U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2008, 05:43 PM

30 posts, read 107,333 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are looking to move from up north to Florida and I have been doing a lot of research to figure out what area would be best for us. We are not rich, we are a young family with an almost 3 year old and a 5 month old. I would love to raise our kids somewhere fun and exciting, where there's always something to do. Up here we have a big fat NOTHING and I get depressed sitting in this house day in and day out. This is why I originally wanted to move to the Orlando area. However, reading the Orlando forum was a huge turn off and I think I change my mind about living there which is a bummer, because I was really excited about that.

Another area I had looked into was Brevard County. Houses are very affordable in Palm Bay, but I worry that there's a reason for it.

Basically, I'm looking for a nice place to raise a family that's still close to fun things to do (I'm already planning on annual Sea World passes) but not somewhere we're going to struggle to survive financially. We'd need 3 bedrooms and would probably rent at first until we would be ready to buy a house.

I should also mention that I have a family member in Celebration, a very close friend in Daytona Beach (we cannot afford to live there) and another friend in Davenport, both of whom I would like to spend time with so I wouldn't want to live TOO far from them.

Does anyone have any suggestions or could anyone shed some light on the Palm Bay/Brevard County area? Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 06:58 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,806,507 times
You can`t really base a decision on a internet forum. If I would have seen this forum 25 years ago when I came here from up nawth I would have never came.

But I would have missed out because I love living in Florida.

Best thing you can do is come down and look around but you don't really know for sure until you live some place but just don`t 100% base a decision on a forum use it as a tool.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:36 PM

You do have a valid point. It's refreshing to hear something positive, thanks

Old 07-07-2008, 09:31 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,687,782 times
If you are not rich the most important thing in your decision to move to Florida should be if you and your husband can secure a job that could provide you with the lifestyle you seek. I would suggest sticking to the major cities such as Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and the such, that will provide you with more employment opportunities. Be prepared to accept lower wages than P.A. Make sure that you come down to Florida and visit for a couple of weeks so that you can get a true feel for what Florida is and if it fits what you and your family are looking for. Florida is not for everyone, the weather should not be the only consideration when planning this move.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:41 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,010,027 times
I agree that the job situation will probably be the determining factor. And just as Florida is not for everyone, different people have different things they want. Personally all things being equal (ie. same job, same house, etc.) I would take Brevard County hands down, no contest. It is really really beautiful and not as congested as Orlando. Tehre's Merritt Island for birding and you're not far from St. Augustine, one of my favorite cities in Florida. But Brevard County could be seen as boring by some people and it certainly has a higher chance of getting significant hurricane damage.

I don't really know what you are looking for but if I were you I would also consider the Jacksonville / St. Augustine area.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,806,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myjanuarygirl View Post
You do have a valid point. It's refreshing to hear something positive, thanks

The only thing I know about Palm Bay is it`s always on the news for some wierd crime. I dont know anything else about the area but really look into that area if you want to move there.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:54 AM

Thanks very much for the input, everyone. That's what I was worried about Alphaman.

I have spent a lot of time in Florida over the years and have visited numerous cities. My family used to live in the Keys and it got boring there quick. I've always loved Orlando the most as there's never a dull moment.

What I'm hearing about the wages scares me. My husband would need to make more than he does here so I could stay home with the kids.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 AM

5,973 posts, read 3,687,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myjanuarygirl View Post
Thanks very much for the input, everyone. That's what I was worried about Alphaman.

I have spent a lot of time in Florida over the years and have visited numerous cities. My family used to live in the Keys and it got boring there quick. I've always loved Orlando the most as there's never a dull moment.

What I'm hearing about the wages scares me. My husband would need to make more than he does here so I could stay home with the kids.

The low wages are a major concern in Florida, I would make sure a job is secured for the pay you require before you make the move from P.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County