Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 02:27 PM

39 posts, read 110,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
It's amazing to see over 20 years since I graduated from high school here, the place didn't really change. The only thing that changed is widening of roads and more retail stores. So I'm convinced it will never be an Orlando or South FL thank goodness!
Yes there is A LOT of development going on now, residential, commercial and widening of roads. I think the Viera interchange is going to create a lot more development along Viera Blvd which may increase traffic (but again not like Orlando or South FL)...I am actually looking forward to a new organic grocer going in by us at the center on Viera & Murrell-they are also renovating the shopping center, YAY!!

BTW did you have a bad experience with an HOA before? I saw your post you want nothing to do with one, I can understand how you feel but some are not as bad as you think. Ours can sometimes be a bit annoying but overall has been pretty good. They just want to keep the home values up and keep the neighborhood looking presentable. But I do know some HOAs can be very difficult and picky. Unfortunately it leaves few options in the Viera/Suntree area as most of the subdivisions have HOAs and if they don't have a subdivision HOA they will have a Community Association. Both Viera East & Suntree have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,114 times
sorry to hijack thread but since we are discussing Viera and Suntree……. where are the boundaries for each. Since they are all unincorporated it is sometimes confusing of where people live. some say Viera, others say Rockledge , Melbourne or suntree and yet they live on the north side of Melbourne city limits, south side of Rockledge city limits, north of pineda causeway south of Viera Blvd.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:52 PM

283 posts, read 289,575 times
Excuse me for piggybacking on the OP, but I'm also considering a move to Melbourne. I would love to live in Satellite Beach/IHB/Indialantic, but I just can't find any (rental) homes that fit our preferences and price range. Looking to rent for the first couple of years before purchasing.

We are now looking at Viera and Suntree, and was wondering if anybody with young kids can offer some feedback on the area. The good and the bad. Thanks

Last edited by gatorlyn; 07-08-2018 at 07:06 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 08:15 AM

683 posts, read 853,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422 View Post
Yes there is A LOT of development going on now, residential, commercial and widening of roads. I think the Viera interchange is going to create a lot more development along Viera Blvd which may increase traffic (but again not like Orlando or South FL)...I am actually looking forward to a new organic grocer going in by us at the center on Viera & Murrell-they are also renovating the shopping center, YAY!!

BTW did you have a bad experience with an HOA before? I saw your post you want nothing to do with one, I can understand how you feel but some are not as bad as you think. Ours can sometimes be a bit annoying but overall has been pretty good. They just want to keep the home values up and keep the neighborhood looking presentable. But I do know some HOAs can be very difficult and picky. Unfortunately it leaves few options in the Viera/Suntree area as most of the subdivisions have HOAs and if they don't have a subdivision HOA they will have a Community Association. Both Viera East & Suntree have them.
I know there are some good HOA's. I was the Treasurer when I had my condo in Miami. I was fair and not a nit picker. But for the most part I really dislike them. I still own my house in Phoenix and I have an HOA. Things like you can't have your trash bins on the side of your house, pet restrictions and hour limits of when you can have guests park on the street really annoy me.

Then you have neighbors that call for things that are not true. I had a neighbor say that I prop the pedestrian door(next to gate) open. HOA called me and I told them I don't do that and I put in a complaint about the gate door not closing automatically a month ago and it is still not fixed. She sheepishly said I see you did and we are working on it. smh Plus the expenses. I pay $130 per month which is high for a house. It only covers the street maintenance, gate, and property mgmt. These are things I don't need.

The way I see it. I can find a neighborhood where the people keep it up and pay nothing. Also won't have the aggravation. So I've been looking in Palm Bay, Melbourne, Cocoa, and Rockledge. Each city has a part where the neighborhoods look great. I say Brevard County for the most part is the last of a dying breed of no HOA homes. I like that you can even buy a lot here and build your house. I'm thinking of buying a lot in Palm Bay right across the street from the house I grew up in. Ha ha. But most likely I will either do Melbourne, Cocoa, or Rockledge.

