Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 04:52 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,683,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbirdsparkle View Post
Thanks for the responses...

After lots of thought and discussion, we have decided to homeschool for another year while we take the time to get to look for long term housing and research schools more.

We will be there in a couple of weeks. I've had my sad moments, but I am so excited to move to Florida!! I'm looking forward to the adventure, and there is nothing like a fresh start!!! And if I get sad or anxious about leaving, I will just remind myself that come June it will be 115 degrees here and I would be begging my husband to take me somewhere, anywhere else, humidity be damned. Ha!
Careful what you look forward to with the summer heat in Florida. Beachside helps, but that humidity is a killer when it's 95-100 and no breeze. You will have the AC in the on position in you car almost always

Change can be good. Always a new adventure that usually leads to positive growth. Good luck with the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 06:11 AM

31 posts, read 75,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
Careful what you look forward to with the summer heat in Florida. Beachside helps, but that humidity is a killer when it's 95-100 and no breeze. You will have the AC in the on position in you car almost always

Change can be good. Always a new adventure that usually leads to positive growth. Good luck with the move.
Noted! I grew up down south and am used to summer humidity and mugginess. But I am totally prepared for the idea that Florida humidity may be on another level! But this desert heat and dryness is awful. Elementary school children out here have fine lines!

Old 04-26-2017, 06:13 AM

31 posts, read 75,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrevardRelator View Post
Since your children are already home schooled I think that is a great idea. It will help them transition more easily. If, through your research, you decide you want to enter your children in the lottery for a choice school the application period usually runs from November 5th - January 9th. I know a family that home schools and loves it. If you'd like send me a DM with your contact information and I will have her get in touch with you.

I moved from Michigan 7 years ago after living there my entire life. It was hard saying goodbye, but the weather and people here are great. Plus, now I have two homes instead of just one! If you look at the site Meet Up you can find groups for just about anything, and it is a great way to meet people with shared interests. Good luck with your new adventure.
Thank you!

Old 04-26-2017, 06:23 AM

166 posts, read 353,064 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses...

After lots of thought and discussion, we have decided to homeschool for another year while we take the time to get to look for long term housing and research schools more.

We will be there in a couple of weeks. I've had my sad moments, but I am so excited to move to Florida!! I'm looking forward to the adventure, and there is nothing like a fresh start!!! And if I get sad or anxious about leaving, I will just remind myself that come June it will be 115 degrees here and I would be begging my husband to take me somewhere, anywhere else, humidity be damned. Ha!
So excited for you! Keep us posted on your adventures!

Old 04-29-2017, 11:50 PM

33 posts, read 35,010 times
I am excited for you too and await updates on your move. Safe travels! I hope you find some good homeschool groups!!

Old 05-01-2017, 07:32 AM

55 posts, read 84,159 times
Good luck with the move and the Job. Great place to work, Corporate Culture is geared towards the employee. Enjoy

Old 05-02-2017, 05:57 AM

210 posts, read 277,329 times
Default Homeschooling Groups

Hi Songbirdsparkle!
I found a couple of Facebook Homeschooling groups that I thought you might like to check out:

Homeschooling in Brevard I heard is a very large active group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2569...c_location=ufi

Contemplating Homeschooling in Brevard is for anyone curious if homeschooling is a good match for them:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cont...c_location=ufi

Hope this helps!

Take Care,
Wendy

Quote:
So many positive comments about Viera! I will definitely check it out when I get there next month!

Last year I met a man who said he had been in behavioral health for many years. He also said that he felt middle school was such a traumatic time for kids that he took each of his four kids out of school in fifth grade, homeschooled them, and put them back in school in ninth grade! I know that probably sounds extreme, but that's the first thing that popped into my head when I read your comment. Yours is an interesting observation. And I used to work at a top rated k-12 school where the ongoing conversation among faculty was "How can we raise the middle school standards and reputation to equal that of the lower and upper schools?" Maybe so much of it really is the challenging age. I also notice that so many middle schools seem crowded....

For anyone still following this thread....I know there are several homeschool groups in Brevard. But does anyone out there have any personal experience with homeschooling or the homeschool community in the Melbourne area?

Old 05-08-2017, 12:03 PM

9 posts, read 18,939 times
Default Divorced Black Senior citizen considering move to Melbourne

To Piggy Back off Songbird's posts, I'm a divorced Black, vibrant senior citizen (a psychologist) who is contemplating a move to Melbourne. My original plan was to purchase a manufactured home (in either The Waters or Lamplight). Although I don't have any children, my concerns are basically the same as Songbirds in terms of diversity, racism, things to do where to live, etc.

I've found an apartment complex Grand Oaks at the Lake in West Melbourne but I don't know anything about the area. The complex is gated which I think is a good thing. I'm a very active "senior" and upwardly mobile professional. I'm a college professor and have applied to Florida Institute of Technology to teach but haven't heard from them as yet.

I would love some feedback on manufactured homes (Lamplight and The Waters in Melbourne Beach) vs renting an apartment. I'm not sure if I want to go into a 55+ community as there will be more diversity as a regular complex. I've started dating again and would like to make friends with like minded people. I'm not sure if I can afford a place by the beach as I will be on a fixed income. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

The good, bad and ugly will be appreciated.

Dr. C

Old 05-08-2017, 08:28 PM

I know someone who lives in Lamplighter that is currently selling and she had the following to say about your questions:

Each week there are many actives in our community. There are many different nationalities here in our community.
If you are social and want to participate in the actives you will never be bored. If you choose not to participate, you an enjoy the pool-hot tub, billiards, exercise room-tennis courts-pickle ball-boche ball and our 18 hole mini golf course.

They have BINGO each week-Aqua therapy in the heated pool. So many more that I can' think of right now.
What type of community is she looking for?
We have houses for over $100,000 in here and homes that are for same in the $40,000 and some lower if she is interested in doing some home improvements.

The lot rent is higher than other parks, but we have many more things to do. My husband and I searched the other parks and found this to be the one that was a better fit for us.

I would be glad to show her the community if she wants a non Cal Am sales person showing her. They tend to show the park at entrance and there is way more to our community than that. We have a dog park also.

The Waters is in a beautiful location and you can access both the ocean and the river. It is very quiet there and I have heard they are very strict about their rules. They do have a dock, clubhouse and pool

I never heard of Grand Oaks at the Lake until your post. It sounds like it has some interesting amenities, but some of the reviews about management concern me. You can't please everybody though.

If you'd like to take Linda up on the tour of Lamplighter let me know. I do not have it listed, nor will I receive money from the sale. I just know her and thought I would connect the two of you to see if you could help each other meet your goals.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:27 AM

@deltagirl9 Linda wanted you to know the tour is not obligation. She just felt it would be a good way for you to really know the area, talk to the neighbors and see if it was a good fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County