering they are public schools. Some people feel positively about it, while others would not like it. I personally loved it, while my sons were not fond of it.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:52 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
Schools that require uniforms tend to be more academically focused. The outside pressure of what the kids wear is eliminated if everyone is basically wearing the same thing. This usually helps the kids to focus on school activities. It also shows you belong to this school in a unified way. If you want to be part of this special program, you must wear the uniform. Finally, it is so much easier on the parents not having to worry if their kids have the latest, trendy clothing. I for one love it.
I see this in all our NY charter schools where academics are much higher than typical public schools. The kids have a feeling of belonging and I think it helps them in the long run.
I'm sure the intent is as you've related and superficially it sounds fine, but I wonder if there is any evidence such is the case?

Old 04-28-2017, 09:05 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,363 times
I can only go by what I see. In my profession, I work with many charter schools, particularly in Brooklyn and the Bronx. These schools, in my case, are all in economically depressed and academically challenged neighborhoods. In fact, in the NYC boroughs, charters are opened only in these areas. In most cases, these schools excell academically as compared to identical regular public schools in the same building. I doubt you can prove uniforms alone make the difference, but it is all part of the experience. As is low tolerance for bad behaviors. Like having to stay in a straight line when walking down the hallways. It is strict and very private school like. But the results are undeniable. Significantly better grades, higher % at grade level and more that end up going to college. The waiting lists are huge and I can see why. It is a private school experience for free. At least that is how it is in NY. Florida may be different, but having structure, like uniforms is a part of it in my opinion.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:27 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,166,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
I can only go by what I see. In my profession, I work with many charter schools, particularly in Brooklyn and the Bronx. These schools, in my case, are all in economically depressed and academically challenged neighborhoods. In fact, in the NYC boroughs, charters are opened only in these areas. In most cases, these schools excell academically as compared to identical regular public schools in the same building. I doubt you can prove uniforms alone make the difference, but it is all part of the experience. As is low tolerance for bad behaviors. Like having to stay in a straight line when walking down the hallways. It is strict and very private school like. But the results are undeniable. Significantly better grades, higher % at grade level and more that end up going to college. The waiting lists are huge and I can see why. It is a private school experience for free. At least that is how it is in NY. Florida may be different, but having structure, like uniforms is a part of it in my opinion.
Charter schools in Florida do not necessarily mean they are better or even equal to a public school. We have had many have to close because of poor managemnt by the bi Will not let me correct anything! Anyway the people running the show mismanage the money and others because they ended up with F grades and the county closes them. They do not have the special classes to help kids will learning difficulties in some of them etc. With new ruling there may be transportation to the schools from 1 school in your area so it will mean riding a bus from a local school to get there. They are a mess right now getting your kids to and from school with so many parents havin to pick up kids etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County