Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 11:16 AM

210 posts, read 277,329 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of building happening throughout Brevard County. Many feel the "Old Florida" is being destroyed to the detriment of the area.
What do you think?
Should hi-rises be allowed on the beach?
Should old neighborhoods be demolished to make way for new construction?
Should there be more protection for historical sites before they are all demolished for new construction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 12:48 PM

Default One of many examples

Huge upscale housing project for Satellite Beach

Last edited by BrevardREALTOR; 06-15-2017 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Bad link

Old 06-15-2017, 12:55 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Protect what you have now before it gets completely ruined like Fort Lauderdale.
It's criminal what they did to that area.
Just a big ugly concrete jungle beachside.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:02 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,683,830 times
I agree, no more high-rises. I love the older Florida look. It is possible to renovate and update without changing the style.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:07 PM

12 posts, read 22,341 times
It seems they build just to build, definitely needs to slow down. A plan would be nice and then stick to it

Old 06-16-2017, 04:02 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
I agree, no more high-rises. I love the older Florida look. It is possible to renovate and update without changing the style.
Me too. Hopefully it will be like sf and the bay area pf cali where building is limited and as a result it keeps property values increasing and sky high.

Sucks if your are trying to move here but if you're already a resident, well

Old 06-16-2017, 06:40 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrevardREALTOR View Post
There is a lot of building happening throughout Brevard County. Many feel the "Old Florida" is being destroyed to the detriment of the area.
What do you think?
Should hi-rises be allowed on the beach?
Should old neighborhoods be demolished to make way for new construction?
Should there be more protection for historical sites before they are all demolished for new construction?
First off, I liked your old name better.

It's about 20 years too late in Brevard County to think about stopping high-rises on the beach. I remember driving from Cocoa Beach to Indialantic as recently as the mid-90s and being able to see the waves from the highway all along that drive. Not anymore. For the record, in 2006 Cocoa Beach limited all new buildings to no more than four stories and greatly reduced the maximum density. I heartily approve of both those decisions. It will insure that the long stretch of one and two story buildings south of downtown Cocoa Beach doesn't turn into something like the Satellite and Indian Harbour Great Condo Wall of Florida.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:51 AM

370 posts, read 903,267 times
Agreed. No other way to put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Protect what you have now before it gets completely ruined like Fort Lauderdale.
It's criminal what they did to that area.
Just a big ugly concrete jungle beachside.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:07 PM

@1Insider I liked my old name better too, but I felt like it created some confusion
I definitely understand that things are already pretty far along with tall buildings, but if you look at Ft. Lauderdale it could be worse. I love the areas where you can still see the ocean, or at least sea grapes and Palm trees off A1A. Hopefully what is left will be retained.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:10 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Ecological protection is one thing, and I can see some argument to limiting development on the barrier islands, but inland? No. Don't limit building beyond actual historic preservation, ecological, and health & safety issues.

Really, we should have a system that gives the market the flexibility to meet demand in ways that encourage as little driving as possible. So, more low & mid rises allowed by default. Mixed use allowed by default. Accessory dwelling units allowed by default. No parking minimums. No mandatory setbacks. Etc.

Let the market meet needs, and use active concentrating methods (parks, transit, public pedestrian & bike infrastructure, etc.) to concentrate development rather than passively suppressing it. Otherwise, if growth picks up / continues, you'll just see massive increases of traffic with no alternatives, and a huge jump in housing costs from a suppressed market.

This should be policy in pretty much every town, let alone all these in Brevard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County