Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 04:48 PM

249 posts, read 882,765 times

Advertisements

They always want to steer gay people to the known accepted areas.I say live your life where you choose.No one gave the world to straight people.Godd luck and God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 05:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC49 View Post
They always want to steer gay people to the known accepted areas.I say live your life where you choose.No one gave the world to straight people.Godd luck and God Bless.
Who is "they?"

I don't care if the OP wants to live next door to me. But they seemed to be looking for a place that they could feel comfortable living as an openly gay couple without fear of harrassment or worse, and some of us made suggestions about areas known as "gay friendly." Take 'em or leave 'em, but don't be a douche about it.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC49 View Post
Should they choose a place where other will not accept them?

Will they have a fulfilling life in those areas?

Just like everything it takes time for certain things to become accepted everywhere. Some places are more accepting and many of these places were not accepting a few years back.

I have no problem if they want to move next door. I have many gay friends but i would not tell them to move to a place where they are going to be made to feel uncomfortable at every turn.

I don't know your predilection but it seems to me you are trying to be politically correct without respect for the true issue.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:04 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascottw View Post
Hello there!

My question is simple and is merely a question. (all other posts like this quickly turned into a shouting match, please don't do it with this one). I currently live in Pennsylvania (so I have experience with legislation being against me). My question is, though, would I be able to go for a walk with my boyfriend whilst holding his hand or having my arm around him and not have to worry about being killed or injured in any way? I mean, we've been together for almost 2 years and are monogamous and look down on promiscuity and such. We both dress the gender we are and aren't flamboyant. Would that be safe to do? (obviously you would have to double check the neighborhood, but I'm talking in general)

I have already made the decision to move down there with my boyfriend.

Again, please, this is a question and not a debate over anything so an answer and an answer alone will suffice just fine! THANK YOU! ^_^
I think you will be fine. I personally cannot stand that there are people like that, that would make it where you and your boyfriend would even have to worry about that. But, you said you don't want this to turn into an argument, and I'd hate to be the reason for that by voicing my opinions on all of this, so that's all I'll say about that.

Anyway, I was born and raised in Jacksonville, FL. And I have also lived in Orange Park (a suburb of Jacksonville basically), Ft. Myers, Ft. Laurdale, Daytona Beach, Palm Coast, etc. Now, I am "straight", and I have been married for 3 years. However, I have several gay friends that live in the Jacksonville area (Jacksonville, Orange Park, and even a little farther south in St. Augustine) and they don't have any big issues because of things like them holding hands or kissing in public. I also have gay friends that live in the Ft. Lauderdale area (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Plantation, Davie, etc.) and same thing, they don't have to worry about someone hurting them or something because they are walking around holding hands.

I also have to add that my little brother is gay and he is from Jacksonville as well. He now lives in SLC Utah (he's really big into winter sports), and has for about 3 years now, but he really misses FL and is planning to move back sometime in the next couple years. He hasn't really had any issues because he is gay being in SLC, he says there's actually a pretty big gay community in SLC. But, he just loves FL. I can't blame him because my husband and I love FL as well. My brother is like you and your boyfriend in some ways. He is a man and acts like a man, he dresses like a man, etc. He is in great shape, very athletic, loves sport-type activities like skiing, snowboarding, surfing, etc... This has nothing to do with anything really, but I just have to say, when my brother came out to my parents (I had already known for a long time, but my brother and I are extremely close, he's like my best friend), one of the first things our dad said was that my brother must be confused! He said there's no way he's gay because he's so athletic! Haha! What? When I lived in south FL, some of the most in-shape, attractive men were gay! I don't know where he got that if your a gay man you can't be "manly" or athletic, or into sports, but that was one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard!

Anyway, again, I don't think you will have any serious problems. My brother never has, (thank God for that because I promise you, someone that hurt him would hate having to deal with me! lol! I may be a tiny little 5'3 108lb girl, but I will not put up with that), and neither have any of my gay friends (as far as I know anyway, I'm obviously not with all of them 24/7 but I would think that if something happened I'd hear about it). Now, I can't tell you that you won't run into ignorant, prejudice people. As you know, there are people like that everywhere, unfortunately. And, because I have never lived in Melbourne (I do have a very good, long time friend who moved down there to be with who is now his wife though) I can't really tell you how people are there. But, again, I have lived in many different cities in FL, and I have lived in FL for all but maybe 2 years of my life. So, just from what I know about the state of FL, I would feel confident in saying you will most likely not have any serious issues.

