U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2009, 08:16 AM

468 posts, read 588,070 times
Default Relocating from AZ to Cocoa Beach

I didn't see a forum specific to Cocoa Beach...

My husband and I are considering a job relocation. Although he's a flight attendant and will be flying out of Ft Lauderdale he can have the option Where he can select Cocoa Beach or Ft Lauderdale to actually live. I will be looking for admin jobs in either city. We are in our mid 40's, previouly lived in Dallas, in Hawaii and San Diego, love beaches.

Can someone please share what rent is for a 2-3 bedroom home (we don't want to buy), approx cost of utilities, gas prices, safe areas, (since I will be home alone alot) etc? Were just trying to get some idea before he accepts the location.
Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 12:50 PM

Or.....would Melbourne be a better city? We are concerned with the commute to Orlando (if we live near Cocoa Beach), as he would have to fly out of Orlando. HELP!!

Old 09-19-2009, 04:25 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,644,294 times
Stay in AZ, you will regret it here.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:44 PM

110 posts, read 345,585 times
Arrow Two very different place

Fort Lauderdale and Cocoa Beach are 2 very different places. Fort Lauderdale is more of an urban environment with high rise condos, heavy traffic, good restaurants and more entertainment options. Cocoa Beach on the other hand is a laid back beach town. It is cheaper than Fort Lauderdale. You might be able to afford a condo on the ocean. Don't count on great restaurants or entertainment. Access to Orlando is very easy via the Beach Line. Of course you can take advantage of better restaurants and the theme parks in Orlando. If the beach/nature is your primary interest, Cocoa Beach would be the the better choice. If you want a more sophisticated urban environment, Fort Lauderdale is the better choice.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:29 PM

Can you give me some idea as to prices in the Cocoa Beach area? Gas, utilities, ect? We will be looking at 2 bedroom places, although not sure if it will be a single family home,etc. Gas here on AZ costs us $2.69/gal, rent is $1100/mo for a 1000 sqft, and our electric bill for a single fam home runs about $350/mo (which I feel is outrageous). I'm sure it's much less expensive out there!

Old 09-20-2009, 07:41 PM

11,502 posts, read 8,174,295 times
Being an avid Florida lover I would NOT suggest you move to Cocoa Beach.

Look for towns that are on the up rise. Cocoa Beach is beautiful but the town is slowly becoming a Daytona Beach and that is not nice.

Since you lived in Dallas, San Diego and Hawaii and love the beaches I would go for the Ft Lauderdale area myself.

Nicer, cleaner and of course a wonderful beach.

Make a list of a few towns of your choice and make sure you visit them before moving. Even if it is for a couple days in each, spend time there.

Again, no way would I suggest Cocoa Beach.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 AM

110 posts, read 345,585 times
Arrow Know what you are looking for....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Being an avid Florida lover I would NOT suggest you move to Cocoa Beach.

Look for towns that are on the up rise. Cocoa Beach is beautiful but the town is slowly becoming a Daytona Beach and that is not nice.

Since you lived in Dallas, San Diego and Hawaii and love the beaches I would go for the Ft Lauderdale area myself.

Nicer, cleaner and of course a wonderful beach.

Make a list of a few towns of your choice and make sure you visit them before moving. Even if it is for a couple days in each, spend time there.

Again, no way would I suggest Cocoa Beach.
I would not say that Cocoa Beach is becoming Daytona Beach. It is still a relatively sleepy beach side town. This is especially true the further south you go in Cocoa Beach. Just north of Patrick Air Force Base, the beach is secluded, uncrowded and there is no public parking. Feels almost like a private beach at times. The school system is among the best in Florida.

Living in Fort Lauderdale isolates you from the beach with all the high rises/traffic etc. Given the South Florida location, summers will be hotter. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the weather you prefer. But again, if you are looking for a more urban experience, Fort Lauderdale would be best for you. If you are looking for a quieter area and are more into nature, then Cocoa Beach would work better. It depends on what you want.

I absolutely would agree with the advice that you visit both. It will help you make a decision.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:29 PM

Thanks much for the info! Again, can anyone share the rental housing costs out there in FL?

Old 09-28-2009, 03:04 PM

From what I've been researching, it looks like its now between Holly Hill and Daytona Beach, both of which look pretty good in regards to getting to the Daytona Airport easily...thanks for everyone's help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County