Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:38 PM

8 posts, read 22,698 times

Advertisements

Also, regarding power outages, palm bay loses it first and gets it back last.. although we're getting more built up, we're still considered "BFE" by many, esp. the people in melbourne. We flood easier and the water recedes slower. Definitely check out the flood zone, and purchase flood insurance (not included in homeowner's!)! I've always thought of this area as a little "safe pocket" though, because even when we get a hurricane, it's rarely "the big one".. 2004 was just an odd year for us! I'm actually looking forward to some 'good storms' this season.. as a native Fl. I looooove june 1 - nov 1 !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 12:40 PM

34 posts, read 61,724 times
I'm wondering if someone could provide me with some more specific information on hurricane flooding. I'm considering relocating to the area and would love to live beachside. We've been looking at some of the houses on canals in satellite and melbourne beach. Does anyone know firsthand if these house experience storm surge flooding? Some of the canals in satellite beach have lansing and tortoise island as a buffer from the river, but I'm not really sure if it matters. I currently reside in NY and I had a number of friends that never considering flooding an issue before Sandy came to town. So, if anyone lives or knows someone that lives on a canal I'd love to hear if they've had any flooding issues over the years.

Also, what can I expect to pay for homeowners and flood insurance? Again, I'd like to hear from someone that knows firsthand. The research I've down has differed in amount by thousands sometimes so it's kind of hard to buy a house without actually knowing what I'll be paying for this.

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:29 AM

14 posts, read 70,328 times
As far as homeowners and flood insurance, there are factors that drastically influence how much insurance will be for a specific house. We found the best solution was to choose a specific house we were interested in, and get our insurance agency to run a basic quote for that specific house.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 AM

34 posts, read 61,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjthompson View Post
As far as homeowners and flood insurance, there are factors that drastically influence how much insurance will be for a specific house.

What are some of the factors that influence this? That would be good information to have while house hunting.

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2013, 06:54 AM

14 posts, read 70,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
What are some of the factors that influence this? That would be good information to have while house hunting.

Thanks!
A few of the factors we dealt with:
  • Wood vs cement vs steel construction
  • Elevation
  • Age of house
  • Age of roof
  • Type of roof
  • Type of subroofing material
  • Number of nails used to attach the roofing
  • Fasteners used to attach roof beams to walls
  • Foundation

We actually had to get a certification stating how close the nails on the roof were in order to qualify for a certain rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County