Viera is very nice but is not how I remember it. It is mostly retired or elderly people now. 20 years ago there were a lot of professional people in this area. I imagine they all left when the housing market crashed. Viera is the new West Melbourne.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:36 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:

Viera is very nice but is not how I remember it. It is mostly retired or elderly people now. 20 years ago there were a lot of professional people in this area. I imagine they all left when the housing market crashed. Viera is the new West Melbourne.
Still as lot of yuppies in viera imo. They hang out at WOB or the melting pot in the avenues

Old 07-10-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Still as lot of yuppies in viera imo. They hang out at WOB or the melting pot in the avenues
Yes. I stand corrected. The avenues was not there when I lived in Brevard. I actually went to BB&B and saw them.

What is the WOB?

Old 07-10-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Yes. I stand corrected. The avenues was not there when I lived in Brevard. I actually went to BB&B and saw them.

What is the WOB?
World of beer

Old 07-31-2018, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 4,769 times
Default Unbelievable...

Quote:
I'm renting in Viera for the for the first year. Then I'll buy next year. It's a great town, but I haven't looked at buying house yet. I thought all these homes are have a HOA here. I don't want any parts of that. But if they don't I'll look to buy here.

That's another reason why I moved back. There are still quite a few areas in Brevard where you can buy without having an HOA.
I now very clearly understand your concerns regarding HOAs. While reviewing online the HOA rules and regs for a home in Viera (east), I found wording that requires board approval of any pets other than dogs or cats...and then if the board does approve, the pet must be "permanently caged" in the home. I've had my parrot for 16 years and I refuse to live anywhere that I have to request board approval to have her in MY home...and I refuse to live anywhere that requires that I keep her "permanently caged". I even emailed the HOA to get verification that I was reading the rules and regs correctly and they replied that yes, those are the rules and regs regarding pets other than cats or dogs.

It's absolutely beyond comprehension to me that an HOA can demand this level of control over a homeowner's life. Is this level of control the norm for HOAs in the area? SMH

Old 08-01-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretire26 View Post
I now very clearly understand your concerns regarding HOAs. While reviewing online the HOA rules and regs for a home in Viera (east), I found wording that requires board approval of any pets other than dogs or cats...and then if the board does approve, the pet must be "permanently caged" in the home. I've had my parrot for 16 years and I refuse to live anywhere that I have to request board approval to have her in MY home...and I refuse to live anywhere that requires that I keep her "permanently caged". I even emailed the HOA to get verification that I was reading the rules and regs correctly and they replied that yes, those are the rules and regs regarding pets other than cats or dogs.

It's absolutely beyond comprehension to me that an HOA can demand this level of control over a homeowner's life. Is this level of control the norm for HOAs in the area? SMH
This is extreme. But not surprising at all. Not to offend anyone but the extreme HOA's are usually the retired people late 60 to 80's. They have honestly nothing better to do but to make up outrageous rules. Plus I'd rather spend my money on what is important. Sometimes these HOA's want to spend money on a million signs and flowers around the entrances. Or paying for a property manager. You are paying extra for things you don't need if you have a home without an HOA.

I just got a letter from my HOA today about my shrubs in my front yard. I immediately called my renter. They took a picture and sent it to me saying they were confused, as was I. It's not bad at all. I expecting to see some weeds and wild bushes, but nothing of the sort. I honestly don't have time for it. If I'm paying a mortgage, the last thing I want is somebody telling me what kind of pet to have, what color to paint my house, where I can park, etc. Honestly it's like having your parents telling you what to do all over again.

So as soon as I sell my home in Phoenix which will be this month. I'm buying a house in Brevard with No HOA. I rode around Rockledge today from the homes I saw on Zip Realty. Very nice neighborhood. Everybody keeps their lawn cut and not trashy at all. No HOA. There are plenty of neighborhoods like this in Brevard.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:38 AM

Quote:
This is extreme. But not surprising at all. Not to offend anyone but the extreme HOA's are usually the retired people late 60 to 80's. They have honestly nothing better to do but to make up outrageous rules. .
It's so true though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County