Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 07:37 PM

30 posts, read 42,799 times

Advertisements

We are interested in buying a house on Timberlane Dr in Cocoa. We have never lived in FL but will have jobs in Rockledge and Palm Bay. Some friends that live there say that Cocoa has a reputation for high crime and a run down feel...Would like opinions from others on this topic.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 07:46 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoffitt View Post
We are interested in buying a house on Timberlane Dr in Cocoa. We have never lived in FL but will have jobs in Rockledge and Palm Bay. Some friends that live there say that Cocoa has a reputation for high crime and a run down feel...Would like opinions from others on this topic.

Thanks for your help!
Having lived on the Space Coast for about 28-years (Melbourne/Satellite Beach), I would say there is some truth to what you have heard - Of course, there are both better and worse areas in Cocoa. (I guess it depends on what you are seeking). - Also, depending on where you are working in Palm Bay (Harris?), you may find distance and peak traffic times, are significant issues.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:49 PM

210 posts, read 277,329 times
I would google demographics & crime for the zipcode you are considering. You can also call the local police station to get an idea of the crime in the area also. Safety is all relative to what your comfort level is, so you'd need to judge for yourself. I agree that the commute from Cocoa to Palm Bay may be daunting. Have you considered Melbourne so that you are between both of your jobs? Just a thought. Good luck in your search!

Old 06-09-2017, 09:48 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
That is a pretty safe area of beautiful homes in Cocoa, but to me is sort of too far North to make the commute to Palm Bay.

I would check out South Brevard before biting the bullet in Cocoa.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:11 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Budget?

Cocoa is not a great area and far from Palm bay. You're better off looking beachside or in west Melbourne

Old 06-10-2017, 06:59 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,683,830 times
My biggest issue with that street is the proximity of I95 literally right behind you. For me, I would not want the noise of cars and trucks zooming by throughout the day and night. Yes, your windows will likely be closed with the AC running, but I enjoy going outside too. If it's the house I am thinking, it has over an acre of land which means you will be outside tending to it and hopefully enjoying it. That area is nicer for Cocoa.
My other concern (if you read my comments here in other posts) are the schools are OK for elementary but get bad as you go up grade wise. Not sure you have kids or plan alternative schooling. Just something to consider. I believe it is partially why that house (if I am correct) is on the market since Sept 2016 with many price drops. Feel free to DM if you want to discuss specifics.
You may do better, quiet wise and still get larger lots in North Merritt Island or Grant Valkaria further south. But it would be good to know your list of "must haves" first.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:03 AM

30 posts, read 42,799 times
Thanks everyone. Our budget is about $400k and we are empty nesters so not concerned about school districts. We have found several in the Lake Washington area and Palm Shores area that we like but it appears the market is pretty hot right now and houses get swept up pretty quickly. We are also hoping to find something with a little bit of land (.25 acres min) and a pool (or low enough price to install one).

I knew the commute would be an issue but google said it was 32 minutes. I don't know how accurate that is, but we had agreed that we could accept up to 30 minutes for the right house...

Old 06-10-2017, 08:17 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoffitt View Post
Thanks everyone. Our budget is about $400k and we are empty nesters so not concerned about school districts. We have found several in the Lake Washington area and Palm Shores area that we like but it appears the market is pretty hot right now and houses get swept up pretty quickly. We are also hoping to find something with a little bit of land (.25 acres min) and a pool (or low enough price to install one).

I knew the commute would be an issue but google said it was 32 minutes. I don't know how accurate that is, but we had agreed that we could accept up to 30 minutes for the right house...
With a budget of $400k and need to near palm bay there is NO reason for you to look into cocoa, esp only requiring 1/4 an acre.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:32 AM

210 posts, read 277,329 times
Your budget opens up a lot of areas for you. 1/4 acre is pretty easy to find in most areas of Brevard. When I am showing clients homes in different areas I have them write a pros and cons lists so they can narrow down what is most important to them.
For some, a larger house and yard is more important so they look further from the beach. For others, the beach is the number one priority and they are willing to settle for less house and yard than they would get for the same price in other areas. For most, the commute time is a big factor so they can have more time with family and friends and less time on the road.
I would definitely make the drive during your commute times to check the accuracy of Google Maps. 95 isn't too bad but back roads can add a ton of time to your commute.
Good luck finding your piece of paradise that is right for you.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:41 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,683,830 times
I agree, there are many choices in that price range for .25 acre. Think what is the most important to you to help narrow down the choices. For instance, if boating on the list, you can find a nice canal front with a dock. Oceanfront condo is a nice option if you love the breeze and view without worry of much maintenance. You fortunately have a lot of options. You should definetly visit the area and spend a week driving around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County