U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,638,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FertilityDoc View Post
Certainly I would not argue that the development of other methods of space exploration are not worthy enterprises. The bottom line though is that the resources allocated towards any kind of space exploration are going to be gutted. It is not just the loss of the shuttle. They are cutting back resources allocated to NASA. That will severely curtail their efforts. There is a lot of talk of outsourcing some of the functions of NASA to business enterprises but the dollars allocated will be smaller. This is going to be disastrous for the space coast economy in Brevard. Make no mistake about it.
Nothing is forever and this was coming for a long time. Time to move on to new things. The shuttle program prevented other, maybe more long term benefit spending. When you have one program sucking up all the available funds it is hard to do anything else. Even on less funds, if put to better use they will get more for the dollar. There was a time when they paid firemen to sit on trains with nothing to do just to keep them working till they retired.

Time for us to move on. Nothing wrong with the private sector, they have been involved from the beginning. The difference is, everything won't be cost plus. In other words no $3000.00 hammers just because the government will pay while others are paid to look the other way writing blank checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 06:15 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,783,893 times
I am deeply saddened to see the shuttles retired, they have been a big part of my life since I was a child. However, the shuttles are obsolete in many ways. They are beautiful orbiters that aided us in accomplishing some of the most amazing feats in human history. They are also so old that back in '02 NASA was scouring Ebay looking for ancient computer hardware (8086 microprocessors circa 1978!) that they can't get anywhere else now. It's time to move on.

Brevard has come a long way in the past twenty years or so and is no longer so dependent on the space program and defense contractors as it once was. I am sure it will be a difficult transition, but I am equally sure that the Space Coast will be OK.

As for the Cape itself - it's not like it's going to be abandoned or something. It is still one of the most optimal launch sites in the world - close to the equator with plenty of open ocean to absorb any potential disasters.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM

7 posts, read 9,622 times
Its close to two years. Any updates on the future of cape canaveral?

Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 AM

2,015 posts, read 2,481,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davor View Post
Its close to two years. Any updates on the future of cape canaveral?
It is going to continue to shoot rockets----just different ones to get man in space eventually and unmanned ones for now.

Next rocket launches

Date: Nov. 25 *
Mission: Mars Science Laboratory, Curiosity Rover
Launch Vehicle: Atlas V
Launch Site: Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.
Launch Pad: Space Launch Complex 41
Launch Time: 10:21 a.m. EST
Description: The Mars Science Laboratory is a rover that will assess whether Mars ever was, or is still today, an environment able to support microbial life and to determine the planet's habitability.

Date: Nov. 30 *
Mission: SpaceX
Launch Vehicle: Falcon 9/Dragon
Launch Site: Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.
Launch Pad: Space Launch Complex 40
Description: NASA is working with SpaceX to combine its last two demonstration flights. If approved, the Falcon 9 rocket would launch the Dragon capsule to the International Space Station for a docking.

There has been a down time between many of the programs before and it pretty much devastated the county back in the late 60s when muuch of the economy depended on the space proogram.....people have told me you would ride down a street and see signs in houses windows that said $100 take over payment. Hopefully now things are more diversified and the county won't suffer as badly.

Personally, I can't understand why we are tearing up the last shuttle while we have men on the space station. I think they should keep it at ready stage as a just in case.....I mean what if we need to get them off the space station and our partner in space has another rocket failure? Just does not make sense to me to not be prepared to make a rescue.

Last edited by Rabflmom; 09-29-2011 at 03:06 AM..

Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 AM

54 posts, read 68,945 times
Actually NASA announced the development of the next space vehicle, the SLS, a couple of weeks ago. Things are really begin to look up for not only NASA, but the Space Coast.

SLS: NASA’s Next Big Thing

Old 10-04-2011, 07:13 AM

2,015 posts, read 2,481,336 times
And they are currently looking for new astronauts. Looking for people with engineering , math, and science degrees.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:47 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,342,763 times
It all depends on funding, and fewer and fewer people want funding for any big government programs, especially ones they don't feel they directly benefit from, at least in the short run. When some politicians want budget offsets even before emergency aid is provided to hurricane victims (though at least one prominent politician calling for such offsets did not favor them when flood aid was provided to his district), the space program is losing favor among many. There is talk of privately financed space flights, but those are primarily vanity dreams of some of the super rich (and, as we saw when a few unprepared people died on Mt. Everest after paying guides big bucks to go up the mountain, a few deaths could lessen the appeal of such flights).

NASA can announce lots of big projects, but they have to get funding. There's a big deficit, with some expenditures (some entitlement programs) that are hard to cut, and others (e.g., two wars costing billions a month we got into without providing funding) that are only slowly being reduced, and that would be a tough nut to crack in any circumstance. To reduce debt at the same time as reducing revenue is, as most people handling household budgets know, is going to be really, really tough.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 800 times
I want to know what happened. High hopes of mars missions and trips to mars and now nothing what gives.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:48 AM

161 posts, read 186,244 times
I have no idea what the future holds, but just a couple points here... At one time NASA hired federal employees who held stable jobs, reasonable benefits, and not that much largess and over-management compaired to most federal agencies and programs if I had to say. There were also companies here who also got a lot of the true engineering work, building, design, test, and more serious engineering. It was a reasonable balance. But now mostly the federal employees now are no longer true engineers/scientists if I had to say except a few. Most probably just do paperwork, and it is super hard to get a job at NASA, much less one that does true engineering. Most of the companies here are huge now as compaired to the past. Ok, we talk about private sector, but these are sort of hybrid dependant companies. They do not sell products around the world. Recall companies like Lockheed had a division at one time that did sell commercial products around the world, if they do anything but depend on the government now, I am not sure what that is. Also the overhead in these companies is so astronomical that it reaches the stars :-).

Is that really private sector growth? We have gone from a public private balance without much largess, to a mostly private system full of largess , overmanaged, lots of overhead, and one that took out the commercial product sectors of these companies. Not sure if that is true private sector future or not.

Just a few thoughts. All the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County