All that being said, I would say that being in a larger city would probably be easier. If you lived somewhere like Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa or Jacksonville, you and your boyfriend would fit right in. Especially in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area, there are all different types of people/couples. My best friend and her soon-to-be husband live down in south FL, they are a biracial couple, my best friend is white and her fiance is black (they are going to have the most beautiful kids! ). And though they do have someone make a rude or ignorant comment every now and then, it hasn't ever gone beyond that. When I lived down there I never had any serious issues personally, but my husband and I both have the same skin color, and I'm a women and he's a man, so we do have it a lot easier than some people do. We have lived in places though where people didn't think we should be together because my husband was born in Russia (even though he has lived in the US since he was 9 years old) and I am from the US. Also, my brother never had any problems when coming to visit me in south FL. He actually has had a great time every time he's been in south FL.

So, okay, now that I have written a novel for an answer, I guess I'll go ahead and wrap this post up. I have to say one last time though, I really think you and your boyfriend won't have to worry about something really bad happening. Especially if you ever move to one of the larger cities in FL. And again, as you know, there are ignorant people everywhere! My husband and I have had to deal with people making ignorant comments about us as soon as they hear us talk to each other because they don't think that I should be with someone who's not from where I'm from! As sad as it is, that's just something that you have to try and ignore, or try and get use to, where ever you live really. There is always going to be someone that thinks that I should have married an American, or that thinks my best friend should be with a white man, or that thinks my brother should be with women. And for whatever reason, some of those people think that we want their opinion on that, or that we care about their opinion on that. But, I think you will like FL. Hopefully you'll like FL anyway. So, I guess that's it. I think it's wonderful that you are moving to be with your boyfriend, you have to be so excited! I really, really hope that you like living in FL and I wish you and your boyfriend both the very best luck!

Old 11-14-2009, 09:53 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,018 times
Quote:
Hello there!

My question is simple and is merely a question. (all other posts like this quickly turned into a shouting match, please don't do it with this one). I currently live in Pennsylvania (so I have experience with legislation being against me). My question is, though, would I be able to go for a walk with my boyfriend whilst holding his hand or having my arm around him and not have to worry about being killed or injured in any way? I mean, we've been together for almost 2 years and are monogamous and look down on promiscuity and such. We both dress the gender we are and aren't flamboyant. Would that be safe to do? (obviously you would have to double check the neighborhood, but I'm talking in general)

Again, please, this is a question and not a debate over anything so an answer and an answer alone will suffice just fine! THANK YOU! ^_^
Well...

I live in Miami (not South Beach though) and I don't think I ever recall ever seeing two men holding hands on the streets here or the times I have been in Broward. I wouldn't do it.

Displaying affection in public is not very common in South Florida in general, even within the straight community. Probably because nobody walks here, except for the beach.

Now, people at least in Miami & Broward for the most part are very open minded about gay people. The only exception are some Latinos gansta wannabe who tend to be homophobic(think Pitbull style). However nobody is gonna look you down, you can talk openly about your relationship, most men will not feel threaten (and some don't have problems having gay men as friends) and women could care less.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:59 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,561,719 times
to the OP well I have seen gay couples hold hands on South Beach and nobody bats an eye (well some do) but other than that I wouldn't worry too much about Florida. The state is not homophobic for the most part and even Disney has it's Gay Days in June!

Old 11-14-2009, 03:15 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,770,893 times
Quote:
Hello there!

I think it depends on the area..but.. a good rule of thumb is to be discreet and not do any outward homosexual indicators while in public . Keep it for behind closed doors . It may be quite different in another hundred years however . I think this is best for your safety right now.

Last edited by 007.5; 11-14-2009 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-05-2013, 07:30 AM

10 posts, read 33,073 times
I know this is in old thread...just wondering if the original poster has moved to Melbourne. We are a gay couple moving to Melbourne from Thailand (LA before that). Coming from a liberal city like LA and a very gay friendly Thailand - we know it will take a lot of adjustment. We would love to meet new gay friends here :-)

Old 07-25-2013, 01:13 PM

29 posts, read 131,174 times
I'm not gay, but I find that where there isn't much acceptance of homesexuality there isn't much acceptance of other types of "different" people either.

My husband and I are an interracial couple, I'm actually half white and half Hatian but I look Asian (lol) and my husband is black. We just got orders to Patrick AFB and after reading this thread about how conservative the area is I'm getting worried that we are going to get a lot of sideways looks. Here in Arizona I've never received any negative comments about my tattoos or nose piercing and I'm wondering if that will change drastically in Florida...

Old 07-25-2013, 03:23 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fionafrances View Post
I'm not gay, but I find that where there isn't much acceptance of homesexuality there isn't much acceptance of other types of "different" people either.

My husband and I are an interracial couple, I'm actually half white and half Hatian but I look Asian (lol) and my husband is black. We just got orders to Patrick AFB and after reading this thread about how conservative the area is I'm getting worried that we are going to get a lot of sideways looks. Here in Arizona I've never received any negative comments about my tattoos or nose piercing and I'm wondering if that will change drastically in Florida...
I don't think Brevard is that backwards. The central part of the state is pretty moderate, north Florida is red, south Florida is blue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County